KNIGHT family of The White Hart, Broadoak (General)

by Heather @, Thursday, May 05, 2005, 15:08 (6924 days ago)

I have recently discovered the Knight family of Broadoak/Newnham in my husband's family history. His gggrandmother was Louisa Ann Knight born 1860 Broadoak, Westbury on Severn. On her birth certificate her father, John Knight, is described as a public house keeper. I have discovered that a John Knight was landlord of The White Hart, Broadoak in 1856 and am trying to find out if this was one and the same John. Louisa's mother was Ann Taylor.

Any help or comments on this family or The White Hart would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Knight family of The White Hart, Broadoak

by Slowhand\'s @, Thursday, May 12, 2005, 02:50 (6917 days ago) @ Heather

White Hart GL14 1JB

The White Hart had a long association with the Stroud Brewery Company. It is possible that the beers were once transported by train from Wallbridge station in Stroud via the Severn Railway Bridge to Lydney Junction and then by road to Newnham. The annual rateable value of the White Hart Inn was £21.10s.0d. in 1891 and 1903, closing at 11 p.m. The White Hart was in the parish of Westbury on Severn despite being closer to Newnham. An early photograph of the pub shows a simple whitewashed brick built building. Over the years the White Hart has been enlarged and the garden backing onto the River Severn has an old boat mast erected on it. Map reference SO 699129.

1856 John Knight

1876 William Knight

1885 Edwin King

1891 Edwin King. Alehouse. Stroud Brewery

1903 Edwin King. Alehouse. Stroud Brewery

1906,1919 Edwin King

1927 Alice Mary King (Mrs)

1939 Geo. Jn. Taylor

1996 David and Hazel Piner

by Heather @, Thursday, May 12, 2005, 13:49 (6917 days ago) @ Slowhand\'s

Many thanks, Slowhands, for the three lots of information. I knew that Louisa's father died some time before her mother and the 1861 entry confirms that there was a substantial age difference between them. I will now investigate whether or not he had been married before.

With grateful thanks

Heather

by Cathy, Sunday, January 28, 2007, 08:13 (6291 days ago) @ Heather

Hello Heather & Slowhands

I have only just discovered the Forest of Dean website, hence the several years' delay in adding my penn'orth - and asking for help & contact!

The Elizabeth Ayland of the 1861 census entry, quoted as being "sister" in the household of John Knight & family, is one of my direct ancestresses - & if, as I assume, she's John Knight's sister, rather than the servant Harriott Stephens' sister, then I am related to Heather's husband!

So - do either of you know any more about John Knight & his family? Any help & assistance you can give me will be very much appreciated - I am becoming bogged down in the incredible number of Aylands and a branch-out to a different name would be a good break!!

I look forward to hearing from you.

by hillfield, Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 08:13 (5561 days ago) @ Cathy

Hi Cathy

I am returning to this thread after a long break. I don't seem to have posted a reply to your original enquiry about Elizabeth Ayland nee Knight. Many apologies - don't know how I missed that.

At the time I couldn't have been much help but I have recently found out more about my John Knight. His sister Elizabeth was your ancestor Elizabeth Ayland.

I now believe that their father was Thomas Knight b c 1770 Fretherne. I believe that he was the same Thomas Knight who lost his life in a ferry boat accident in 1809. There is an account of the accident in 'The Ferry Between Newnham and Arlingham' by Margaret Willis

I have recently been in contact with another Ayland descendent, Cheryl. Let me know if you still need any information.

Heather

by Paulagee, Sunday, May 16, 2021, 03:28 (1069 days ago) @ hillfield

I no longer need to check on this family of Knights in Fretherne. I see from someone's family tree on Family search that Hannah Knight married in the UK in 1815 so she cannot be my ancestor. Thank you, in case you did take the time to read and reply. Sincerely Paula Griffiths

by Slowhand\\\'s @, Thursday, May 12, 2005, 02:55 (6917 days ago) @ Heather

1861 Newnham - Innkeeper John Knight, Newnham Street

John Knight 1801 Newnham, Gloucestershire, England Head Newnham Gloucestershire
Ann Knight 1830 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newnham Gloucestershire
Louisa Ann Knight 1860 Newnham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newnham Gloucestershire
Harriott Stephens 1845 Sybrook, Gloucestershire, England Servant Newnham Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Ayland 1791 Fretherne, Gloucestershire, England Sister Newnham Gloucestershire

Source information: RG9/1756
Registration district: Westbury On Severn
Sub-registration district: Newnham
ED, institution, or vessel: 33
Folio: 130
Page: 40
Household schedule number: 183

by Slowhand\\\\\\\'s @, Thursday, May 12, 2005, 03:02 (6917 days ago) @ Slowhand\\\'s

in 1851 - looks like John was married to Hannah

KNIGHT John 50 Waterman Newnham
Hannah 53 Arlingham
John 20 Newnham
Henry 18 Newnham
James 14 Newnham

1861 - above unfortunately does not name the Pub

by 1871 John appears to have died and Louisa Ann is a step daughter ..

Ann Davis 1830 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Wife Awre Gloucestershire
David Davis 1831 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Head Awre Gloucestershire
James Davis 1869 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre Gloucestershire
William Davis 1870 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre Gloucestershire
Louisa A Knight 1859 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Stepdaughter Awre Gloucestershire

RSS Feed of thread