Metcalf/Card Marriage 1827 (Parish Records)

by Janice Jones @, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 04:25 (3917 days ago)

After a long search, I have finally found the marriage of William Metcalf and Mary Card, on 13 July 1827, in Monmouth. I am not sure now where I found the IGI Batch Number M023854 (it doesn't show on the usual sites!) but there it was, confirming family lore.
However, since the information doesn't include the names of either parents, or any witnesses, I am still unsure of Mary Card's details. We think she was born either in London (Southwark area) or in Monmouth itself. An ancestor we are sure of was William Card, Baptized 13 May 1804 at St George the Martyr, Southwark, son of William and Elizabeth (Bradshaw) Card - it seems possible that Mary Card was his sister. William Card (Sr) died in Monmouth in 1816.

Are the original records readable anywhere? Or scanned and on-line? Any information would be welcomed! This has defeated me over many years!

Thanks, Janice

METCALF / CARD Marriage 1827 Monmouth

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 06:54 (3917 days ago) @ Janice Jones

After a long search, I have finally found the marriage of William Metcalf and Mary Card, on 13 July 1827, in Monmouth. I am not sure now where I found the IGI Batch Number M023854 (it doesn't show on the usual sites!) but there it was, confirming family lore.
However, since the information doesn't include the names of either parents, or any witnesses, I am still unsure of Mary Card's details. We think she was born either in London (Southwark area) or in Monmouth itself. An ancestor we are sure of was William Card, Baptized 13 May 1804 at St George the Martyr, Southwark, son of William and Elizabeth (Bradshaw) Card - it seems possible that Mary Card was his sister. William Card (Sr) died in Monmouth in 1816.

Are the original records readable anywhere? Or scanned and on-line? Any information would be welcomed! This has defeated me over many years!

Thanks, Janice

Year: 1827
Month: Jul
Day: 13
Grooms_Surname: METCALF
Grooms_Forenames: William
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: CARD
Brides_Forenames: Mary
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: William Card
Witness_2: Mary [illegible]
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference:
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Monmouth

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

METCALF/CARD/DYKE

by m p griffiths @, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 08:48 (3917 days ago) @ Janice Jones

As William CARD was a witness to the marriage of William METCALF and Mary CARD - 13 July 1827, William CARD was also a witness to the marriage of

Thomas DYKE (Widower) of this parish and Elizabeth CARD (widow) of this Parish - 15 February 1818

witnesses: Blanch GEORGE
William CARD

? Is Elizabeth CARD (Widow of a brother of William or his mother)

A2a (National Archives - seem to called up both Thomas DYKE and Elizabeth DYKE)

Will of Thomas (Grocer) 1833, proved 1835 and an Elizabeth (Spinster) - 1839 proved 1846.

Both these Wills are available from the National Archives

----

Both couples were married by Licence, these Licences could hold more clues.

On the 1861 Census in Whitchurch, Shropshire, Mary age 59 - says she was born in London City.

Have you checked for any CARD Wills, which could help? e.g. Will of William CARD 1816

-----

1841 Census, Monmouth - District 3 Page 6 of 22

Elizabeth DYKE - 65 - Indp - not born in County
William WHITEHEAD - 35, Grocer Shop - not born in County

and

William CARD is also - District 3 - page 9

William - 35 Attorney Clerk - not born in County
Maria - 30
William - 10
Ronert - 6
Alfred - 4
Maria - 2
Osman - 6 weeks

William METCALF - Ebberston/Monmouth

by m p griffiths @, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 15:14 (3915 days ago) @ Janice Jones

'William Metcalf, was a Land Surveyor at Monmouth and surveyed the Forest of Dean etc. for the then Government'

http://www.ebberston.ndo.co.uk/history.htm

Written by Charles METCALF born 1835 - nephew of William

1841 Census, Ebberston, Yorkshire

METCALF

George 45, Stone Mason
Rachel 40
Robert 20, William 11, Jane 2, Ann 3, Charles 6, Rachel 5 months

---

Although the article is about Ebberston, found the article fascinating, especially the passage on the Miller's daughter .....

'The Miller used to say his daughter carried a ton of potatoes in her mouth, because this was the price of false teeth worn by her. She was the first in the village to indulge in such a luxury'

False teeth..

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 16:33 (3915 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Brilliant find as ever MPG !

Keen readers of the "Sharpe" novels about the Napoleonic wars will know these fictional stories are very well researched historically from contempory diaries etc, not just from a military viewpoint but also wrt the social behaviour of the early 1800s such as how poorly-paid soldiers tried to eke out their pittance. It speaks of an experienced officer who removed his false front teeth before a battle, mainly for safe-keeping but also to help his frightening appearance. Healthy real teeth were so valuable then that soldiers would carry pincers and became expert at pulling them from the fallen after rifling their pockets. These could then be sold on for good money, being far preferable to the wealthy than the more normal wooden false teeth.
And we get squeamish over a visit to the dentist !

Thomas DYKE - Grocer (Croft-Y-Bwla)

by m p griffiths @, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 16:55 (3915 days ago) @ Jefff

I think the Will on National Archives might be useful and interesting if indeed he was the one who married the Widow Elizabeth CARD.

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croft-Y-Bwla

'Built in 1830 for Thomas DYKE a Monmouth Grocer'

As mentioned in earlier message - The National Archives have a number of 'hits' with Thomas DYKE, Monmouth

inc : 7 April 1823

Surrender of terms to merge in inheritance, and assignment of terms to attend inheritance

Robert JACKMAN of Coleford
Thomas DYKE of Monmouth
Elmes STEEL of Coleford
George & Ann DREW, and John BINGHAM
John TROTTER of Coleford
John LEWIS of hundred of St Briavels
William MORGAN of hundred of St Briavels, coalminer

Surrender from DYKE and STEEL to LEWIS

Assingment from JACKMAN to MORGAN

by m p griffiths @, Monday, August 05, 2013, 08:39 (3911 days ago) @ m p griffiths

The marriage 19 November 1801 - was between a William CURD (not CARD) - and Elizabeth BRADSHAW - copy or original marriage entry on Ancestry) St. Botolph, Bishopsgate, London

----

As it's a wet day - I've downloaded the Will (3 pages) of Thomas DYKE - Grocer of Monmouth - Proved 26 March 1836 - Thomas DYKE and William WEBB Exors. This shows how useful Wills can be.

Thomas mentions....

Sister: Elizabeth DYKE
Wife: Ann
Daughter : Margaret
Daughter: Elizabeth (wife of John WEBB) - Worcester Draper ****
Son: Thomas **
Brother-in-law : William WEBB (City of Hereford) Anne WEBB - wife of Thomas DYKE from Hereford re: marriage settlement Glos Archives

Will witnesses: Jas POWLES, Charles TYLER, Wiliam .....

He starts off by leaving his son Thomas, pieces of land at Little Stow field situate in the Parish of Monmouth, all the land, buildings, dwelling, warehouses at the top of Monnow Street in Monmouth and the premises now in his own occupation, property in Church Street, Tetbury, Slaughterhouses etc etc. Left 6 shillings to Thomas PRITCHARD who had been in his employ for many years. Does mention Duke of Beaufort - but can't make out this part.

'A well heeled man'

I'll try and decifer the Will (unless I get bored doing it!!)

*** not sure if this is the Thomas DYKE (too young) who married Elizabeth CARD the Widow? On the 1841 census for Monmouth, Thos DYKE aged 35, Grocer - (quite near to Monnow Street)

1851 Census, Priory Street, Monmouth

Thomas DYKE - 45, Magistrate Grocer, born Monmouth (Fod records - buried 23 February 1860 age 54)
Harriett Mary DYKE - 34, born Surrey, Wandsworth (widow on 1851 census in Monmouth)

---

Freebdm

Marriage : Wandsworth District O/N/D Qtr 1842

Thomas DYKE/Harriett Mary HOWELL

----

**** Fod Records

Marriage at Monmouth - 4 May 1830

John WEBB - residence: St Swithin Worcester City

married

Elizabeth DYKE of this Parish (by licence)

witnesses: Thomas/Margaret/William DYKE

1871 Census Worcestershire, Martleyn Road

John WEBB - Head - 67 Retired Gentleman, Income from House Rents & ??? born Hereford
Elizabeth - 64 - born Monmouth
Ann - daughter unmarried - 37 - born Worcester
Henry - son - unmarried 32 - Artist?
Margaret (Lariviere) La Rivine ?- age 61 Cousin and Sister & Law - 61 - born Monmouth

by Janice Jones @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 04:12 (3732 days ago) @ m p griffiths

I hope I am not the only Family Tree Maker who is easily distracted by new information and drifts off in another direction,forgetting to check back with our helpful searchers! My apologies!

Back to the question of Thomas DYKE - and I think it is solved now, with help from M P Grifffith, thus:

Thomas Dyke (born 1782 in Knighton, Rads.) married 1st Ann Webb in 1804.
Then he married 2nd, Elizabeth (nee Bradshaw) Card (Widow) in 1818.

Elizabeth Bradshaw (born 1783 Bishopsgate, London) married 1st William Card in 1801.
Then she married 2nd Thomas Dyke (Widower) in 1818.

Now I have a new quest but may have to change forums (?). I am looking for a MARIA JONES, born about 1806, in Monmouth (not sure if Town or County) who married William Card, born 1804, son of the above William and Elizabeth (Bradshaw) Card. She appears to have been connected to a Jones family who owned the Barley Mow Inn on Monnow Street. A member of that family, John Bowyer Jones, "of Monnow Street" was "present at the death" of Maria (Jones) Card in 1849, in Glendower Street, Monmouth. I am trying to see if Maria was John B Jones' sister, or maybe an aunt, but can't find her birth/parents. John B Jones parents I do have. They are William and Ann Jones. Maria could, at a stretch, be a daughter to a very young mother but then there is a gap of several years until John B is born in 1815.

Another puzzle to fill my days during a very cold winter in Canada!

William CARD/Marianne PRICE JONES/DUKES

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 09:40 (3732 days ago) @ Janice Jones

Marriage on Fod Records

8 September 1829

William CARD bachelor of this Parish

married

Marianne Price JONES

Spinster of this Parish

by Licence

witnesses: Thomas JONES - Mary JONES

---

Once again, as this marriage was by Licence - this should give more information

and to re-cap 1841 census

Monmouth

Agincourt Square

CARD

William - 35 - Attorney Clerk - all born in County
Maria - 30 (buried at Monmouth 5 March 1849 aged 43 = c1806)
William - 10 (William John CARD - 11 February 1831)
Robert - 6 (Robert Michael CARD - 28 October 1834)
Alfred - 4 (Alfred Thomas CARD - 19 October 1836)
Maria - 2 (Maria - 1 February 1839)
Osman - 6 weeks (Osman Mark - 26 April 1841)

---

+ Baptism at Monmouth 7 November 1843 (Parents William & Maria)

Emily DUKES CARD - died 29 March 1845

?

Baptism at Monmouth - 10 September 1806

Maria JONES

parents: John & Mary

Baptism at Monmouth - 29 August 1784

William DUKES JONES

parents: John & Mary

---

other siblings as well inc a Thomas in 1799

Marriage at Monmouth - 27 January 1784

John JONES of this parish

married

Mary DUKES of this parish

by banns

witnesses: Thomas JONES and Hannah PEARCE

----

There is also a baptism at Monmouth

2 August 1818

Wiliam DUKES JONES - parents William (Shoemaker) & Anne of this parish

John & Mary JONES did have a Son William christened in 1794.

also

Robert Michael CARD (Son of William & Maria CARD) - and Fanny Eleanor CARD (nee MORGAN) had a daughter

Emily DUKES CARD - christened at Upton Bishop - 19 September 1858

----

John Bowyer JONES was christened 1 January 1816 Monmouth - parents William (Shoemaker) and Anne.

--

JONES/BOWYER/GILES

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, February 01, 2014, 10:57 (3730 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Been sent a copy of a entry by Janice - which among other things listed : William DUKES JONES born 1 May 1818, and Edward GILES JONES born 12 April 1823 + Sarah Elizabeth JONES (? January 1830) christened 29 January 1830 Monmouth - FOD records

Janice hadn't found a marriage of William JONES to Ann (possible BOWYER) and this name then crops up in next generations of JONES.

However, found this on FoD records

Marriage at English Bicknor - 7 September 1814

William JONES

residence: extraparochial land adjoining this parish

and

Ann BOWYER

residence: extraparochial land adjoining this parish

by Banns, 1814, July 24, Aug 7

Witnesses: William and Eliza GILES **

Memoranda: with consent of Parents

Notes: Banns are in P138 IN 1/7 page 116

Fod Records

Baptism at Monmouth - 29 April 1823

Edward Giles JONES

parents William & Ann

residence: of this parish

---

Fod Records - Marriage at Monmouth - 19 November 1798

William GILES of this parish

married

Eliza BOWYER - of this Parish

by Licence

witnesses: James GILES and Ann BOWYER

JONES/BOWYER/GILES

by Janice Jones @, Sunday, February 02, 2014, 00:58 (3730 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

M P Griffiths and I are now corresponding by direct e-mail - I have had so much help from her. Thank you to FOD for the introduction!

My recent findings regarding the Jones/Bowyer/Giles have proved interesting BUT I am still no clearer regarding the lady who married William Card!

It is more than likely that she was one of the above Jones family (see earlier reference to John Bowyer Jones "present at the death" of Maria Card.)

She has only been referred to as "MARIA" on all the records we have been able to find, yet the only marriage we have found that appears to fit, names the Bride of William Card, married 08 Sep 1829 in Monmouth (St Mary ?), as MARIANNE PRICE JONES.
Neither the Groom's nor the Bride's Father is named!!!

However, we cannot find the Birth/Baptism of a Marianne Price Jones, which should appear about 1805. There is, however, a Maria Jones Baptised at Monmouth St Mary on 10 Sep 1805, daughter of John and Mary Jones. AND, there is a marriage of a John Jones to a Mary Jones in November of 1805 - a little after Maria's arrival but since both were Jones, maybe they got away with it!! Or is she an Aunt to the J B Jones of the death certificate - his father's sister??

I have reams of paperwork on all this but still no "proven" birth-date and parents for MARIA JONES(or for a Marianne Price Jones).

Over to you Forest of Dean researchers!

Janice

JONES/BOWYER/GILES

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, February 02, 2014, 08:25 (3730 days ago) @ Janice Jones

Just to re-cap

John JOHNS married Mary DUKES at Monmouth - 27 January 1784

? possible baptism at Monmouth: 10 September 1805

Maria - parents: John & Mary

----

William CARD married Marianne Price JONES - 8 September 1829- Monmouth St Marys

witnesses: Thomas JONES and Mary JONES

Married by Licence: The Licence would give more detailed information i.e. occupation of William CARD - Marie JONES name - both their ages etc.

----

William and Maria CARD baptised

Emily DUKES CARD - 7 November 1843 at Monmouth
Emily was buried 29 March 1845

Burial at Monmouth 5 March 1849 - Maria CARD age 43 = c1806

-----

The surname PRICE may have been from generations before:

My Grandfather : William Edmund BURROWS WICKENDEN (BURROWS was his Grandmother's surname) - he in turn gave his son exactly the same name.

---

On Ancestry 1822 Pigot's Directory - Monmouth

John JONES & Co. Bankers, Agincourt Square
Thomas JONES - Monnow Street
John JONES - Boot & Shoe Maker, nr St Mary's Church
J JONES - Mason Arms - Monnow Street

Elizabeth JONES - Dealer - Church Street

RSS Feed of thread