Family Tree Software (General)

by KatieAnn @, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 19:08 (3735 days ago)

Please can anyone recommend software which will enable me to set out my Family Tree in a traditional format using only names plus year of birth and death? I have the Ancestry software but their charts are much too complicated and when printed are difficult for anyone looking at them to understand. Your site has been invaluable in tracing my Lydney ancestors, thank you.

Family Tree Software

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 19:39 (3735 days ago) @ KatieAnn

This is a free one (or more advanced features if you pay for them). So, at least worth a look.

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder?utm_source=ppc_google&utm_medium=ppc&...

Family Tree Software

by KatieAnn @, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 20:41 (3735 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks, Mike - these charts would be perfect if only they didn't have picture spaces and details of the places of births, marriage and deaths attached to each entry. There doesn't seem to be a way of editing these out.

Family Tree Software - Fan chart

by ritpetite @, New Zealand, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 21:13 (3735 days ago) @ KatieAnn

I like the fan charts myself and if you go into this link you will find several which you could blow up.

They are great if you have nice writing which I don't

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=fan+chart&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&...

Family Tree Software

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 23:24 (3735 days ago) @ KatieAnn

If you play with the styles (17 and 18)and options you will find one which simply gives names and links with no other clutter, either in vertical or horizontal mode.

Family Tree Software - Fan chart

by KatieAnn @, Sunday, January 26, 2014, 14:00 (3735 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Eureka! That is exactly the format I wanted. Only wish I had posted my request earlier as it would have saved me hours trying to find the answer on Ancestry. Your site never fails to amaze me, it is a real gem. Thank you so much Mike.

Family Tree Software

by Haydn @, Leicestershire, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 11:37 (3722 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

This looks useful to me, too. Do you know whether you have to make your tree open to all My Heritage users or does it give you the option to keep it private? Thanks

Family Tree Software

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 17:02 (3722 days ago) @ Haydn

As I understand it you have to actively publish your tree before others can see it. Even then there is a range of privacy settings to let you control who sees what. Of course you can delete the tree at any time but you have to search for the button! I've used only the free version so things might be slightly different if you pay for the premium version. The HELP button will let you download an explanation of the features.

Family Tree Software

by Haydn @, Leicestershire, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 12:44 (3721 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you. I will give it a go. You should be on commission!

Family Tree Software

by janethowell, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 10:10 (3603 days ago) @ Haydn

I am giving this free software a go too. Was going to post a query about gedcom files - and this software says it reads them. All my research from 10 years ago is in gedcom files as I used to use family tree maker. I doubt the old software runs on windows 7

Pays to search the posts first!

Many thanks

re Family Tree Software update

by janethowell, Wednesday, July 02, 2014, 20:29 (3577 days ago) @ janethowell

I abandoned the My Heritage free software - it was constantly prompting me that there were record matches with other people's published trees and suggesting a files merge etc. Was really intrusive.

I have gone with Legacy 8 - standard version is free

janet

RSS Feed of thread