Elizabeth Herbert (General)

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Monday, May 26, 2014, 11:07 (3616 days ago)

I have not posted on this site for a while, due to family bereavement and illness. I have just been cleaning out my files and came across my "Brick Wall". This being Elizabeth Herbert, no date of birth, marriage or death. What we do know is that she gave birth to an illegitimate child, Elijah Herbert born abt 1820 and died before 1851. I have Elijah's descendants right down to my husband but have never been able to get passed Elizabeth. Any help welcome. Regards Jean

Elizabeth Herbert

by jimashton @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 12:34 (3616 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

Hi Jean

Sorry you have had a bad time lately.

I know you are aware of this as we have corresponded in the past, but for the sake of information appertaining to this question; when Elijah Herbert was baptised 8 Oct 1820 Drybrook he was shown as a base child. However, when he married Jane Baglin 1814 at Staunton 26 May 1840, a father Thomas Gay - collier was shown. Even within the Parish Records available on this web site, there are 4 Thomas Gay's of an appropriate age.

I too would be interested in details of the parents of Elizabeth Herbert, mother of Elijah.

Jim Ashton

Elizabeth Herbert

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Monday, May 26, 2014, 14:46 (3616 days ago) @ jimashton

Hi Jim,
There is a guy on Ancestry with an Elizabeth Herbert (no parents or other information on her), married to one of the Marfell lads, a Thomas Marfell. They hade a son Benjamin Marfell born 1838 to 1922. My findings keep coming back to this couple but as usual, it cannot be proven.

Elizabeth Herbert

by jimashton @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 15:32 (3616 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

Jean

The Elizabeth Herbert who married Thomas Marfell was the daughter of William Herbert 1758 & his second wife Martha Woore 1774.

Jim

Elizabeth Herbert

by cjk136 @, Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 23:26 (3608 days ago) @ jimashton

Jim

William HERBERT 1758-1824 RUARDEAN did not marry Martha WOORE

I have not posted for sometime but I believe there were 2 different William and Martha HERBERT families living at this time - one from Ruardean and one from Goodrich. It was the Goodrich William HERBERT who married Martha WOORE, this is the Goodrich marriage PR:
Record_ID: 70039
Entry_Number:
Year: 1802
Month: Jul
Day: 4
Grooms_Surname: HERBERT
Grooms_Forenames: William
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: WOORE
Brides_Forenames: Martha
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both mark
Witness_1: Elizabeth Pritchard
Witness_2: Charles Baylis
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: H.Y Williams Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda: Banns: ... were duly published on three successive Sundays by me H.Willia]ms.
Notes: Any abbreviated forenames have been expanded to the full name
Register_Reference: BF16/7
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Goodrich
Soundex_Groom: H616
Soundex_Bride: W600

Please note this Goodrich William HERBERT is described a bachelor. The Ruardean William HERBERT was previously married to Hannah YEMM so was a widower.

The Goodrich children are as follows:
303627 1805 HERBERT William William Martha Goodrich Goodrich
159929 1822 HERBERT Joyce William Martha Copped Wood Labourer Goodrich
316213 1824 HERBERT George William Martha Goodrich Day Labourer Welsh Bicknor
1052055 1824 HERBERT George William Martha Goodrich day labourer Welsh Bicknor (2 identical records with different record IDs)
159988 1825 HERBERT George William Martha Copped Wood Labourer Goodrich

The Ruarden couple’s children are:
56076 1804 HERBERT Elizabeth William Martha Ruardean
56175 1806 HERBERT Margaret William Martha Ruardean

Also the Goodrich couple were married and had 3 of their children baptised by the same Officiating Minister, Harry Williams, Vicar.

The Ruardean couple had their two baptised in Ruardean Parish Church by Officiating Minister J H BEESTON. This was the same minister who buried William's first wife Hannah YEMM 1758-1789 and christened their 3 children there.

The question that still remains is which Martha married the William HERBERT who lived in Ruardean?

This is my brick wall, can anyone help please?

Elizabeth Herbert

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 13:26 (3607 days ago) @ cjk136

This family is getting more and more confusing. Could anyone give any information as to the place and death date of Elijah Herbert, base born son of Elizabeth Herbert, born abt 1820? Thank you

Elizabeth Herbert

by shepway @, Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 15:45 (3607 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

As posted earlier We have a marriage between Elijah Herbert and Jane Baglin in 1840. The 1851 Census reads as follows:

House Number Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth Place
Ruardean Hill
155 Jane Herbert Head 37 1814 Female West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
155 Eleanor Herbert Daughter 10 1841 Female East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
155 Lydia Herbert Daughter 8 1843 Female East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
155 Elijah Herbert Son 2 1849 Female East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
155 Tom Herbert Son 1 1850 Male East Dean, Gloucestershire, England

Jane is described as a Widow and as the baptism of Tom/Thomas shows Elijah as the father we would assume that Elijah died c.1850. However the Gloucester Jail Index tells us that Elijah Herbert, Collier aged 30 of Ruardean was committed on 8 December 1849.
Conclusion: Elijah met an untimely death at Gloucester Jail or was transported. If the latter perhaps someone can provide some detail.

Mike

Elizabeth Herbert

by shepway @, Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 16:09 (3607 days ago) @ shepway

Since my earlier posting I have established that Elijah was convicted of sheep stealing and sentenced to 10 years transportation at the Epiphany Quarter Sessions held at Gloucester on 1 January 1850.

Mike

Elizabeth Herbert

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 16:43 (3607 days ago) @ shepway

Thank you so much for finding the elusive Eligha. My husband, Roy Herbert had an uncle with the same name but he recently died. Roy's family always maintained that the Herbert clan were "Whiter than white". Although Roy is very ill, we are having a real good laugh at Eligha's sheep rustling antics. Shouldn't laugh, as the poor guy probably did it to fee his family. Thank you once again.

Elizabeth Herbert

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Thursday, June 05, 2014, 13:06 (3606 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

If Eligha died in jail prior to being transported, would he have been buried in the jail grounds?

If he was transported, where would I look for records (if any) of his place of transportation?

After reading further census records it would seem that he didn't come back from wherever he was as his wife always stated she was a widow, which could mean that she actually was a window or just said that to cover her shame at Eligha being transported.

Thanks to Shepway for finding entry in court records and to others who have helped me in this seach.

Elizabeth Herbert

by shepway @, Thursday, June 05, 2014, 14:11 (3606 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

My understanding is that partners of those who were transported were free to marry again after 7 years and it was common practice for those left behind to state that they were widowed in Census Returns if they had not remarried.

As for what happened to Elijah I do not know. I have looked at 1851 Census returns and have yet to spot him but have found some of those who were sentenced at the same time either in a prison or a convict hulk moored near a port. It is possible that he was already on ship but I do to think all of the ships lists have been transcribed.

Mike

Elijah Herbert, transported ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, June 05, 2014, 14:45 (3606 days ago) @ shepway

Hi Mike,
in the unlikely event you weren't aware, this old thread discussed the possible whereabouts of Elijah. I only spotted it from a general websearch hoping for something to come out of the ether. Despite finding several different "transportation" websites with transcripted name lists, I couldn't see Elijah Herbert.
I hope it helps, if nothing else it may help you avoid redigging old ground.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=2648

Elijah Herbert, transported ?

by Powys,Amanda @, Sunday, June 28, 2020, 10:48 (1391 days ago) @ Jefff

Found that Elijah Herbert was sent to the hired convict ship ,The Cornwall from Northampton Goal, He was to sent Gibraltar 5 Feb 1851
The hired convict ship would takenconvicts to work in Gibraltar and continue to,NSW Van Diemans Land with convicts from Gibrltarvwho,would be given tickets of leave on their arrival,
Record shows that Elijah Herbert was received 17 April 1850 at Northampton Find My Past ..Record of prisoners in the county prisons of Northampton HO23
He had been convicted at Hereford but had also been bailed to appear at
Gloucester after being convicted at Hereford ..
I have these records on my Powys family tree on Ancestry I am powysa@aol.com

I have been researching Robert Hawker, William Hawker, William Fennell, and others who have formed a gang I have called The Cinderford Gang .

Elijah Herbert

by dink999 @, Thursday, June 05, 2014, 17:34 (3606 days ago) @ shepway

From the Hereford Journal 24 April 1850

Removal of convicts from County Gaol to Bourough Gaol at Northampton

Elijah Herbert, sentenced to 20 years' transportation for burglary, having been previously, at Gloucester sentenced to 10 years' transportation for sheep stealing

From a report in the paper for Dec 1849 Elijah only stole one ewe.

Elijah Herbert

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Friday, June 06, 2014, 13:51 (3605 days ago) @ dink999

Many many thanks to the people who have taken the time to look up and post information on Eligha. We are astounded at what has "come out of the woodwork". Initially we had some sympathy with Eligha and the sheep stealing episode, thinking that probably he had done it to feed his family. It turns out that he was the leader of a gang of hardened criminals, who were tried and convicted with him. He was sentenced to a combination of aprox 30 years. If he didn't die before the sentence was carried out, it would be assumed that there would be a record of his death but so far none has been found. If was actually transported, the time he would spend in the country he had been sent to would be more than the time he had lived in Gloucestershire. If this is so, and he survived, he would have been more Australian than British and may not have wanted to come home. Maybe he died on board ship or in Australia. There are so many possibilities and "what ifs" surrounding Eligha. I wonder if any of the gang of robbers he lead had families still in Australia and could shed some light on this mystery. Thank you all once again

Elijah Herbert

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 14:39 (3604 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

William Mercy, William Fennell and Robert Hawker who are mentioned along with Elijah Herbert in the Gloucester Journal article of 16 November 1850 were imprisoned at Bedford Prison at the time of the 1851 census, 30 March 1851.

Other associates of Elijah Herbert included Samuel Lane, John Minton, John Stephens and John Thomas.

William Mercy was convicted on 7/8/1850 at Gloucester Assizes and sentenced to 10 years. He was removed from Bedford to Dartmoor on 26/12/1851. Subsequently he was transported to Western Australia aboard the ship 'Sea Park' on 30/12/1853.

William Fennell was convicted on 7/8/1850 at Gloucester Assizes and sentenced to 10 years. He was removed from Bedford to Dartmoor on 30/10/1851. Transported to Western Australia aboard the ship 'Sea Park' on 30/12/1853.

Robert Hawker was convicted on 15/10/1850 at Gloucester Quarter Sessions. He was removed from Bedford Prison to Dartmoor on 26/12/1851. He was then transported to Western Australia aboard the ship 'Pyrenees' on 31 January 1853.

John Thomas was convicted on 15/10/1850 at Gloucester Quarter Sessions and sentenced to 7 years. He was received at Bedford Prison on 14/12/1850 and on 15/5/1851 removed to "Defence" Hulk, at Gosport. He was transported to Western Australia aboard the ship 'Sea Park' on 30/12/1853.

Samuel Lane, John Minton and John Stephens were also transported to Western Australia aboard the ship 'Sea Park' on 30/12/1853.

I have searched for Elijah Herbert without success. It is possible that he may have been transported to Bermuda. Although records for Australia are available online through various providers I have not been able to find any online providers for Bermuda. Records of prisoners transported to Bermuda are available at the National Archives, but, not in digital format.

Elijah Herbert, Bermuda ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 16:35 (3604 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

Thanks Paul, very interesting indeed, particularly transportation to Bermuda which I wasn' unaware of. Odd nowadays to think that Bermuda was considered a far worse destination than the rest, definitely NOT an island "paradise" !. Out of curiosity I've searched a little and found these excellent articles which I hope are of interest.

http://issuu.com/penandsword/docs/prisonersinparadise
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=531876.0
http://vcp.e2bn.org/justice/page11405-background-and-reasons.html

PS just seen Chris' "Bermuda Dick" post, a little more detail is here
http://forestofdeanhistory.org.uk/Newsletters/IMPOSSED_JUL_2012_NEWSLETTER.pdf
http://www.gloshistory.org.uk/reviews_2002_08.php

Also this prior thread, there are probably others,
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=35149

Elijah Herbert, Bermuda ?

by Jean Herbert @, Leeds Yorkshire, Thursday, June 12, 2014, 16:39 (3599 days ago) @ Jefff

To all those who have shown an interest in our Herbert convict (or not?) My Husband Roy Herbert has just informed me that his uncle Arthur was also a Burglar !! During WW2 he conveniently disappeared, living first in London then in Letchworth (some foreign country, certainly not Yorkshire). He kept appearing unannounced at the pub Roy's parents ran, stayed for a few days visiting relatives then disappearing again without notice. Blood will out.

Elijah Herbert

by Terry Collins @, Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 00:39 (3413 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

I am a descendant of William Mercy and was aware of him being convicted of a break-in and theft but not of the extent of his criminal activity until I recently read newspaper accounts from the time. William Mercy remarried and had 10 children, William Fennell also remarried and had 9 children, but I was unaware of associates also transported to WA. I can find those on the 'Sea Park' but I can't find anything about Robert Hawker being transported on the 'Pyrenees' or any other ship, did he have another spelling or name ? Terry Collins

Robert Hawker

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 23:41 (3411 days ago) @ Terry Collins

Hereford Times 17 May 1856

FOREST OF DEAN.
FLAXLEY.-We noticed in our last, the theft of a dark brown mare, the property of Mr John Williams; and have now to add that the animal is supposed to have been stolen by a man named Robert Hawker, a native of Cinderford, who was transported for ten years at Gloucester Assizes, but returned on a ticket-of-leave in March, 1855. When he passed through the toll-gate with the horse, he was dressed in a gray mixture overcoat and low crowned black hat. The mare, which is supposed to have been taken to some part of Worcestershire or Staffordshire, is described as having a small substance about the size of a nut on one of the knees, and a rough mane, falling on both sides. She had been newly shod when stolen. We hear that the police are on his track, and no doubt will shortly bring him to justice.

Robert Hawker born abt 1826 ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 05:27 (3411 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

I presume this the same Robert Hawker, a few years before being transported ?

1841 Ruspidge
Anne Braddington abt 1791 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Belinda Hawker abt 1839 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Eliza Hawker abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Philip Hawker abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Robert Hawker abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
George Phelps abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire

This thread discusses Geo Phelps' transportation etc, was Robert his accomplice ?
www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=12087

IF Robert was born in Cinderford, this looks like him from this site's PRs, but needs lot more Census work etc to confirm;

???

Record_ID: 31996
Entry_Number: 361
Year: 1823
Month: Nov
Day: 29
Parents_Surname: HAWKER
Child_Forenames: Robert
Fathers_Forenames: Philip
Mothers_Forenames: Dinah
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Hundred of St Briavell
Officiating_Minister: T R Garnsey Curate
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes: See also Entry 360.No note to say whether these two births were twins or if one was born at an earlier date and now being Christened
Register_Reference: P110 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 46
Parish_Chapel: Littledean
Soundex: H260

Record_ID: 56207
Entry_Number: 1569
Year: 1891
Month: Jan
Day: 3
Surname: HAWKER
Forenames: Robert
Residence: Westbury Union
Age_at_death: 70 y[ea]rs
Officiating_Minister: J.H.N.Barton
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/13
Page_No: 197
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John
Soundex: H260

UPDATE: This thread also mentions Robert Hawker from Cinderford in more detail wrt George Phelps and his transportation. Suggest the poster "Antipodean" maybe able to help here ?. Still active so can hopefully be emailed, but hasn't visited this forum for a year so may not see this post otherwise.

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=33755

Robert Hawker

by Terry Collins @, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 09:39 (3410 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

Thanks Paul I hadn't thought he would be free in England in 1856, after seeing the report of him stealing a mare you found, I looked for more articles and found he was was arrested for stealing 6 heifers using the name George Williams and was transported for 14 years under this name, although the officials had worked out his real identity and that was responsible for the theft of the mare. I have found him arriving in Fremantle 1/1/1858 on the 'Nile' and another alias Robert Hawken is mentioned. He is said to have left for South Australia in January 1882. Tery Collins

Elijah Herbert

by Terry Collins @, Monday, June 29, 2015, 00:08 (3218 days ago) @ Terry Collins

Paul,I have also found that Edward Lane died in Portland 19/5/1852, which explains why he wasn't with the others when they were transported. Do you know if Henry Preest/Priest aka Henry Butcher and Thomas Brown were associates of Wiiliam Mercy, they were convicted on 7/8/1850 at Gloucester Assizes, the same day as William Mercy and William Fennell were convicted, of having assaulted and robbed Edward O"Hara at Newland on the 10/2/1849 and transported in 1851 three years earlier than the others. Henry Preest was a partner with William Mercy as Blacksmiths and Farriers at Northampton in Western Australia, it was dissolved at the end of 1868. I have been researching his associates transported to WA to see if any of them were associated with William Mercy (My gg grandfather) in WA. Thomas Brown is also mentioned as having been the Northampton/Geraldton area however his name is much more common and harder to trace.

Henry Preest/Priest alias Henry Butcher and Thomas Brown

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Monday, June 29, 2015, 11:38 (3217 days ago) @ Terry Collins

Henry Preest and Thomas Brown embarked for Western Australia in the ship 'Mermaid' on 28 December 1850. I have not been able to find anything to associate them with William Mercy. There are reports of the attack by Preest and Brown upon Edward O'Hare (sic) which led to their arrest and conviction. If you would like details please let me know.

Elijah Herbert

by Terry Collins @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 12:53 (3218 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

Paul, There are now records available for Elijah Herbert, he was sent 5/2/1851 to a Gibraltar Hulk and died there 13/10/1851. This information is on the comined quarterly return for the Hulks Owen Glendowner and Euryalus dated 31/12/1851.

Elijah Herbert

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 20:27 (3218 days ago) @ Terry Collins

Thanks for the update for Elijah Herbert.

Findmypast has a record of him in their collection "England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935". The source is 'Register of Prisoners in the County Prisons of Northampton'. He was bailed from Hereford on 4th Sep 1849, subsequent to which he was Committed to Gloucester County Gaol for Sheep Stealing. Convicted and sentenced to 10 years Transportation, was removed to Hereford by Habeaus. On 23rd March 1850 he was convicted at Hereford Lent Assizes for the crime of burglary. He was received at Northampton on 17th April 1850. His sentence is recorded as 20 years. He was removed 5th February 1851 to the ship 'Cornwall', for Gibraltar.

The next two entries in the ledger describe his associates Edward Lane and Samuel Lane. They were convicted at Hereford also on 23rd March 1850 for the crime of burglary and each sentenced to 10 years. They were received at Northampton on 17th April 1850 and removed to Portland Island on 22nd February 1851.

Elijah Herbert

by brianherbert, Friday, January 01, 2021, 23:27 (1204 days ago) @ Terry Collins

Hi Terry. You commented about the records showing Elijah was sent to Gibraltar and then died there. How can I access a copy of these records? Thanks.

Elijah Herbert

by Terry Collins @, Saturday, January 02, 2021, 06:10 (1204 days ago) @ brianherbert

Brian I found them on findmypast.com, there are a number of quaterley prison returns for him, some of them had information such as when he arrived a ta prison and when he died.

Elizabeth Herbert - my thoughts for what its worth ...

by janethowell, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 23:37 (3594 days ago) @ cjk136

For what it is worth, I took some time off my family research to follow this thread. I have learnt a lot I didn’t know about tracing those convicted who were sent abroad.

I think that the William Herbert (listed as Harbert) who marries Hannah Yemm 20 May 1782 is a different Herbert from the William Herbert who marries Martha Woore on 4 July 1802 (bachelor / spinster).

The William x Martha offspring listed are clearly 2 families to me as they are a whole generation apart – regardless of geography.

William x Martha offspring – baptisms from FoD web
Year Surname First Name Parish/Chapel
1804 HERBERT Elizabeth Ruardean
1805 HERBERT William Goodrich
1806 HERBERT Margaret Ruardean

1822 HERBERT Joyce Goodrich
1824 HERBERT George Welsh Bicknor
1824 HERBERT George Welsh Bicknor
1825 HERBERT George Goodrich

I would guess that William x Martha (1802) have a daughter Elizabeth (mother of Elijah when she was just 16yrs) and then have a son William. It is son William who is father of the 1820s children.

In general, in a case like this, I group by social norms of child-bearing not by geography – though geography can play an important part but only in families that stay in one place. I am chasing all 4 of my maternal/paternal lines around Britain through time!

Looking at the 1841 index I think we see Elijah with wife Jean (Jane).
Martha is still alive – living alone or with married daughter – need census image to find out

There is also an Eliza Herbert age 1 in a household with no other Herberts - ??

Ruardean Hill 3/364/7/22
Surname First Name Age
HERBERT Elijah 20
HERBERT Jean 25
HERBERT Elvina 4mths

Ruardean Hill 3/364/7/20
Surname First Name Age
HERBERT Eliza 1

Ruardean Hill 3/364/7/24
Surname First Name Age
HERBERT Martha 65

There are no Herberts in Goodrich in 1841 – even including soundex variations of the name.

I don’t know if any of this is of help or even relevant but I have had a very instructive evening.

Thank you for posting the thread.

Janet

Elizabeth Herbert

by ChrisW @, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 16:06 (3604 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

Hi Jean

I have Avril Kear's book 'Bermuda Dick' which tells the tale of my very disgraceful ancestor Richard Kear b1826 Yorkley. There is very detailed information about what happened to Richard and the others. All I have to do is find the darn thing, as it probably lists sources!

Richard KEAR, James JAMES, George CHARLES, sentenced for Life at Gloucester 9 August 1851 -

One of 6 miners convicted of rape and sentenced to life imprisonment. Was transported to BERMUDA where he worked on a chain gang building the new Naval Dockyard. Returned after 10 years when the job was completed and was sent to Chatham where he worked on the new extension to the docks there. He was subsequently released and returned home to find his wife had remarried (and I can't say I blame her). Richard also remarried.

When the job on Bermuda was finished there was no other work available for the prisoners. Some were then sent on to Australia, whilst the lucky ones were sent back to England and at some point released.

Averil Kear is a member of this site (User Name averilkear) if you would like to contact her direct.

Cheers
Chris

Elizabeth Herbert

by brianherbert, Friday, January 01, 2021, 22:19 (1204 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

Hi Jean. I am late finding this thread but we are related. I am stuck at Elijah's mother Elizabeth as well. I have Elijah all the way down the line on my end. I would love to collaborate and exchange our lines.

I also read all the replies to your post and I am still confused. Are there any viable records or ways to confirm the parents of Elizabeth Herbert? I'd love to pierce this brick wall.

RSS Feed of thread