Marriage Phelps & Watkins (Parish Records)

by joanchop @, Lincoln, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 15:02 (3518 days ago)

Hi
I am trying to find evidence of a marriage which I think took place in Monmouth (South Glos.?)(Independent Chapel) in 1852(?) of James Phelps and Ann Watkins. Are you able to help please? Thank you.

Marriage Phelps & Watkins (Register Office)

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 15:08 (3518 days ago) @ joanchop

If you use the link to Gloucestershirebmd (in previous reply to Trafford)

James PHELPS married Ann WATKINS at the Forest of Dean, Monmouth, Register Office - 1852

by cmfenton @, Ferndown, Dorset, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 19:00 (3518 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I don't know over what sort of period it has occured, but many weddings took place in non-conformist chapels in the presence of a local registrar (as well as the local minister) and are consequently recorded as 'taking place' at the Register Office.

For example in my parents' case (married in 1945), it is clear on the certificate, signed by the deputy registrar and Baptist minister, that the ceremony took place at the Baptist Chapel even though the BMD record says Register Office.

by joanchop @, Lincoln, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 19:26 (3518 days ago) @ cmfenton

It does seem odd, my great grandfather Matthew Phelps married his wife in 1887 and I Have that marked down as a Monmouthshire Register Office!! Can anyone shed some light on this?

by joanchop @, Lincoln, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 19:37 (3518 days ago) @ joanchop

Hi again,
Just looked on Gloucestershire BMD and it shows my grandparents getting married in Lydbrook Baptist Church which agrees with the certificate. Maybe if there is no place of marriage they just entered 'register office'?

RSS Feed of thread