Alfred BARNARD (General)

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 18:33 (3433 days ago)

you have all been so amazing in helping with my research.... I wondered if anyone knows if Alfred BARNARD (born 11 Feb 1866 in Cinderford.... died 10 July 1920) was injured in a colliery accident? he died when only 54 years old... and even for a coal miner this seems young.

I found this....

Surname BARNARD
First Name Alfred
Abode Pembroke street Cinderford
Occupation
Year Proved 1920
Page Number 225
Year of Death 1920
Month of Death Jul
Day of Death 10
Value Under £274
Document Will
Notes
Will Number Will_04828

when I was searching 'Alfred Barnard' in the newspaper index for Gloucestershire I found an accident involving an 'Alfred' but without subscribing I can't see any more.

any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 18:35 (3433 days ago) @ macast

sorry.... should have given the details

Saturday 29 May 1920 ,
Gloucester Journal ,
Gloucestershire, England
Type: Article Words: 223 Page: 7 Tags: none

Alfred BARNARD

by shepway @, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 18:50 (3433 days ago) @ macast

The following webpage confirms that Alfred died as a result of a Mining Accident:
http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/database/result/82034.html

A search of the Inquests on this site will give you details of the inquest and his injuries.

Mike

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 19:15 (3433 days ago) @ shepway

thanks so much.... found it :-)

Alfred BARNARD : Probate Ancestry

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 18:51 (3433 days ago) @ macast

Probate, Ancestry

BARNARD, Alfred of Pembroke-street, Cinderford, Gloucestershire - Collier - died 10 July 1920.
Probate Gloucester 6 August to Ernest Cyril BREAKSPEAR Runicles Engineer's Clerk and Simeon BARNARD, Collier.
Effects: £273 12.

Alfred BARNARD = Probate Ancestry

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 19:15 (3433 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

thank you :-)

Alfred BARNARD

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 19:06 (3433 days ago) @ macast

the BNA record:-

Gloucester Journal Saturday 29 May 1920

CINDERFORD COLLIERY ACCIDENTS

Two accidents, one involving serious injuries, have occurred at Cinderford collieries. Alfred BARNARD, aged 55, of Woodside-street, Cinderford, working at the Lightmoor Colliery, lies in a precarious state with injuries to his head through a fall of roof………..

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 19:16 (3433 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

thank you. that is the article that I couldn't see much of. good of you to post ... thanks :-)

Alfred BARNARD

by jimashton @, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 19:05 (3433 days ago) @ macast

Alfred Barnard was related to me. I have only brief details available to me on my iPad using a Gedview App. Some notes are available showing : Killed Lightmoor Mine; Haemorrhage intospinal cord the result of a fall of dirt in a roadway in the 20inch vein.

When I access my computer I will reply in more detail

Jim Ashton

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, December 06, 2014, 19:17 (3433 days ago) @ jimashton

brilliant.... Alfred is my partner's great grandfather. good to find someone else researching the line :-)

Alfred BARNARD

by jimashton @, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 10:13 (3432 days ago) @ macast

Having accessed my computer I cannot add a great deal more. You have his birth and death date.

You probably have this info as well - He has baptised 14 July 1867 Forest Church, buried 14 Jul 1920 Cinderford. He married Julie Green born 1870 at Cinderford 24 July 1892 Witnesses William Simmons & Lillie Coles. 5 children.

Alfred is my 1st cousin 3 times removed. You no doubt have his ancestry. I can go back 6 generations.

My main area of research is the Marfell Family. My Grandmother was Jane Kate Marfell 1888, she married Tom Treherne 1885. Tom's parents were Walter Treherne 1854 and Sophia Jane Barnard 1850. Sophia Jane was the daughter of George Barnard 1825 & Sarah Jane Matthews 1830. George Barnard 1825 was the brother of Richard Barnard 1834 who was the father of Alfred.

I will be related to your partner. But don't have any further detail of Alfred's children beyond their baptisms.

Jim Ashton

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 11:05 (3432 days ago) @ jimashton

thank you Jim.

your grandfather is my partner Mike's 2nd cousin twice removed.... not sure what relationship that makes you as you only gave as far as your grandparents.

I'm happy to share research if there is anything you are interested in.

we are also back 6 generations in that line but would be good to check my research with you if you don't mind.

we agree that Alfred's father was Richard BARNARD (1834) .... he married Elizabeth HARRIS (1835) (parents Moses HARRIS and Hannah TRIGG)

I have Richard's (and your George's) parents as Thomas BARNARD and Lucy HARRIS (both born around 1799.... I don't have birth dates for them)

Lucy being the sister of Moses HARRIS above..... and daughter of George HARRIS and Phebe SANSOM

this is where I'm really not 100% sure. I have Thomas' parents as Thomas BARNARD and Mary GOODE

I have further dates but don't want to complicate things at this stage :-)

any help with clarifying this line would be good as we are producing a wall chart to display at Christmas so that the younger generation can see where they come from.

Alfred BARNARD

by jimashton @, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 12:50 (3432 days ago) @ macast

Hi

I have sent you an email and I think it would be beneficial to each other to communicate by email.

Re your recent posting has helped me in relation to the ancestors of Elizabeth Harris, who I had already in my Family Tree so have connected them.

I have the parents of Thomas Barnard 1798 as John Barnard & Deborah Parsons with his baptism of 12 August 1798. This fits with the 1851 Census :

1851 Census
BARNARD Thomas 52 Quarryman Forest of Dean
Lucy 52 Forest of Dean
Elizabeth 22 Servant Unemployed Forest of Dean
John 14 Coal Miner Forest of Dean
Thomas 12 Scholar Forest of Dean
Henry 9 Scholar East Dean

I have also shown my notes for Richard Barnard, which shows he was boarding in 1851, hence not on his fathers census entry :

Register of Free Miners:
Surname/Forename/Age/Residence/Reg Date/ID
Barnard Richard 40 Cinderford 6 Mar 1875 1574

1851 Census. Image George Barnard 1825
HARRIS Phoebe Widow/er 75 Westbury on Severn
MORGAN Elijah Lodger 22 Coal Miner Forest of Dean
BARNARD Richard Lodger 16 Coal Miner Forest of Dean

1871 Census East Dean. 2599/43
Richard Barnard 36 Miner East Dean
Elizabeth 36 East Dean
William 11 East Dean
Emily Sophia 9 East Dean
Olivia 7 East Dean
Alfred 5 East Dean
Moses 4 East Dean
Eli 11mths East Dean

1881 Census East Dean
Dwelling: Hinders Lane
Census Place: (Westbury On Severn) East Dean, Gloucester, England
Source: FHL Film 1341609 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2524 Folio 58 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Richard BARNARD M 46 M East Dean (East Dean), Gloucester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Coal Miner
Elizebeth BARNARD M 45 F East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Wife
Occ: Laundry Worker
William BARNARD U 21 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Son
John BARNARD U 17 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Alfred BARNARD U 15 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Moses BARNARD U 14 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Eli BARNARD U 11 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Occ: Scholar
Simeon BARNARD U 8 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Occ: Scholar
Elizebeth BARNARD U 3 F East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Daur

Jim Ashton

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 20:50 (3432 days ago) @ jimashton

thanks.... yes I agree that it would be better to email :-)

Alfred BARNARD

by tuffers64, Cinderford, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 15:21 (2756 days ago) @ macast

Dean Forest Mercury
16th July 1920

ALFRED BARNARD aged 54 collier
Injured 26th May 1920
Died 10th July 1920

Mr M. F. Carter held an inquiry at the St Stephen’s Church, Cinderford, on Tuesday afternoon, concerning the death of Alfred Barnard, miner, aged 54, of Woodside Street, Cinderford.
There were those present: Mr Winterbotham, representing Messrs Crawshay Co. Ltd; Mr Rowley, H. M. Inspector of Mines; Mr H. W. Booth, Miners’ Agent, and Mr W. D. Meredith, manager of the Lightmoor Colliery.
Dr G. F. Rigden stated that on the 26th May he was summoned to attend the deceased and he had been in attendance on him up to the time of his death. He found that the whole of his back was bruised and there was a haemorrhage into the spinal chord and there was paralysis from the waist down. He rallied partially for a while but gradually succumbed. The cause of the death was the haemorrhage into the spinal chord. The injury was consistent with a fall of dirt, coal or rock onto his back.
Stanley Barnard, of Woodside Street, employed at the Lightmoor Colliery for about 5 or 6 years, said the deceased was his father, whose age was about 54 years. On the 26th May he was working with him and a Mr Edwards. They went to work at about a quarter to ten (pm.-DIT). They were working in the Twenty Inch Seam. They had contemplated the setting of timber. The road, which was 8 feet wide, had to be timbered throughout. Just before the accident took place, witness was on the right hand side of the road, getting the ground out for one post and his father was on the other side, getting out for the other. Edwards was cutting the one post off. They were all three practically close together. This was not the first lot of timber they had set. The interval between the sets of timber would be 4 to 4 1/2 feet. Mr Edwards had a look at the spot where the post they had been setting and he was going to witness’s father, when the fall of dirt took place. It fell practically over the spot where his father was working. The fall occurred without any warning or noise whatever. An examination had previously been made of the place by Mr Tingle, about a quarter or half an hour before the accident. They had a sufficient quantity of timber in their working place. Mr Tingle examined the top. He did not say that any timbering was required there. When the accident happened they had done about 20 yards of timbering. By the Inspector: There had been 3 shots fired at this place on the previous Saturday. They were ripping shots and they were fired close to the face. The accident occurred on the following Wednesday. There had no work done after the shots at the face until the following Wednesday morning. About 1 1/2 yards length of roof was brought down. When they had entered the place on Wednesday morning before commencing work, Mr Edwards made an inspection and tested the roof. He tested it with a pick. Before the last shots were fired, the last setting was about 5 1/2 feet from the face. They filled six carts with dirt. A setting was put in place because it was the right distance, not because of the condition of the roof. Witness examined the roof himself. The top was practically level before the fall occurred. Nothing was said about putting up a temporary prop before the setting was being installed. His father also tested the roof but made no remark. It sounded to the witness that it was solid.
Edmund Tingle, examiner at Lightmoor Colliery, said he had been engaged since 1912. He made an examination before these men commenced work. He tested it with a pick and found everything quite satisfactory, the roof and the sides. He recorded the fact in a book. The top at this particular spot was quite smooth. He made a second examination at about 2 minutes to nine. The condition of the roof and sides were just the same as when he had first the examination. Deceased and his son were on the left hand side turning some dirt back. He made a third examination after that examination, at about 11 o’clock. There was ample timber in the place. When he examined the place the second time, 4 or 5 sets of timber had been placed, with intervals of about 5 feet. Mr Edmunds was going to put in another set. The only one there was room for. They had got practically to work the place. By Mr Rowley: The sets had been put up as the face advanced. The length of the lump that fell was about 4 to 4 1/2 feet, and 18 inched to 2 feet wide. The dirt had come from a smooth facing and was not wet. Before the accident occurred, there were no signs of anything being wrong. A jump referred to by a witness, had been noticed in the side further up the road, but this had died out before it got up to this face. He did not tell the men to put a setting up at this place. He had found that they were putting it in. Mr Edwards said that they were putting it up because the side weight. By a juryman: The jump was following the road. By Mr Winterbotham: This jump had gone out of this road before they came to this place. By the Coroner: It s the right thing to do to put in the furthest set, to comply with the regulations. By a juryman: The dirt they were removing was from a shot fired the previous Saturday.
George Edwards, of Buckshaft Road, Ruspidge, gave evidence of a corroborative nature. The last setting of timber was put in because of the side weight. The jump worked in and out of the road. It had not quite gone at this particular place, but nearly so. There was evidence of it some places along the road. By the Inspector: It did not occur to him to put in a temporary prop whilst the setting was being prepared. The general condition of the roof, which he tested with a pick, was good. He got a proper ring on the testing. Witness had worked underground nearly 50 years and he could not tell how the fall had occurred. By Mr Booth: He had noticed no slip in the top of this roof before. It was the side that they had trouble with.
The Coroner said that this was one of those accidents that as long as mining went on, and in spite of every possible care and wholly unforeseen, must now and again arise.
The jury found that deceased died from haemorrhage into the spinal chord, the result of injuries sustained in an accidental fall of dirt at Lightmoor Colliery.

Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 18:03 (2756 days ago) @ tuffers64

thank you so much tuffers64..... I've not seen this before. thank you so much for taking the time to type it all out.

is this your ancestor too?

Alfred BARNARD

by tuffers64, Cinderford, Sunday, October 16, 2016, 16:46 (2753 days ago) @ macast

No, Alfred is no relation. However, I have done 30 years of research into mining accident in the Forest of Dean coal and iron fields and recognized the name and copied and pasted from my existing records. Glad to share the file.
Dave Tuffley

RSS Feed of thread