Parish/chapel transcript details for Drybrook. (Parish Records)

by al @, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 13:13 (3391 days ago)

Hi. Please could someone clarify something for me?
My Great Grandmother's burial appears in the parish record section of your site and I need to find her grave/place of burial.
In the transcription details given ,headed Parish/Chapel, the word "Drybrook" is stated.
After googling to try and find parish names and boundaries I remain unclear in this instance whether the Parish is Drybrook or if there is a chapel called Drybrook.
If the Chapel is called Drybrook would it be the Methodist or Congregational Chapel?
I would be really grateful ,if you are experienced at looking at the burial records upon this site, if you would be kind enough to look at the details given below and give me your opinion?

Emma Hawker.
Burial :27th June 1874.
Record id number :10852.
Entry number :631.
Place of residence: The Plump.
Age 22.
Officiating Minister : William Barker-Vicar.
Register ref: p109 in 1/2.
Page: 79
Parish/Chapel: Drybrook.
Many Thanks
Al.

Parish/chapel transcript details for Drybrook.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 13:31 (3391 days ago) @ al

Hi Al,
my first/immediate thought is that "Drybrook Chapel" refers to Holy Trinity Church, above Drybrook on Harrow/Harry Hill, as thats the nearest CoE Church, also known as Forest Church.
Some more info here
http://forest-of-dean.net/index.php/component/content/article/8-pages/103-about-the-forest

I say this as I wonder if you, like others before you including me, have assumed that where the PR says "Chapel" then you're thinking just small Chapels rather than more typical "larger" Churches ?; whereas in fact all the site's PRs use the word Chapel as a generic term irrespective of whether the actual place a PR refers to is a CoE Church, or a Baptist Chapel, or whatever.

That said, there were some non Conformist Chapels in the area, of course, including on top of Plump Hill towards Harrow Hill & Drybrook. This extensive hostory of the area includes several mentions of Drybrook and it's various Chapels.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp396-404

Normally I'd expect to see some clues to such a background within a person's history, such as place of marriage etc, otherwise I'd assume it to be Conformist CoE. I've found that some Chapels didn't/don't have their own Burial grounds, unlike Holy Trinity. Also some Chapels were only in existence/use at certain times, possibly not when this Burial took place, whereas Holy Trinity was the first CoE Church within this eastern side of the Forest and is still in use today (sorry for perhaps stating what you know, I don't know how well you know the area).

Another clue I guess is the Minister's name, which hopefully can be searched and tied to a particular religion ? In this instance entering William Barker into this site's general search box gives the following hit.
It's perhaps not as clearly labelled as it could be, but the resulting page is from the Kelly's Directory for 1879, and states

"[HOLY TRINITY.] The church, which is 4 miles south from Mitcheldean Road station and 6 north-west from Newnham, is a plain stone building in the Norman style, with chancel, nave, porch, and tower containing 2 bells and clock and contains west gallery and organ: the seats are, open and all free. The register dates from the year 1817. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300 with residence and 4 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Crown and held by the Rev. William Barker, appointed 1866."
http://forest-of-dean.net/index.php/resources/kelly-s-directory-1879/51-east-dean

Pictures of this and other Drybrook Churches may be found here
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/churches/index2.html
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/drybrook/pages/page_36.html

In fact a general internet "google" for William Barker immediately gives various hits to posts on this website, plus this site for Holy Trinity Church itself - looks like I should have followed this route first, good to live & learn eh ?!

"In 1866 ill health forced Henry Nicholls to resign and, in the same year, Rev W. Barker took up the task of Vicar of Drybrook. He made it his purpose to see another Church built to serve the nearby community of Lydbrook – the Church of the Holy Jesus. He served this parish for 31 years, making him the longest serving priest that Forest Church has ever had."
http://drybrook.forestchurch.org.uk/about-us/history/the-early-years/

And another William Barker a hundred years later, a descendant perhaps ?
http://drybrook.forestchurch.org.uk/about-us/history/the-post-war-years/

Finally, don't forget general queries can often be solved by carefully searching this forum, which in itself is a huge databse of FoD knowledge across many varied subjects, not just purely FH enquiries, eg
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=29842

Hope this helps, J

by al @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:48 (3390 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff.
Thank you very much for your reply.
That helps a lot.
I am not familiar with the area....I was lucky enough to have a few days research there in the past mainly Plump Hill, Abenhall and Mitcheldean, but ran out of time to find all the things I would have liked to.
Like most family history enthusiasts I find lots more things along the way and at that time hadn't the information about this particular lady.
I loved the area I saw though. I felt strangely comfortable and at home there straight away.
Thanks again
Al

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 17:39 (3391 days ago) @ al

The Burial will have taken place at Holy Trinity Church, Drybrook.
Any event which took place at a Church other than Church of England such as Methodist, Baptist, Congregational would have appropriate details shown in the transcript. See Church/Chapel drop down list.

Michael
Admin

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 19:34 (3391 days ago) @ admin

Thanks Michael, I hadn't realised the PRs were that clear, Jeff

by Peter Preece @, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 19:43 (3391 days ago) @ Jefff

Rev William Barker Vicar of the Church of England church in Drybrook was appointed in 1866 and ended in 1897.The church has an extensive burial yard but many burials took place with no headstone being erected due to costs. (My grand-parents are buried there with no memorial stones)
Best of luck with your search.
Peter Preece

by al @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:56 (3390 days ago) @ Peter Preece

Thanks for that Peter.
I appreciate it.
Funnily enough after this lady's death her her husband remarried ....to a lady with the surname Preece.
Best wishes.
Al

by al @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:50 (3390 days ago) @ admin

Thank you Michael.
I will investigate that.
Kind regards
Al

by HarryBrook @, Friday, January 09, 2015, 12:44 (3389 days ago) @ al

The old churchyard was surveyed, and the memorial inscriptions record, in the late 1980's.
There is no memorial inscription recorded for Emma Hawker, so she had no headstone or other form of permanent grave memorial, unfortunately.

by al @, Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:16 (3389 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Thank you Harry.
I appreciate you taking the time to look.
I suspected that would be the case.
Is the survey available on line or on this site please?
Would you know if there is plan of the rows of graves?

by norman @, Malvern Hills, Saturday, January 10, 2015, 00:16 (3388 days ago) @ al

Unfortunately prior to that survey many headstones had been removed and stacked randomly against the south wall of the churchyard . I remember there being a reasonable number in that south eastern area where there are now very few , the vase that marks my grandparents' grave being one of them
My guess is that the relocation (or desecration depending on your point of view ) took place in the early 70s
Last time I was in the Churchyard there were still stones near the wall but they had deteriorated to such an extent that few were readable

by HarryBrook @, Saturday, January 10, 2015, 07:54 (3388 days ago) @ al

The burial ground plan may be available on this CD from Gloucestershire Family History Society (Memorial Inscriptions 2003). It is not available online as far as I know. There are plans to make it available as a download. Best check with G.F.H.S. before committing to buy, to make sure it is what you want.
http://gfhs.org.uk/products-page/cddvd/m-i-s/

RSS Feed of thread