Glos. St. Michaels (Parish Records)

by kate fletcher @, Pennsylvania, USA, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 07:44 (3351 days ago)

Located marriage record for John FLETCHER and Mary COLDRICK dated 28 Oct. 1712, parish is listed as Glos. St. Michaels. Not able to locate on FoD maps, and am trying to understand location of marriage. Am located in Pennsylvania, US and do struggle with things like localities. Appreciate any assistance offered. Kate Fletcher

Glos. St. Michaels

by RogerrGriffiths @, Swindon, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 10:31 (3351 days ago) @ kate fletcher

I think this it:-

Wikipedia - St Michael's Tower. The parish no longer exists, but there's quite a bit of history to it.

Glos. St. Michaels

by tichfen @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 15:22 (3351 days ago) @ kate fletcher

Try this web site I think this what is left of the old St Michaels Church Gloucester.

St Michael's Tower | Gloucester Civic Trust

gloucestercivictrust.org/about-gloucester-civic-trust/st-michaels-tower/

St Michael's Tower stands on the highest part of the city of Gloucester where the four main streets cross. Some 25 metres in height it was built in the footprint of ...

Glos. St. Michaels

by tichfen @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 15:37 (3351 days ago) @ kate fletcher

Hi its me again.

I have a book called ( Gloucester in old picture postcards ) and in there is a picture taken of St Micheals Church in 1910. You might be able to buy this book off the internet I bought mine from Gloucester Family History Centre in Alvin Street.

There is also a brilliant web site for Gloucestershire and its called Gloucestershire BMD which I find a great help.

Best of luck.

Glos. St. Michaels - Genuki website

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 15:50 (3351 days ago) @ tichfen

Hi Kate,
those daft enough to have read my posts know I'm a big fan of the Genuki website. I used to think I was quite good at local geography yet I've found it really helpful for learning about placenames I thought I "knew", and of course elsewhere too It also aids placing their location in relation to other nearby places, such as might be mentioned in census returns, marriages in Parish Records etc. This all comes with that area's general history from a Victorian standpoint, plus some Genuki pages also include additional helpful data such as old Census info etc.
Just "google" the word "Genuki" followed by the placename, in this instance I got this rather brief mention which I hope is the same Parish in Gloster.

I know Barton Street is one of the city's main thoroughfairs and Barton is a quite old (Victorian?) residential area of the city, possibly a more modern name than your C18th researches ?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Gloucester/StMichael/index.html

By clicking on the above page's blue hyperlinked titles you can find out more about the surrounding area, the Genuki site covers the whole of Britain and I cannot recommend it too highly.
eg from the above site you can find this overall page for the city of Gloucester and it's various parishes, apparently St Michaels dates back to the 1500s !.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Gloucester/index.html

That page also includes links to the 1830 Pigot's Directory which includes these names, interestingly they are at Barton Street, your ancestors perhaps ??

"FLETCHER Elizabeth Mrs. Barton Street
FLETCHER Ralph Surgeon Barton Street "

The above page also gives a detailed 1868 Gazetteer which describes Gloucester as
"the capital of Gloucestershire, is situated in the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton." Perhaps this is the same Barton ?

It would appear that what we call Barton Street is indeed named after King's Barton Street etc, the area of Kings Barton dates to Domesday, has now been swallowed up by the city of Gloucester. This helpful page includes maps etc.
http://www.domesdaymap.co.uk/place/SO8418/kings-barton/

The other great website I use when trying to unravel Parishes and Census areas is this one; http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/gloucester.html

A big thanks to you Kate for encouraging me to learn something new !
Hope this helps, J

Glos. St. Michaels - Genuki website

by kate fletcher @, Pennsylvania, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:20 (3347 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks so very much to all who responded to my query. Still learning, and am certain I will be referring to the information again and again. Kate Fletcher,

RSS Feed of thread