BATH family of Lydney & Ian THOMAS (General)

by Don Cameron @, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 07:47 (3188 days ago)

Some time back - 2005 to be exact, there was a now lost posting to the forum as follows:

Bath family Lydney
by Ian Thomas , Saturday, June 25, 2005, 15:51 (3686 days ago) @ Brian Ellis
The George Robertson (Roberts) refered to in the 1881 census is in fact my Grandfather George James Thomas. He was adopted after his mother Louisa died, and we believe was abandoned by his father John Morris Thomas.

He would never speak of his father or his early years.

I'd like to make contact with Ian THOMAS if possible, as his grandfather Geroge James THOMAS, was the son of my relative Louisa THOMAS nee ROBERTS.

Any help much appreciated.

--
Don Cameron

BATH family of Lydney & Ian THOMAS

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 08:10 (3187 days ago) @ Don Cameron

The thread you refer to can be found at:
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=545

by ForestPrints ⌂ @, Yorkley, Forest of Dean, UK, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 16:31 (3187 days ago) @ Don Cameron

Hello Don,
Louisa Thomas, nee Roberts, was my great grandmother. Born 11th September 1854, married John Morris Thomas born 19th February 1857 on the 6th January 1879.
Died in childbirth 30th January 1880 giving birth to her second child, also named Louisa, who died the same day.
John Morris Thomas disappeared from view after this and has defied all efforts to pin him down.

by Don Cameron @, Thursday, July 30, 2015, 04:38 (3187 days ago) @ ForestPrints

Good to meet another relative ForestPrints.

My connexion to Louisa ROBERTS (1854 - 1880) is through her mother Louisa ROBERTS nee HULIN (1824 - ?), the daughter of James HULIN (1797 - 1874), and his wife Esther, or Hester HULIN nee BANISTER (? - ?). I see from Ian THOMAS' post of 2005, that Louisa THOMAS nee ROBERTS, and her husband John Morris THOMAS, had at least one son named George James THOMAS, and that he was adopted after Louisa's death in 1880, by it seems her uncle Richard ROBERTS, and his wife Louisa. I'd like to know more about George James THOMAS, and of course your family line, and any information on the ROBERTS family in general. It seems I might be related to the ROBERTS family not only through the HULIN connexion, but also through Thomas ROBERTS and his wife Mary Ann FRANKLYN, or FRANKLIN's daughter, Amelia ROBERTS, who married my relation Richard KEARSEY. Looking last night at the 1841 Census of Newland, Gloucestershire, I noted that in the household of Thomas and Mary Ann ROBERTS, were William KERSEY, and his wife Jane KERSEY, nee LUCAS. William KERSEY was the son of Mark Nurthen KERSEY, and so this appears to link up our KEARSEY family with the KERSEY'S of Newent, Gloucestershire - a link we have always assumed was there, but until now, could not make the connexion. Our KEARSEY'S family, as a group, all added an "a" to our family name in the late 1700s - for what reason we don't know - it was quite a few families who made this switch all at the same time.

I'm not sure now, and I should really check before posting on the forum, my direct e-mail address, so I'll do that and if it's OK will get back to you with it.

Kind regards,

Don Cameron.

--
Don Cameron

by Don Cameron @, Thursday, July 30, 2015, 23:09 (3186 days ago) @ Don Cameron

I may have gotten the bit about Amelia ROBERTS, being the daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann ROBERTS, incorrect, further research now indicates her father to be William ROBERTS. It states in the 1851 Census, that she was born in Newland, Gloucestershire, but I can't find any such record of her births/ baptism, in the general time frame for her given year of birth.

--
Don Cameron

RSS Feed of thread