Neptune Smith ,Burial (General)

by neptune @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 19:25 (3195 days ago)

Just found out that my great, great grandfather was buried Jul 14th, 1885 age 99 years. Coleford Cemetery, South division, Adults GR, H1, unconsecrated. Wonder why that would be. His occupation is down as labourer at 99? I know he was a pedlar maybe gypsy ,earlier in life. I presume his grave is unmarked, would I be able to roughly find it . Any help please.

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by ijriddell @, Cinderford, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 09:41 (3194 days ago) @ neptune

There is a thread about Neptune on the forum already.

He(or one of his close relatives) was a fiddler for local Morris Dancing sides. I'll look at my notes later. There is brief history on http://www.gypsygenealogy.com/showarticle.php?article_id=55

Ian Riddell (PRO Forest of Dean Morris Men)

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by neptune @, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 21:16 (3194 days ago) @ ijriddell

Thank you so much, many family Christian names there. I have scraps of the marriage lines for his daughter Sophia who married John Loveridge my late mothers grandparents. Thrilled to read this I would be grateful for any other help. Carole

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by neptune @, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 22:14 (3194 days ago) @ neptune

I see you are in Cinderford, my daughter has recently moved to Chepstow. do you know if it is easy to get to Coleford Cemetery by bus please. Thanks Carole

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by Loveridge @, Tuesday, August 08, 2017, 21:35 (2461 days ago) @ neptune

Hi Carole. I have only just seen your post. Any information that you might have on John Loveridge would be of interest to me. John Loveridge

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by May @, Friday, August 07, 2015, 00:11 (3194 days ago) @ neptune

Hello,

Some of my own family is buried in Coleford Cemetery and I did the transcription of the burial records for this site. I have also made a plan of the cemetery and have started working on transcribing the Memorial inscriptions from photographs with the aim of marking the headstones on my plan.

Bearing in mind there were over 6,000 burials in the old part of the cemetery this is a huge undertaking but it is fortunate in this case that I have covered part of the South Division Adult Graves. There is still a huge amount of work to do on this project.

My research, transcribing and cross referencing so far tells me that the unmarked grave H1, (Neptune Smith) is alongside (G1) which does have a headstone and so it can be pinpointed.

If you wish to contact me via the envelope symbol at the top of this message I will send you a sketch marking the area you need to look at and a photograph of the area showing the headstone alongside Neptune Smith's grave.

It seems that the Southern part of the Cemetery is the unconsecrated ground which only means that the persons buried there were of various denominations - Methodist, Baptist, possibly some Catholics and others, rather than the Church of England Anglicans who were buried in the consecrated ground in the Northern half of the Cemetery.

May Brace

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by neptune @, Friday, August 07, 2015, 21:53 (3193 days ago) @ May

Thank you ,have sent message ,thrilled. Carole

Neptune Smith ,Burial

by neptune @, Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 20:16 (3182 days ago) @ May

To May, I have found the map you mentioned on this site, it is a good one. When the grandchildren return to school and I have had my holiday, my daughter and I are going in search of Neptunes grave. Many thanks for your help.
Carole

RSS Feed of thread