Knight Family (General)

by fraleybr, Monday, September 14, 2015, 15:43 (3141 days ago)

Does anyone have any connection or information on the Knight Family of Awre and Upleadon areas. Particularly interested in Lewin Robert Washbourn Knight. thanks

Knight Family

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, September 14, 2015, 20:20 (3140 days ago) @ fraleybr

I wonder if this is the Lewin R.W. KNIGHT who appears in GR 1891 Census in the household of his mother-in-law, Hannah FLUX, and living at Aylburton. He is described as a mariner, born at Awre, ca 1854.

There is an entry in the BNA which, at least, contains a brief description of him:-

Gloucester Citizen - Monday 21 November 1887

HIGHWAY ROBBERY IN DEAN FOREST.

The Lydney-on-Severn police are engaged investigating an affair which has created no little alarm in the neighbourhood. On Friday evening a sailor, named Lewin Knight, went to the police-station and complained that he had been violently assaulted and robbed by two men. His appearance went to confirm the story, as he was bleeding from a wound on the back of the head, while there were other injuries on his face. Complainant is a sailor belonging to the trow Staunch, which was engaged in the coal trade from Lydney to Bridgwater. The trow arrived at Lydney Friday morning, and in the evening Knight, who had been all day assisting in reloading, started off alone for his home at Aylburton. When near the old entrance to L ydney Park, he alleges that two men pounced upon him and kicked him brutally. In an instant his trousers pockets were cut out, and his assailants, disengaging themselves, made off in the direction of Lydney. The assault took place at six o'clock, and it was then very dark. Knight admits that he did not raise much alarm, nor offer very determined resistance, but he asserts that this was due to his being altogether over-matched. He is a young fellow, with considerable muscular strength, standing about six feet high, and some surprise is expressed that he should have submitted thus meekly to be filched of his possessions.

Knight Family

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 10:06 (3140 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Transcript Details

Record_ID: 34542
Entry_Number: 178
Year: 1884
Month: Dec
Day: 30
Grooms_Surname: KNIGHT
Grooms_Forenames: Lewin Robert Washbourne
Grooms_Age: 29
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Waterman
Grooms_Residence: Aylburton
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: KNIGHT
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: William
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Labourer
Brides_Surname: FLUX
Brides_Forenames: Sarah Ann
Brides_Age: 27
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Aylburton
Brides_Fathers_Surname: FLUX
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: William
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Waterman
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns: [not stated]
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Frassut Dancey[?]
Witness_2: Mark of William Flux
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Richard Stevens
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P209 IN 1/16
Page_Number: 89
Parish_Chapel: Lydney

Knight Family

by fraleybr, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 20:06 (3139 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

Thanks Paul.

Knight Family

by fraleybr, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 20:05 (3139 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike for that interesting anecdote. This is the Knight I was looking for, after he died his widow married a Lewis Knight how bizarre is that. I have not been to the forest for some time, but must revisit before long. Interestingly at the National Archives I was talking to someone from the Forest of Dean and he mentioned that he knew a Luin, not sure if it was Gorin or a Knight. But another track to follow. I am getting a bit congused st times as the Knights/Gorins seem to use the same names several times in each generation either Luin, Richard, Sydney.

Knight Family

by Richard111, Friday, October 06, 2017, 20:21 (2387 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Hi Mike
I am possitive that this is in our family tree at the name Lewin crops up with increasing regularity. His full name is Lewin Robert Washbourne Knight

Knight Family

by luketaylor89 @, Monday, October 05, 2015, 21:52 (3119 days ago) @ fraleybr

Hi

My ancestor William Taylor married Alice Knight (b.1831, d.1899), 03 March 1850 in Newnham. I think that is fairly close to Awre, and William puts his place of birth as Awre on some documents.

Luke

RSS Feed of thread