Interactive map of FOD (General)

by jevans @, USA, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 19:29 (2845 days ago)

Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone knows of an interactive map of the FOD? A few weeks ago I found one, that listed the distances between all the villages. It was very helpful in clarifying for me the likelihood of which persons might be mine, especially when marriages took place away from the home church. For example, I didn't know that the Village of Berry Hill was only 1.5 miles from Coleford. In my notes, I listed this information under "Civil Parish of West Dean". But, when I googled it, trying to find it again, nothing came up that was what I had previously seen.

I searched this website and cannot find it. I regularly google the parishes and villages and may have found it that way. Anyway I can't seem to locate it now. If anyone knows of this site, can you please let me know? I think this information would benefit others who are not familiar with the lay of the land.

Thank you for your consideration,
Janet

Interactive map of FOD

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 08:18 (2845 days ago) @ jevans

Have you searched your web browser history for it? Unless you clear your history regularly, it's probably still there.

Interactive map of FOD

by jevans @, USA, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 14:39 (2844 days ago) @ probinson

I did. Unfortunately, my browser automatically clears the history after a couple of days. I have a feeling I was on another website and clicked on a link to the map.

Thanks for your idea. I'll keep looking and if I find it, I will post it here so others can use it.

Interactive map of FOD

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 16:07 (2844 days ago) @ jevans

Slim chance, but, if you use Chrome and have a Google account then Google keeps your activity. You can view it at myactivity.google.com

Interactive map of FOD

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 17:48 (2844 days ago) @ jevans

We have maps on this website and I would refer to Forest of Dean Parish Map in particular. This can be accessed from the Parish Records Search page or from the Menu: The Forest of Dean - Maps of the Forest.
At one time we did have the facility to measure distance between places built in but due to changes within Google we have dropped it as it requires new programming and the facility is available within Google Maps.
Go to Google Maps and search for a place of interest. When located right hand click on the marker to reveal a drop down list which includes “Measure distance”. Click on this item and follow instructions. It is a straight line measurement but you could also use the Directions facility which will give you routes and distance using various modes of transport and walking.

Interactive map of FOD

by jevans @, USA, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 02:45 (2844 days ago) @ admin

Thank you both for your tips. I did check the Chrome feature but did not find that map site. I also checked Google maps and used the distance check feature, which I did not know about previously. It will be very helpful in my research.

I appreciate your help!
Janet

RSS Feed of thread