where is it (General)

by e clarke @, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 14:08 (2837 days ago)

Hi can anyone tell where Delle Courte is or was. Thanks. E Clarke

where is it

by shepway @, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 16:37 (2837 days ago) @ e clarke

Could you tell us where you are taking this name from please as this could help us trace it.

Mike

where is it

by e clarke @, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 17:31 (2837 days ago) @ shepway

All I have is a birth record of Samuel Malson baptised 26.5.1594 father Thomas, brother Robert 1586 and sisters Elinor 1578, and Katheryn 1576,residence The Delle Court. Was trying to discover if it was my family line or another branch. Sorry that's all I have. Liz

where is it

by shepway @, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 17:38 (2837 days ago) @ e clarke

Every little helps!

This points us to Westbury on Severn. A useful research source is the Victoria County History which is available online and there is reference to the Malson family on this webpage: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol10/pp79-85 There is no reference to the place/property you quote but it may help you establish links.

A search has also been made in the Gloucester Archives Online Catalogue for the place/property but no luck. I have not searched for Malson. This is the link to the catalogue: http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/CalmView/

Mike

where is it - Delle Court ? Westbury on Severn ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 18:54 (2837 days ago) @ shepway

Hi Mike,
sorry, I should have posted earlier when I first saw Liz's post. Her previous posts have been abt the Malson family at Moys Hill which is a house south of Westbury Court.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=19611

Studying the various old O.S. maps remind me there are or have been several "Courts" in the Westbury area, eg Elton Court, Adsett Court, Court Farm, Stantway Court and nowadays Westbury Court Garden of course. I guess they are named after Westbury Court, who perhaps owned the land they stand on ?. Perhaps Delle Court is another one in this same general area, or maybe an older name which is no longer used. By the way "Delle" means "hollow" aka dell in German, altho I suspect this usage is from the Italian "delle" or French("de le"), both meaning "of the". Perhaps Delle Court was a cottage belonging to Westbury Court ?. All guesses of course....

Old O.S. maps here
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=13&lat=51.8396&lon=-2.4192&layers=39&...

I wonder if this name dates back, sadly, before the Ordnance Survey maps were first drawn c1840. Westbury Court Garden was laid-out c1700, since then there have been a few "Manor" Houses, all long gone, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_Court_Garden

I know it's a Dutch-style Garden, but Italian-style architecture hence, perhaps, house names was also very popular in times past.

???

PS Maybe this enquiry should be directed towards the National Trust, who own the Court, and/or Glos Archives.

where is it - Delle Court ? Westbury on Severn ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 20:02 (2837 days ago) @ Jefff

As we all know, I am SUCH a fool !.
Just realised Liz's enquiry relates to a Baptism in 1594, so far before any OS maps etc, or even the Court Garden for that matter !. With a record that old I guess almost anything's possible. I have found this Baptism on FamilySearch, which may be Liz's source too, which confirms it's in the Westbury On Severn area.

Name Samuel Malson
Gender Male
Christening Date 26 May 1594
Christening Place WESTBURY ON SEVERN,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name Thomas Malson

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Asamuel...

where is it

by Olwyn @, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 11:10 (2836 days ago) @ e clarke

Does Old Ley Court sound a similar enough name?
This was a medieval Manor House in Upper Ley(Just NE of Westbury on Severn).

where is it

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, July 14, 2016, 20:44 (2836 days ago) @ e clarke

There are images of the baptisms of Katheryn (June 8. 1578) and Elinor (Feb 6, 1576/7) available on Ancestry. Having had a good look at them I am convinced that they read “the doble court(e)” rather than “the delle courte(e)”.The fact that, unlike most place names, the first part of the name has not been capitalised seems to suggest the word is not a proper noun. Therefore I’m tempted to suggest that the entries should be read as “the double court”. The question then is where could a place satisfying such a description be found? It’s only speculation, but if we don’t speculate……………

DANIELL alias MALSON - Rodley, Westbury on Severn

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, July 15, 2016, 13:03 (2835 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Men in Armour for Gloucester 1608

Westbury on Severn (RODLEY)

Surname: MALSON

John A40 lower stature = (c1568)
Thomas - butcher - A20 lower stature = (c1588)
Richard - husbandman - A20 middle stature
Robert - brother of Richard - A20 - lower stature
John - son of Thomas - sailor - A20 - lower stature
Thomas - son of John - senior -A 20 - lower stature
Harry PARRY servant to Thomas MALSON - butcher A40 - lower stature

(Richard & Robert are brothers both aged around 20)
Thomas aged around 40 and Thomas around 20 are butchers)
Thomas aged around 20 is the son of John aged around 40)

Westbury on Severn (Adcet part of the manor or Rodley)

Surname: MALSON

Thomas - husbandman - A40 - tallest stature

---

Katheryn MALSON married Samuel BURDE - 27 November 1608

and Men in Armour lists

Westbury on Severn (Rodley)

Samuell BYRD - Weaver A40 Lower stature

---

There is a previous thread re: hutts farm (in November 2013)

'Rodley was not just a hamlet within Westbury parish, but a tithing, and part of the much larger manor of Rodley, so pinning its location down may not be straightforward. The 1697 document referred to is a renewal of a 1665 lease made as a marriage

Marriage settlement upon Stephen MALSON and Mary LAUNDER. Possibly the earlier document will have a more detailed description of the location'.

The National Archives (A2A)

Reference: DL 4/32/16

Description: Short title: PAYNER v DANIEL

Plaintiffs: PAYNTER

Defendants: Daniell alias MALSON and others
Documents: depositions concerning Rodley, Gloucestershire. 32 Eliz

Date: 1589-1590

Held by: The National Archives Kew

Legal status: Public Record(s)

Language: English

Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

(so we have an ALIAS) and the Forest of Dean records have earlier DANIEL's and variations of this surname at Westbury on Severn

and possible famly christians names under DANIELs i.e. Kathryn, Robert, John, Richard etc.

----

Using the Advance search and just put ALIAS in the child's SURNAME baptism - there are 7 pages of different alias' and 10 pages of ALIAS for burials.

---

Men in Armour

Westbury on Severn (RODLEY)

DANIELL

John A40 - tallest stature
Thomas - senior - Sailor A60 - middle stature
Thomas - A40 - junior son of Thomas - middle stature

A Katheryn DANIEL married Richard LAWNDER 7 January 1581 and later on (as above) Stephen MALSON married Mary LAUNDER - (?keeping land in the family)

---

Gloucestershire Records Office earliest wills for

Richard DANIELL - 1546 Westbury on Severn Rodley
Ellen DANYELL -1559 - Widow - Westbury on Severn

---

Glos St Nicholas 24 October 1676

Richard MALSON married Elizabeth DANIELL

DANIELL alias MALSON - Rodley, Westbury on Severn

by e clarke @, Tuesday, July 19, 2016, 12:17 (2831 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks everyone for your input have a few lines to follow now. I have been told by several people that all the Malsons from the Forest of Dean are likely to be connected somehow, so I was just seeing if there was a link to my line who started off at Moys Hill farm in the 1540's. E Clarke

RSS Feed of thread