Ely Hatton of Ruardean (not the one hanged for murder) (General)

by janehope @, Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 13:19 (2813 days ago)

Hope someone can help with this puzzle. I am a descendant of Phillip Hatton (born Ruardean 1649 - he's my 8x great grandfather). Puzzled for some years over the birth of his son, an Edward Hatton baptised 1672 Ruardean as none of us have ever found anything else about him. Now that Ancestry have actually got the original transcripts a couple of us have worked out that the entry is not Edward but Ely. This would make sense as a brother Thomas names his son Ely (the one who was hanged). Found 2 marriages for Ely Hatton - first to Ann Gray and then to Margaret Edy. Have also found baptisms for his daughters Elizabeth, Margaret, Ann and Jane all in Ruardean. Low and behold though he's gone missing. If anyone finds him/comes across him could you send him home please - this 8x grand niece would like to put this one to bed.

Many thanks.

Jane Hope

Ely Hatton of Ruardean (not the one hanged for murder)

by shepway @, Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 18:46 (2813 days ago) @ janehope

Not found a burial for Ely but it would appear that his widow married in 1722:
Year: 1722
Month: May
Day: 26
Grooms_Surname: NELMES
Grooms_Forenames: Thomas
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition:
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Ruardean
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: HATTON
Brides_Forenames: Margaret
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: widow
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Ruardean
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns:
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark:
Witness_1:
Witness_2:
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference:
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Walford

In many cases a widow married again within a short period of the death of her husband so perhaps we can narrow down the search period. Question is where the burial took place: Ruardean, Walford or maybe Welsh Bicknor? Nothing obvious in the transcripts.

Mike
PS: My wife is a HATTON and we met with Jim from Vancouver at the Malt Shovel, Ruardean some years ago.

Ely Hatton of Ruardean (not the one hanged for murder)

by janehope @, Thursday, August 11, 2016, 21:47 (2811 days ago) @ shepway

Thanks for this Mike. It will narrow it down. I've attended our Hatton reunion every year that Bill Watkins has organised one. We had one last year which Jim couldn't attend. There hasn't been one this year - hopefully next year Bill can arrange something. Funnily enough I had an email from Jim today as I had a query for one of our many John Hattons.

Many thanks - at least I have another angle to look at.

Jane

RSS Feed of thread