James Tingle (General)

by vcatkinson @, Friday, August 26, 2016, 15:49 (2798 days ago)

My 6x Gt grandfather is James Tingle, married Ann Rock 1702 in Newland. I can find no baptism for him except 10 May 1680 St Briavels or Newland on some ancestry trees.
I wonder if anyone has access to the actuals if they could look at this date to see if it actually exists?

--
10 generations in the Forest

James Tingle, born abt 1680 Newland ??

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, August 26, 2016, 18:10 (2798 days ago) @ vcatkinson

My 6x Gt grandfather is James Tingle, married Ann Rock 1702 in Newland. I can find no baptism for him except 10 May 1680 St Briavels or Newland on some ancestry trees.
I wonder if anyone has access to the actuals if they could look at this date to see if it actually exists?

Hi Vicki,
I've looked thro' the usual online respources and cannot find James' Baptism, probably the same resources as you've used including LDS and thie site's PRs. I wondered if the Baptism is included in the various cd-roms available from Glos FH Society, but this page suggests the date is too early for them ?.
http://gfhs.org.uk/products-page/cddvd/baptisms/

Hopefully another forum member has access to resources such as these ?

I see you're on Ancestry, as you'll have seen the Tingles were prevalent to the east of the FoD, eg Littledean and Awre, just as our site's PRs show.
I wonder if you've seen this Will on Ancestry which is in the possession of Gloucester Archives ? If not I can download and email you the image.

Name: James Tingle
Document Type: Will
Will Date: 1754
Will Number: 87
Place: Newland
Court: Consistory Court of Gloucester
Civil Place: Gloucestershire, England
Reference Code: 249790

http://search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=OPI2286&_phstart=successSource...

Admittedly it doesn't help with your Baptism query but I thought it might be of interest. It lists James brothers etc but, as far as I can see, doesn't actually name his "beloved wife" which is a shame.

(The Will is shown in Glos Archive's Genealogical Database, which sadly doesn't suggest a baptism for James.
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

UPDATE, apologies, it seems this particular James' wife is Mary, so not your man. Thanks once again to MPG, whose prior post mentions it, see
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=43986

Good luck !

James Tingle, born abt 1680 Newland ??

by vcatkinson @, Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:27 (2765 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you for your reply and I apologise for not posting a reply sooner but I have been away.

I think my reply To M Griffiths explains the will you so kindly wrote of..if only his father had done the same!

--

James Tingle

by vcatkinson @, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 11:48 (2797 days ago) @ vcatkinson

Thank you for your informative reply - the James Tingle will 1754 - he is my 6x gt grandmother's second husband, the son-in-law Richard Morgan he mentions in the will is Mary's child by her first husband Isaac Morgan.
Her daughter Ann Morgan(1718) married William Tingle (1711) who is the son of James Tingle the subject of this thread and brother to James d1754

Complicated!

--

James Tingle

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 12:54 (2797 days ago) @ vcatkinson

Good advice, given to me years ago, when trying to fathom out my husband's GRIFFITHS line - was to try and form family groups and look for family names

On the Forest of Dean records, the earlier TINGLE is

BURIAL - Monmouth

- Edward TINGLE - 1676

? there is on Family search - baptism at Wonastow, Monmouthshire of James TINGLEY - 9 January 1675.

Checking Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608 - there are no TINGLEs' or variations of listed.

---

AWRE

BAPTISMS

All spelt TINGLE

Robert - son of Robert - 1681
Anne - daughter of Robert & Issabell - 1684
James - son of Robert & Issabell - 1687
Mary - daughter of Robert & Isabell - 1691

BURIALS

Robert TINGLE - 1683 - son of Robert & Issabell
Robert TINGLE - 1710
Isabell TINGLE - 1713 - widow

(no marriages)

Robert TINGLE - marriage to Issabell (?)

-------

LITTLEDEAN

BAPTISMS

Richard TINGLE - son of Richard - 1683
Thomas TINGLE - son of James & Anne - 1703
Sarah TINGLE - daughter of James & Ann - 1704
Joseph TINGEL - son of James & Ann - 1708
William - son of James of Newland 1711

BURIALS

Ann TINGEL - 1686
Elizabeth TINGEL - 1709 - of Newland
Ann TINGEL - 1704 - Hamlet of Newland
James TINGEL - 1704 - of Flaxley

------

NEWLAND

BAPTISMS

Rosa TINGLE - daughter of Jonathan & Eliz - 1698
Rose TINGLE - daughter of Jonathan - 1700
Ann TINGLE - daughter of Jonathan - 1702
Joseph TINGLE - son of Jonathan & Eliz - 1704
Jonathan TINGLE - son of Jonathan & Eliz - 1707

MARRIAGE

Jonathan TINGLE - Eliza BLAKE 1697
James TINGLE -Ann Rock 1702

BURIAL

Rosa TINGLE - 1699 - daughter of Jonathan & Eliz

------

HOPE MANSELL

BAPTISMS

Elizabeth TINGLE - daughter of James & Elizabeth - 1687
Susanna TINGLE - daughter of James & Elizabeth - 1690

WALFORD

MARRIAGE

Experience TINGLE - 1689

RUARDEAN

Richard TINGLE - son of Richard & Mary - 1710

-----

5 male lines around that time

AWRE

Robert having children in 1681

LITTLEDEAN

Richard - having a child in 1683
James - having children in 1709 - named a son Joseph in 1708

one early burial of Ann in 1686

NEWLAND

Jonathan - marrying in 1697 (named a son Joseph in 1704 and a daughter Ann (Ann TINGEL burial at Awre 1686)

HOPE MANSELL

James & Elizabeth having children in 1687

---

Just to re-cap from previous thread:

James TINGLE's WILL 1754 - mentions Wife Mary, and brothers, William/Joseph & Robert

----

Marriage at Gloucester Cathedral 1738

James TINGLE (aged 30) = c 1708 of Little Dean and Mary MORGAN by Licence

James Tingle

by janehope @, Monday, September 05, 2016, 19:02 (2788 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Not much more help I'm afraid but there is a baptism of a James Tingle son of Robert Tingle by his wife Elizabeth on 27 August 1686 at Awre. This is from the baptism record online at Ancestry. The same record has also been recorded but lists the mother as Isabell - but having read the record for Awre baptisms would say that it is a mis-transcription.

I have this James on my tree - not because I've any connection yet but because I have a Hatton (my research name) marrying a Tingle. I have a note against James that date of birth/baptism could be 1680(not proven) or 1686.

To throw something into the mix, the other reason the name is interesting is because I also have Rock(e). Hatton marrying Rocke - that family though springs from Shrewsbury. You might like to extend your search area. Found quite a few Rock(e) people in Shrewsbury - no Tingle though.

Happy hunting!
Jane

James Tingle

by vcatkinson @, Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:18 (2765 days ago) @ janehope

Not much more help I'm afraid but there is a baptism of a James Tingle son of Robert Tingle by his wife Elizabeth on 27 August 1686 at Awre. This is from the baptism record online at Ancestry. The same record has also been recorded but lists the mother as Isabell - but having read the record for Awre baptisms would say that it is a mis-transcription.

I have this James on my tree - not because I've any connection yet but because I have a Hatton (my research name) marrying a Tingle. I have a note against James that date of birth/baptism could be 1680(not proven) or 1686.

To throw something into the mix, the other reason the name is interesting is because I also have Rock(e). Hatton marrying Rocke - that family though springs from Shrewsbury. You might like to extend your search area. Found quite a few Rock(e) people in Shrewsbury - no Tingle though.

Happy hunting!
Jane

Thank you for your reply - sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been away.

'my' James Tingle married in 1702 in Newland so 1686 is a bit late for him. He died 1726 in Littledean although his children were baptised Littledean, Flaxley, back to Littledean and the last in St Briavels.

Here's hoping he appears one day!

--

James Tingle

by vcatkinson @, Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:30 (2765 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for your reply and I apologise for not replying sooner as I have been away.

Thank you for all the information, I shall now commence following them up in hope of finding a clue!

--

James Tingle

by Chris Ingram, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 00:55 (2297 days ago) @ vcatkinson

Looking for information on Robert Tingle b. 1751 parents William and Ann (Morgan) Tingle. Grandparents are James Tingle and Ann Rock. All from the Bream/ Newland area.

James Tingle

by vcatkinson @, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 12:09 (2297 days ago) @ Chris Ingram

I have him as marrying Sarah MORSE 15 Oct 1773 Newland, they had Mary c1773, William c1775, James c1777, Ann c1778, William c1780, Elizabeth c1784

--

James Tingle

by Chris Ingram, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 22:31 (2297 days ago) @ vcatkinson

Thank you. That is what I have found. I think Mary married 1 Sep 1801 English Bicnor Glos, George JAMES. They had 5 children - Thomas 1805 Charles 1808 Isaac 1811 Sarah 1813 Hannah 1814. Sarah married 1835 John WILLETTS. This is my line.

RSS Feed of thread