MACHEN Family and SMITH Family Letter 1873-1889 (General)

by jevans @, USA, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 02:18 (2779 days ago)

Hello Friends,
I hope this is an appropriate posting. I was going through some old letters from my GGG Grandmother, Mary Smith, Hillersland to her daughter Jane Smith who had emigrated to the US in 1869. The letter would have been written in the 1873-1889 time period. the letter may be of interest to the Machen family. There is an interesting reference to a Machen marriage taking place at Bicknor where there had not been a Machen bride for 100 years! Several Machen names are mentioned. There is also an abbreviation which I am not familiar with. It is used in reference to the Machen women. It isn't Miss, as that was used as is. It looks more like Mifs or Mils. Mistress? If anyone know what this may be, please let me know.

If anyone would like me to copy the letter and email it, I would be happy to do so, although it is quite faded so I am not sure how well it would copy. There was no punctuation in the letter so I have taken the liberty of inserting where needed for easier reading.

Thank you
Janet Evans

Here is the letter.

First page:
Henry (Smith) has 3 nice fine boys. Carries are 3. They grow up so fast. polys (Polly - not sure who this is) 3, you have seen. She had a dear little boy that died but he is better off. Send me m-- - have all Johns --- one is Elens (Dykes). The school mistress living with her husband(?). There is a bit (?)of lace. Harriett will send some pictures nesct (next) time, as Elen has sent some perhaps it should be too heavy now.
Dear Jane – write soon I won’t keep you so long I hope next time. I think Poly and Annie is writing now. I must conclude. With kind love from all & your affectionate mother. Mary Smith. Write soon. We have had a long, hard winter. It is beautiful now.

Next page:
There is to be a grand weding here tomorrow the 7 of April. One of the Mifs/Mils wo-s-mon? They say there has not been married a lady at Bicknor Church for a 100 years that was Mrs. Machen the present Mr. Machens grandmother, Mifs (?) Sophia was turned ninety when she died. Mifs Charlotte, Mifs Lucy Machen and another sister and their Aunt, Miss Machen that lived at Bicknor are dead. Dear Jane you must not think about my likeness if I live this next summer I will try and have it done. We talked of it last summer and that was all. you must give my love and kisses to the dear little children. I should like to be --- them.

MACHEN Family and SMITH Family Letter 1873-1889

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 03:36 (2779 days ago) @ jevans

Hi Janet,
wow, that makes interesting reading. Here's my twopennyworth, hope it helps;

1. I'm no expert but it seems possible that the Mils does actually means Miss, especially if written by a well-educated and maybe old-fashioned person ?. The "l" actually being a "long" s, so looks like an "f" with a tail, see here
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meaning-of-the-title-Mifs

2. Ref the various Machen names, I think these PRs relate to names in the letter (altho there are a few Sophias), they fit your 1870s timeframe. The PRs show that the names Sophia and Lucy were traditional family names so perhaps required differentiating-apart(?) in the letter, hence the "long" S style ?.

Record_ID: 17115
Entry_Number: 2935
Year: 1893
Month: May
Day: 15
Surname: MACHEN
Forenames: Sophia
Residence: Bicknor Court
Age_at_death: 67
Officiating_Minister: George Hustler
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death: )
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: from 1813
Page_No: 177
Parish_Chapel: English Bicknor
Soundex: M250

---

Record_ID: 42400
Entry_Number: 715
Year: 1848
Month: Aug
Day: 13
Parents_Surname: MACHEN
Child_Forenames: Lucy
Fathers_Forenames: Edward
Mothers_Forenames: Sophia
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Mitchel Dean
Officiating_Minister: E. Machen Rector
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 220 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 90
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean

and

Record_ID: 109554
Entry_Number: 409
Year: 1874
Month: May
Day: 2
Surname: MACHEN
Forenames: Lucy
Residence: Staunton
Age_at_death: 25 years
Officiating_Minister: John Senior & John Clifford Off[iciatin]g Min[isters]
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: PFC310 1/11
Page_No: 52
Parish_Chapel: Staunton

Annoyingly I cannot find the family on the 1881 Census !?, but here they are in 1891 and 1871.

1891 Bicknor Court, English Bicknor.
Edward Machen Head Male Clerk? in Holy Orders 73 1818 West Dean Gloucestershire England
Sophia Machen Wife Female 64 1827 Rodmarton Gloucestershire England
Arthur Machen Son Male 39 1852 Mitcheldean Gloucestershire England
Edith Machen Daughter Female 37 1854 Mitcheldean Gloucestershire England
Annie Machen Daughter Female 28 1863 Staunton Gloucestershire England
Florence Machen Daughter Female 24 1867 Staunton Gloucestershire England
Richard D Machen Son Student of theology Male 22 1869 Staunton Gloucestershire England
Catharine Edy Servant Cook Female 47 1844 Mordiford Herefordshire England
Elizabeth F Proctor Servant Parlormaid Female 21 1870 Sevenhampton Gloucestershire England
Clara Bevan Servant Housemaid Female 18 1873 Lydbrook Herefordshire England
Thomas Bottom Servant Stableboy Male 16 1875 Dilwyn Herefordshire England

1871 The Rectory, Staunton.
Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth City Birth County Birth Country
Edward Machen Head 53 1818 Male Rector of Staunton Dean Forest Gloucestershire England
Sophia Machen Wife 44 1827 Female Rodmarton Gloucestershire England
Edith Machen Daughter 17 1854 Female Mitcheldean Gloucestershire England
Alice Machen Daughter 14 1857 Female Mitcheldean Gloucestershire England
Henrietta Machen Daughter 12 1859 Female Bicknor Gloucestershire England
Annie Machen Daughter 8 1863 Female Staunton Gloucestershire England
Margaret Machen Daughter 6 1865 Female Staunton Gloucestershire England
Florence Machen Daughter 4 1867 Female Staunton Gloucestershire England
Richard D Machen Daughter 2 1869 Staunton Gloucestershire England
Eleanor Dancer Serv Governess 36 1835 Female Fullham London England
Ann Ravenhill Serv Cook 30 1841 Female Monmouthshire Wales
Henry A White Serv Nurse 29 1842 Male Cambridgeshire Gloucestershire England
Lucy Lock Serv Parlormaid 22 1849 Female Bicknor Gloucestershire England
Elizabeth Davis Serv Under Nurse 22 1849 Female Hay Brecknockshire Wales

The 1861 Census also has the family and five staff at Staunton Church, Edward was "Rector, born at Whitemead, Glos". This is at Parkend, see this prior thread.
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=37705

Oddly, I'm unable to find a Machen Marriage that fits anywhere near the c1870s timeframe ? Perhaps the old newspapers sites can help clarify things ?

Curiouser and curiouser..

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 10:49 (2778 days ago) @ jevans

I just wonder if this is the marriage referred to; the bride would likely have been classified as a lady,

FODFHT

Record_ID 64686
Entry_Number 118
Year 1875
Month Apr
Day 7
Grooms_Surname MAXWELL
Grooms_Forenames David Ardell
Grooms_Age full
Groom_Condition Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation Clerk in Holy orders
Grooms_Residence Perry Barr Warwickshire
Grooms_Fathers_Surname MAXWELL
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames George
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation Esquire
Brides_Surname WOOSNAM
Brides_Forenames Amy
Brides_Age 20
Brides_Condition Spinster
Brides_Occupation [not stated]
Brides_Residence Bicknor Court
Brides_Fathers_Surname WOOSNAM
Brides_Fathers_Forenames James Bowen
Brides_Fathers_Occupation Major General Royal Artillery
Licence_or_Banns Licence
Date_of_Banns
Signature_or_Mark Both sign
Witness_1 Kate Woosnam
Witness_2 James B. Woosnam
Other_Witnesses J. Richardson Dodds
Officiating_Minister Edward Machen
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P138 IN 1/12
Page_Number 59
Parish_Chapel English Bicknor

Also, this seems to be the MACHENs in 1881 – transcribed by GR as MASHEW but clearly MACHEN,

GR 1881 Census, English Bicknor, Eastbach, Eastbach House,

Edward MASHEW, Head, Mar, 63, Clerk without care of souls, b. Gloucester, Dean Forest
Sophia, Wife, Mar, 54, Gloucester, Rodmarton
Edith, Daur, Unmar, 27, Gloucester, Mitcheldean
Mary, Daur, Unmar, 25, Gloucester, Mitcheldean
Annie, Daur, Unmar, 18, Scholar, Gloucester, Staunton
Margaret, Daur, Unmar, 16, Scholar, Gloucester, Staunton
Florence, Daur, Unmar, 14, Scholar, Gloucester, Staunton
Henry Arthur Ilford, Grandson, under 3m, Gloucester, English Bicknor
Louisa CHAPMAN, Governess, Unmar, 29, Governess, Sussex, Playdon
Catharine EDY, Servant, Unmar, 50, Cook domestic, Hereford, Mordiford.
Rose OAKLEY, Servant, Unmar, 28, Housemaid domestic, Gloucester, Guiting
Harriet ASTON, Servant, Unmar, 17, K-maid domestic, Gloucester, West Dean
Thomas COOPER, Servant, Unmar, 27, Groom domestic, Monmouth

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 15:38 (2778 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike, yes that wedding does indeed look like a "society do", as was the impression I got with the Machen family when browsing their PRs.

Here's bride Amy and her family in earlier times,

1861 Census, 1 Bicknor House, English Bicknor

Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth City Birth County Birth Country
James Bowen Woosnam Head 49 1812 Male Llanidloes Montgomeryshire Wales
Agnes Woosnam Wife 41 1820 Female Ireland
Elizabeth Woosnam Daughter 19 1842 Female Bombay British Subject
Kate Woosnam Daughter 9 1852 Female Bombay British Subject
James Bowen Woosnam Son 7 1854 Male Norfolk England
Amy Woosnam Daughter 6 1855 Female Bombay British Subject
Charles Maxwell Woosnam Son 4 1857 Male Bombay British Subject
Grace Woosnam Daughter 3 1858 Female Bombay British Subject
Elizabeth Fenwick Governess 27 1834 Female Ireland
Fanny Ralph Servant,cook 24 1837 Female Kent England
Emma Griffice Servant,nurse 23 1838 Female London England
Fanny Cooper Servant,housemaid 16 1845 Female Gloucestershire England

Hard to read but Head/father James is a "Lt Colonel in the ?? Bombay Army(or)Artillery"

1871 Census, Bicknor Court, English Bicknor
James B Woosnam Head 59 1812 Male Llanidloes Montgomeryshire Wales
Agnes Woosnam Wife 51 1820 Female Queen Co Ireland
Elizabeth Woosnam Daughter 28 1843 Female Bombay
Esther Woosnam Daughter 22 Scholar at home 1849 Female Bombay
Ellen Woosnam Daughter 20 Sch at home 1851 Female Bombay
Kate Woosnam Daughter 19 Sch at home 1852 Female Bombay
Amy Woosnam Daughter 16 Sch at home 1855 Female Bombay
Grace Woosnam Daughter 13 Sch at home 1858 Female Bombay
Letitia G Watkin Servant 23 1848 Female Pintnewydd Monmouthshire Wales
Anne Kite Servant 20 1851 Female Ross Herefordshire England
Hannah Watts Servant 23 1848 Female Ilfracombe Devon England
George Little Servant 15 1856 Male English Bicknor Gloucestershire England

James is a "Major General Royal Artillery Retired list"

Record_ID: 126805
Entry_Number: 910
Year: 1856
Month: Mar
Day: 2
Parents_Surname: LITTLE
Child_Forenames: George
Fathers_Forenames: George
Mothers_Forenames: Hannah Maria
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Bicknor Street
Officiating_Minister: J Burdon
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P138 in 1/5
Page_Number: 114
Parish_Chapel: English Bicknor
Soundex: L340

And here is Amy's own family with husband David Maxwell

1881 Census, 47 St Neots Rd, Sandy, Bedfordshire

Given Name Surname Relationship to Head Marital Status Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Occupation Birth City Birth County Birth Country
David A. Maxwell Head Married 35 1846 Male Curate Of Sandy Scotland
Amy Maxwell Wife Married 26 1855 Female India
Eustace G.D. Maxwell Son 5 1876 Leam Bore Staffordshire England
Herbert B. Maxwell Son 3 1878 Male Weston S Mare Somerset England
Winifred A. Maxwell Daughter 2 1879 Female Sandy Bedfordshire England
Maria A. Beck Servant 27 1854 Female Cook (Domestic) Bourne Cambridgeshire England
May A. Bottom Servant 20 1861 Female General Domestic Huntingdon

1891 The Rectory, Thorpe Constantine, Tamworth, Staffs.

Name Surname Relationship Gender Age Estimated Birth Year Birth City or District Birth County Birth Country
David A Maxwell Head Male 45 Clerk in Holy Orders 1846 Scotland
Amy Maxwell Wife Female 36 1855 India
Winifred A Maxwell Daughter Female 12 Scholar 1879 Sandy Bedfordshire England
Muriel A Maxwell Daughter Female 9 Sch 1882 Sandy Bedfordshire England
Gwendoline E Maxwell Daughter Female 6 Sch 1885 Thorpe Staffordshire England
Malcolm L Maxwell Son Male 3 1888 Thorpe Staffordshire England
Agnes D Maxwell Son 1 1890 Sydenham Kent England
Lizzie Orchard Cook,domestic servant Female 25 1866 Groby Leicestershire England
Agnes Ranes Servant,nurse Female 24 1867 Warwickshire England
Naomi Halley Servant,parlormaid Female 28 1863 Chalford Gloucestershire England
Mary C Maides Servant,housemaid Female 20 1871 Leamington Warwickshire England
John Briggs Servant,groom & gardener Male 38 1853 Pice London England

It seems the Rectory is neighbouring the even larger household (14 staff) at Thorpe Hall. Info and photo here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorpe_Constantine
This thread seems to suggest that the life of a Victorian Rector was quite a comfortable one.

by jevans @, USA, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 16:29 (2778 days ago) @ Jefff

That is interesting that the Machen family were society folks. Does that mean there was some connection to royalty? I ask because family lore has it that my gg grandmother Jane Smith, (the one who emigrated to the US at age 20) worked as a nanny for "royalty". I am sure many of us descendants of British ancestors think their forebears had some connection to royalty. ;)

I am attaching another letter from Mary Smith to Jane Smith that mentions a "Master Anthony" and a Mrs. Temple. It appears that Mrs. Temple had visited Jane and her husband John Collins in the US, as it mentions something that happened to Jane. She had lost two children in infancy, so sounds like her mother is commiserating with her. The Lodge noted at the top of the letter is, I believe Mailscot Lodge, where the Smiths lived.

Here is the letter. Any feedback is welcome!

The Lodge, Jan. 21

Dear Jane,
It was a great relief when I received your kind letter. I send every day to enquire for a letter. After I ---- it I had one from Elen (Dykes)on Wednesday. I was very sorry indeed to hear it more so as you were by yourselves. Mrs. Temple called hear today with Master Anthony (?). He is grown very much. I suppose poor Master ----? Was much taller ---? Much you will all. ---? ---? I don’t know wither you will be able to read this for but one letter for another I think soon as ---? be able to write at all. Mrs. Temple is given me such a good account of you both that I feel quite pleased. Did you have the for---? I sent at Christmas, if you have time write to Fany (Whittington) she want to know what is become of you. She is hear. I suppose Polly (nickname for one of Jane’ sisters, not sure which – Elizabeth?) send her love, I have told Elen about George old ---? Is home still I don’t know when he is going from here we have got the new windows in at last They have been talked about for years they look much nicer and give more light I think I told you that M A. prob--? as been home. She as been living London way. She is gone back, a lady sent for her to go with her to the east indies as nurse. Mrs. Linnett at Huntsham is dead. She had a stroke and died in a few days. I am going to send f---? flowers. The weather is so mild that the spring flowers are coming out . Polly sent the lilies.
---? Dear Jane I must conclude kind ---? On all and from your affectionate mother Mary Smith
Harriett (Clements - Jane’s sister) had your letter on Monday

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 16:54 (2778 days ago) @ jevans

That is interesting that the Machen family were society folks. Does that mean there was some connection to royalty? I ask because family lore has it that my gg grandmother Jane Smith, (the one who emigrated to the US at age 20) worked as a nanny for "royalty". I am sure many of us descendants of British ancestors think their forebears had some connection to royalty. ;)
..........The Lodge noted at the top of the letter is, I believe Mailscot Lodge, where the Smiths lived.

Hi again Jane,
when I said "society" I wasn't thinking Royalty as such, but more upper/middle class people (aka "posh" or gentry) as appears to be the case with the Machen family - living in rather grand houses with servants etc, all so very different to the vast majority of Forest folk in those times. Of course it's possible Jane Smith did work for genuine "royalty", but just maybe this is family folklore, altho to many locals the privileged few who lived in these large houses would have seemed to be like Royalty in many ways. Maybe she met genuine Royals when they visited her own employer's households ?. I've been looking-up the Machen family and it's perhaps fair to say they were as near as we got to having "royalty" living in the Forest, the family had a huge impact on the lives of many generations of Foresters, initially as Surveyors of the Forest and latterly as major landowners. I'm unable to find a concise history of their lives online, but these links should help.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp101-117
https://penarthramblers.wordpress.com/walk-reports/march-2015/joy-leads-the-group-aroun...

Thanks for reminding me of your Mailscott Lodge background and your prior threads. I did wonder if this thread was from the same poster aka your good self (sorry for my poor memory wrt names !), when I saw this Census return last night, but now I realise it's the wrong Lodge. The Reddings Lodge and woodland are mentioned a lot in the above British History links ref the Bicknor area and the Machens. It's the neighbouring page to the 1871 Census to Edward Machen at Bicknor Rectory as posted above. The Census pages suggests an idyllic neighbourhood to this town dweller !

1871 Census, Reddings Lodge, Staunton, Glos.
Joseph Brown Head 35 Woodman 1836 Male Ganarew Herefordshire England
Ann Brown Wife 28 1843 Female Whitchurch Herefordshire England
Emily Brown Daughter 5 Sch 1866 Female Staunton Gloucestershire England
Sidney Brown Son 3 1868 Sch Male Staunton Gloucestershire England
Alexander Brown Son 2 1869 Male Staunton Gloucestershire England
Frank Brown Son 5 Months 1870 Male Staunton Gloucestershire England
Augusta Morgan Servant, Genr'l Domestic 14 1857 Female West Dean Gloucestershire England

References to Reddings Lodge, and the Machen family, can be found in this history of Staunton.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp272-284

by jevans @, USA, Sunday, September 11, 2016, 02:26 (2778 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you Jefff and Mike for your feedback. Something interesting - my cousin mentioned that in the Declaration of Independence, when there were two s's, the first one was done in a long form, like an f. So the abbreviation in Mary Smith's letters were, indeed for Miss!

I checked the Surname Registry on the website for Machen, but unfortunately, there appears to be no one interested in that name. If would have been good information for someone to have. Anyway it is now on the Forum if someone searches in the future.

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it.
Janet Evans

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, September 11, 2016, 18:56 (2777 days ago) @ jevans

If the letter could have been written in the first half of the 1880s this might just be a possibility. This is the only TEMPLE I can see who became associated with the immediate area.

BNA Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser - Wednesday 25 November 1857

MARRIAGES. Nov. 17, Axminster, Devon, by the Rev. Francis Tate, M.A., vicar, the Rev. John Temple, eldest son of Rev. W. S. Temple, rector of Dinsdale, Durham, to Elvira Mary, youngest daughter of the late Charles Bond, Esq., of Axminster-

GR 1861 Census, Welsh Bicknor

John TEMPLE, Head, Mar, 32, Curate of Welsh Bicknor, b. Durham
Elvira M, Wife, Mar, 27, Devon, Axminster
Mary H.S, Daur, 8m?, Devon, Axminster
Charlot BOND, Mother in law, W, 68, Landed Proprietor, Devon, Axminster
Sarah J BOND, Sister in law, Un, 35?, Landed Proprietor, Devon, Axminster
Sophia C BOND, Niece, 7, Devon, Axminster
+ 2 servants

The report of the death of Rev John TEMPLE in the BNA Bridport News - Friday 08 December 1893 gives these details of his life,

DEATH OF THE REV J. TEMPLE
Born 28th May 1828. Son of the Rev William Smoult Temple of Over Dinsdale near York.
Educated at Marlborough and University College Durham
Ordained Deacon in 1851
Ordained Priest in 1853
Curate at Kinington? Devon ? -c1857
Curate in charge of Welsh Bicknor 1857 to 1866.
Curate in charge of Wambrook, Somerset, 1866 to 1882.
Vicar of Bothenhampton, Devon, 1882 to his death in 1893
Wife Elvira died 8th Dec 1885

These are his other Census details,

GR 1871 Census, Wambrook, Somerset, Rectory,

John TEMPLE, Head, Mar, 42, Curate of Wambrook B.A., b. Durham, Durham
Elvira M, Wife, Mar, 37, Devon, Axminster
Mary H.S, Daur, 10, Devon, Axminster
Arthur W, Son, 7, Devon, Axminster
John G, Son, 5, Devon, Axminster
Eleanor S, Daur, 1, Dorset, Wambrook
+ 3 servants

GR 1881 Census, Wambrook, Somerset.

John TEMPLE, Head, Mar, 52, Curate of Wambrook, b. Durham, Durham
Elvira M, Wife, Mar, 47, Devon, Axminster
Mary H, Daur, Unmar, 20, Devon, Axminster
John G, Son, Unmar, 15, Devon, Axminster
Eleanor S, Daur, 11, Dorset, Wambrook
Edward B, Son, 9, Dorset, Wambrook
Gwladys M, Daur, 3, Dorset, Wambrook
Anthony, Son, 1, Dorset, Wambrook
+ 3 servants.

GR 1891 Census, Bothenhampton, The Vicarage

John TEMPLE, Head, Wid, 62, Vicar of Bothenhampton, Durham, Durham
Arthur Walter, Son, 27, Solicitor, Devon, Axminster
Eleanor S, Daur, 21, Dorset, Wambrook
Gwladys M.W, 13, Dorset, Wambrook
Anthony, Son, 11, Dorset, Wambrook
+2 servants

Elvira TEMPLE certainly had a son, Anthony (1880), but if they really were the people in the letter there would be only a short time window for the visit to happen. The implication is that Mary Smith had seen Anthony before so the visit would have had to be more towards 1885 when Elvira died.

I can find no evidence that an Elvira TEMPLE visited America around this time but Anthony seems to have gone to Kelowna BC in 1910 (Ancestry). He was a solicitor like his brother Arthur. Eleanor S. also went to Kelowna to visit her sister-in-law, Mrs A. TEMPLE in 1920 (also Ancestry). She gives her birthplace as Wambrook, Dorset (It's close to the Devon and Dorset borders). All the indications are that this family were very comfortably off.

by jevans @, USA, Thursday, January 03, 2019, 18:21 (1933 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Greetings again everyone,

I am writing to tie up some loose ends on my original query about the letters I posted.
Before I do that I want to thank everyone who responded on this forum. My cousin Jane and I were able to visit the FOD in September of 2017. And thanks to the help of this website and others who guided us, we were able to visit English Bicknor church, Christchurch, and Mailscot Lodge. The current owner Brian, was most gracious about letting us walk around his yard and take photos of the house. To top it all off, we were able to locate the headstone of Richard and Mary Ann Smith at Christchurch but only with the help of Trevor who stood out in the cold wind and rain to find the stone. It was an amazing emotional moment to place my hand on the headstone of my ggg grandfather and mother. His mother is also buried with them.

So here's the new information. Yesterday I found a tiny envelope amongst my papers that had gotten tucked down in the larger envelope. It was a funerary memento with a tiny lock of hair inside. No letter. It was addressed to Jame Smith c/o Rev. J. Temple at Wambrook Rectory, Wambrook. This proves that Jane probably met her future husband John Collins while in Wambrook which was near his birthplace of Heathstock.

Our guess is that she knew the Temple family while living in FOD (as he was the curate of West Bicknor) and travelled with them when they moved to Wambrook to be a servant. The envelope was posted from Malvern. There was no return address so I don't know who it came from but am researching the possibility of the death of a young niece or nephew. The Temple family must have had the means to employ servants, as there were servants listed on the census for 1871 and 1881. Jane would have been with them around 18-67-1869, so unfortunately no census during those years.

Anyway the envelope solved a huge mystery as to how Jane Smith of Hillersland met John Collins, of Heathstock. They emigrated to the U.S. in late 1869 and married when they arrived.

I just wanted to put some closure on this discussion and thank everyone for their help. My cousin Jane and I plan another trip in October of this year back to the Forest. It is truly a special place and is calling us back.

-Janet Evans

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, September 11, 2016, 23:37 (2777 days ago) @ jevans

Hi again Janet,
well, not sure why I'm posting, got me well stumped this time !

I've just spent a while trying to find the death of your Mrs Linnett of Huntsham, thinking it would be easy, yet...
Huntsham is just in Devon, on the border with Somerset, not far from Tiverton which is the nearest town of any size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsham

Well, judging by Ancestry it seems the LINNETT/Linnet name is more associated with the north or middle of England, not the southwest. There are a few Linnett families in the Yeovil area c1870s/1880s, about 30 miles due east so not really Huntsham but is the right county !..., but their ladies seem to live well into the 1900s, or move away from Devon altogether.

??? Sorry !

Re Polly, this is usually considered a nickname for Molly, which is itself a nickname for Mary; do these names fit your family ?.

see https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Traditional_Nicknames_in_Old_Documents_-_A_Wiki_List#P

by jevans @, USA, Monday, September 12, 2016, 15:11 (2776 days ago) @ Jefff

Jefff and Mike,

You're confused? My head is spinning. The Machen and Linnett families are not mine (that I know of). I just thought someone who belongs to them might be interested in what was contained in the letters from Mary Smith. I was digging around and found some interesting info on the Machens. They were, indeed, "somebody". http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp101-117
I checked the surname registry on the FOD Site and looks like no one is interested in that name, which is too bad...

-And I wonder if this was the family that my Jane Smith nannied? And like you mentioned, they may have seemed like royalty to our family and that idea is what got passed down.

Mike - the Temples are interesting because they came from Devon - where Jane Smith's future husband, John Collins was from - in the Wambrook area. So maybe there is a connection there that will help me figure out how he and Jane got together in the first place. Thanks for your work on that!

I appreciate all your help and time investigating, but don't want to be a burden chiefly because I will be asking another big question soon, when I can get my query organized. My husband and I and my cousin and her husband are planning a trip to FOD next September so I an trying to search as far back as possible before then. However the Smiths are not cooperating...

Again, thank you for all your help. It is so wonderful to have this site - it is a great resource and the Forum is a gift!

-Janet

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, September 12, 2016, 20:16 (2776 days ago) @ Jefff

I had a look for Mrs Linnett as well - with equal lack of success, except to note that there is a Huntsham Hill and Huntsham Court in the loop of the Wye near Symonds Yat.

by shepway @, Monday, September 12, 2016, 20:29 (2776 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

There is also a Huntsham Bridge over the River Wye between Symonds Yat and Goodrich. It is GradeII listed.
Mike

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, September 12, 2016, 20:34 (2776 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Hi Mike, many thanks for making me feel a little better - despite my looking in the wrong county by far !
Amazed I didn't see the Huntsham just across the Wye from Bicknor !
Guess I was blinkered by the talk of Devon, plus of course an inherent lifelong fear of all things on the "Dark side" of the border... ;-)

Thanks again, not for the first time I "must try harder"

atb Jeff

PS I still cannot find any Linnett/Linnet/Linet/Lynetts etc nesting in the Wye valley, ah well.

Seems it was more accurately known as Huntisham in the past

http://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/goodrich-images/146126
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=16412
http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Goodrich/index.html
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Goodrich/Gaz1868

by jevans @, USA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 02:18 (2775 days ago) @ Jefff

Jefff,
yes, there is a Mary Ann, daughter of the person who wrote the letters, also named Mary Ann. So I can see where the family may have referred to her as Polly to avoid confusion.

thanks!
Janet

SMITH, EDWARD

by jevans @, USA, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 17:43 (2614 days ago) @ jevans

Hello!
I’m coming to you again for help. To be honest – I am so confused that it’s difficult to phrase my question.

I am seeking to confirm the grandfather of Richard Smith (1800-1864) of Hillersland (baptized in Dixton). I believe his father and mother were Edward and Elizabeth (Gwilliam) Smith (from the memorial inscription listing Richard’s mother, Elizabeth, died in 1864 at age 93 (which would have made her birth year about 1771), and the parish records for baptism and marriage (there is no death record for Edward that I can find). So I am fairly confident that Edward and Elizabeth are Richard’s parents. The family were listed in the English Bicknor and Christchurch parishes.

When I tried to search for Richard’s grandfather, things get confusing. There is an Edward Smith who died in 1775, the same year his son, Edward was born – and the time frame fits for Richard’s birth in 1800. This is a possibility but not sure as the parish was listed as Staunton near Newent. The mother was Anne Williams (they married 1763 in Staunton). They also had a son born 1774, named Richard.

Could the Staunton Edward could be the grandfather of Richard?

Also, Richard and his father Edward were both lodge keepers. So another part of my question is how did one become a keeper? It almost looks as if the position was passed on from father to son, but I cannot find where Edward’s father was a keeper. And if the elder Edward did come from the Staunton area, is that too far to think the he might be Richard’s grandfather? Also, how would his son Edward ended up as a keeper?

Thank you for your help,
Janet

SMITH, EDWARD

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 20:48 (2614 days ago) @ jevans

As an alternative might this be the Edward SMITH who married Elizabeth GWILLIAM and was the father of Richard (1800)?

Record_ID 258672
Entry_Number
Year 1769
Month Oct
Day 15
Parents_Surname SMITH
Child_Forenames Edward
Fathers_Forenames Edward
Mothers_Forenames Anne
Mothers_Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating_Minister
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P310 IN 1/4
Page_Number 10
Parish_Chapel Staunton

Richard’s grandfather’s burial?

Record_ID 1012804
Entry_Number
Year 1796
Month Mar
Day 4
Surname SMITH
Forenames Edward
Residence
Age_at_death
Officiating_Minister
Event Burial
Cause_of_death
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P310 IN 1/4
Page_No 31
Parish_Chapel Staunton

The children of Richard’s grandfather?

Year Surn. Child Parents Residence Parish/Chapel

1765 SMITH Anne Edward Anne Staunton
1769 SMITH Edward Edward Anne Staunton
1774 SMITH Richard Edward Anne Staunton
1777 SMITH Mary Edward Anne Shortstanding Staunton
1779 SMITH William Edward Anne Staunton

Dixton, Hillersland, Shortstanding and Staunton (not the Staunton near Newent) are not that far from each other so it would keep things in the same area.

SMITH, EDWARD

by jevans @, USA, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 21:14 (2613 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you Mike. I had seen these before (except for the death record) but I was confused between the two Stauntons. I will have to dig further to determine where Edward and Anne's children ended up. It doesn't help that they all kept naming their children Edward and Richard. :) There seems to be lots of them floating around.

Thank you for your help! I am planning a trip to FOD in September so hope to break this brick wall before coming.
Janet

SMITH, EDWARD

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 22:38 (2614 days ago) @ jevans

This site shows two candidate marriages,

Record_ID 56472
Entry_Number
Year 1763
Month Jul
Day 3
Grooms_Surname SMITH
Grooms_Forenames Edward
Grooms_Age
Groom_Condition
Grooms_Occupation
Grooms_Residence
Grooms_Fathers_Surname
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation
Brides_Surname WILLIAMS
Brides_Forenames Anne
Brides_Age
Brides_Condition
Brides_Occupation
Brides_Residence of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname
Brides_Fathers_Forenames
Brides_Fathers_Occupation
Licence_or_Banns Banns
Date_of_Banns 13 20 & 27 Decem
Signature_or_Mark Both mark
Witness_1 James Lewis
Witness_2 Mark of Mary Yeates
Other_Witnesses
Officiating_Minister William Powell Curate
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P310 IN 1/3
Page_Number 22
Parish_Chapel Staunton

Record_ID 51259
Entry_Number 12
Year 1763
Month Jul
Day 3
Grooms_Surname SMITH
Grooms_Forenames Edward
Grooms_Age
Groom_Condition
Grooms_Occupation Labourer
Grooms_Residence of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation
Brides_Surname WILLIAMS
Brides_Forenames Anne
Brides_Age
Brides_Condition Spinster
Brides_Occupation
Brides_Residence Penalt in the County of Monmouth
Brides_Fathers_Surname
Brides_Fathers_Forenames
Brides_Fathers_Occupation
Licence_or_Banns Banns
Date_of_Banns 17 24 & 31 Janua
Signature_or_Mark Both mark
Witness_1 Henry Jordan
Witness_2 George Richards
Other_Witnesses
Officiating_Minister Thos Hill Rector
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P310 IN 1/3
Page_Number 3
Parish_Chapel Staunton

However, the images on Ancestry show only one Edward SMITH/Anne WILLIAMS marriage on July 3rd 1763 at Staunton. The witnesses were Henry JORDAN and William TAYLOR and the banns were published on 29th May and 5th and 12th June 1763. The minister was Thos. HILL.

RSS Feed of thread