New Zealand Inn, Newnham (General)

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 17:23 (2755 days ago)

I've just learned the value of repeating an internet search that previously yielded little of any use.

My 2x great-grandfather, George Godwin Bowdler, was briefly the landlord of the New Zealand Inn, located on the road from Newnham up to Littledean (he is listed there in the 1911 Census). Imagine my delight when Google kindly pointed me to an article from the 'Forest Review' newspaper website dated 7 September 2016 showing not only a photo of the said pub but also a potted history mentioning my ancestor. (Sorry, I've tried to link a web address but technology has failed me on this occasion!)

If anyone knows of Andrew Bluett from Gloucester (the author of the article) or Roy Close (who is credited as having provided the photo in a separate feature on 17 August) could you ask them to get in touch? I would very much like to obtain a good quality copy of the photo, along with any other related information. I've already got copies of newspaper articles relating to the transfer of the pub licence from Andrew Bluett's ancestor to mine in 1910, and from mine to someone by the name of Terwyn Mitchell in 1912.

Many thanks, Janey

New Zealand Inn, Newnham

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 18:20 (2755 days ago) @ JaneyH

The Forest of Dean and Wye Valley Review is published weekly and a digital version is available on the internet. This link should take you to the current issue: Dean Forest Review (For this link to work you need to open it in a new tab/page)
On the left hand side you will see a link to Archive and this will take you to previous publications.
One of our subscribers is an Andrew Bluett and he is “email address contactable” so we suggest you contact him through this site. To do so - login, click on Users and search for ‘Bluett” (there is only one entry) and click on the envelope icon.
Roy Close is a regular contributor of photographs to the Review and we suggest you contact him via the newspaper.
Finally there is a website devoted to Gloucestershire Pubs. Go to: Gloucestershire Pubs

New Zealand Inn, Newnham

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 19:46 (2755 days ago) @ JaneyH

Lloyds George Survey of Land Values Gloucestershire

http://www.glos1909survey.org.uk/

Search

Search by Address: New Zealand Inn

GA/D2428/1/68 - Hereditament Number 273

Place: Newnham

Income tax parish: Littledean

Person(s) served with valuation: owners

Occupied by:

BLUETT, Sarah Ann

Owned by

BLUETT, Sarah Ann (F)

Type of Property: Business

Owner Occupied

PROPERTY

Description

Address: New Zealand Inn, near The Grange

POOR RATE

Number 30
Gross Value £18
Rateable Value: £16

DESCRIPTION: Orchard

Address: near The Grange

POOR RATE

Number 31
Gross Value: £1
Rateable Value : £1

COMMENTS

Occupier changed to JOSEPH BOWLDER, LLOYD F MORGAN, The Grange, added to owner.

-

Burial at Newnham: 3 November 1917

Sarah Ann BLUETT aged 77 High Street, Newnham.

----

Noticed in your previous thread re the Will of William CRAWSHAY who died in 1910. You can find the properties he owned - on the Lloyd George Land Survey

New Zealand Inn, Newnham

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 20:11 (2755 days ago) @ JaneyH

Thanks for that one. I think that the Joseph Bowdler would be George Godwin's younger brother. I have various other records which refer to them together, including being gamekeepers on the Crawshay estate and apprehending poachers!

New Zealand Inn, Newnham

by Andrew Bluett @, Saturday, October 29, 2016, 02:16 (2729 days ago) @ JaneyH

Hi Janey,

This is Andrew Bluett, I've just seen your post ref. the New Zealand Inn; let me know what you need to know, and I'll be happy to help...

Kind regards,

Andrew B

RSS Feed of thread