Rees family, Parkend (General)

by gsdunn @, Monday, December 12, 2016, 21:52 (2682 days ago)

I am looking for old photographs relating to the family of William Henry & Rosa (nee Browning) Rees who lived in Parkend from the 1860s through to early 1900s. They had 12 children, 2 sons and 10 daughters. Please get in touch if you can help - thank you!

Rees family, Parkend

by dsteel @, Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 03:55 (2527 days ago) @ gsdunn

The mother of this William Henry REES would have a few stories to tell. She was Hannah STEEL and when she was aged 20, her father and my great great great grandfather, Thomas STEEL, was in trouble with the authorities. In 1826, at Gloucester quarter sessions, he was accused of stealing timber from the forest (the vicar of Newland called it a "stick"), was found guilty and sentenced to seven years transportation. He was taken to the prison hulk "Justitia" and there he stayed until after much correspondence and many petitions he was finally pardoned in 1832.

Rees family, Parkend

by angela3939 @, UK, Thursday, June 22, 2017, 16:26 (2490 days ago) @ dsteel

How extraordinary! I am making a valiant effort to tidy up my family research - it was just a chaotic mess - when I cam across an email from you way back in 2003. I do hope I passed this on to Glenn (hope he will let me know if I didn't). Hannah Steel Rees seems to have had a terrible time when she first married - losing babies and her father sent to a hulk in Woolwich.

Good to see you are still taking an interest in the research of the Steel family, David.

RSS Feed of thread