Knavingcots (General)

by B17Fan, Wednesday, December 21, 2016, 18:48 (2655 days ago)

I'm trying to find information about Knavingcots for my brother in laws grandparents. I've got quite a bit of info about it, but just wondered if anyone had some old photos of it or anything else about it. All of this is for a christmas present, so if anyone can help asap, that would be brilliant. thankyou

Knavingcots

by ChrisW @, Wednesday, December 21, 2016, 21:49 (2654 days ago) @ B17Fan

Hi B17Fan

This is a link to your post on Rootschat regarding the above subject. It MAY only work for someone who is registered with RC? Would someone please give it a whirl?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760905.0

This is to save people researching and repeating what has already been found for you.

Regards
ChrisW

Knavingcots Farm, Westbury on Severn. (COLEY or DOWDING ?)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 21, 2016, 23:53 (2654 days ago) @ ChrisW

Hi Chris, I can confirm the link works fine and goes straight to a thread abt Knavingcotes (sp) Farm at Westbury on Severn, includes a few PRs from this site, (which I suspect is how B17Fan found this forum site), and also some links to old OS maps which also work fine.
I'm pretty sure the Rootsweb forum can be viewed ok without being signed-on to the site; I don't think I've ever registered with them, or posted on their forums etc.

B17Fan, please can you confirm what names and eras from the Rootsweb findings are of specific interest to you ?. With some help from you it's possible (given the very short notice) that we can give you more info, but as Chris says we do need your help.

-------

Regarding photos, a common query yet so often difficult to provide, I'm struggling to get the Knavingcotts name recognised online at all. It's possible the various FoD area photo books do include this farm, but none of those in my collection have good indexes so not easy to use.

-------

Sadly my latest BNA subscription expired earlier today, but I see there are a few mentions for "Knavingcote" in the old local newspapers, hopefully this link will work & others can see the hits. Apologies for the nonsensical wording, will need a paid subscription to see the actual articles properly and in full, perhaps if B17Fan thinks they're relvant then maybe a subscriber can please access them in full ?

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=knavingcote

eg

"Mr. Henry Dowding. of Knavingcots, Westbury-cn-Severn, left estate of the gross value of £1.874 se. 7d.. with net personalty £1,714 17s. Id. ...

Saturday 02 February 1918, Gloucester Journal, Gloucestershire"

This FoD site's database has his Burial Record,

Record_ID: 286006
Entry_Number: 290
Year: 1917
Month: Apr
Day: 26
Surname: DOWDING
Forenames: Henry
Residence: Knaring Cots Westbury on Severn
Age_at_death: 71 years
Officiating_Minister: Nonconformist funeral
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P354 IN 1/2
Page_No: 37
Parish_Chapel: Westbury on Severn
Soundex: D352

His wife;

Record_ID: 286135
Entry_Number: 420
Year: 1923
Month: Oct
Day: 9
Surname: DOWDING
Forenames: Emily Anne
Residence: Knaving Cotts Westbury
Age_at_death: 77 years
Officiating_Minister: Henry Sillman Dowding naming charge of burial
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P354 IN 1/2
Page_No: 53
Soundex: D352

Here they are in 1911, earlier Census' show them at the same address;

1911 Census, Cowles Farm, Elton, Newnham, Glos.

Name Relation to Head Birth Date Age Gender Marital Status Years Married Occupation Birth Place Address
Henry Dowding Head 1846 65 Male Married 35 years, 7 children still alive. Farmer Blaisdon, Gloucestershire
Emily A Dowding Wife 1847 64 Female Married 35 yrs Farmer Stroud, Gloucestershire C
Robert N Dowding Son 1885 26 Male Single Assistant Farmer Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Ruth E Dowding Daughter 1886 25 Female Single Governess Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Ethel E Dowding Daughter 1888 23 Female Single Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Hubert Glover Servant 1878 33 Male Single Farm Assistant Malborough, Wiltshire
Laura Goode Servant 1897 14 Female Single Domestic servant Cinderford, Gloucestershire

According to the Census they were Married in abt 1876. The only record I can find anywhere is this rather odd one from GlosBMD, I've never seen such a brief "Record" before !??

Marriage Details
Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename Register Entry
DOWDING Henry GILLMAN Emily Ann RR/19 135

--------

Back to the BNA findings;

REMARKABLE RUN OF SUCCESSES 16 PAGES. Mr. E. S. Colev, of Knavingcots, Westburv-on-Severn, who took three first and three second prizes in the rabbit classes at •lie (1 101 l fester and District Fanciers Show Gloucester recently, lias had a remarkable ...

Friday 12 December 1930, Gloucester Citizen"

"WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN HORSE SHOW
... prize for the best either sex in open classes), the same owner also leading for Leghorn, hen or pullet. Mr. E. S. Coley, Knavingcote, Westbury, got special with his White Wyandotte for the best female bird in the open classes. . Other first prizes in the ...

Saturday 06 August 1927, Gloucester Journal, Gloucestershire"

Ancestry's Electoral Registers shows that Ernest Stanley Coley was at "Knavingcots" from 1925 thro to 1928.

Here's his Wedding PR, from this FoD site's database;

Record_ID: 31037
Entry_Number: 364
Year: 1922
Month: Sep
Day: 27
Grooms_Surname: COLEY
Grooms_Forenames: Ernest Stanley
Grooms_Age: 28
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Retired Lieutenant
Grooms_Residence: Westbury on Severn
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Coley
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Edward
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Cooper Smith
Brides_Surname: HAGUE
Brides_Forenames: Ethel Mary
Brides_Age: 25
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Wincoll's Farm Elton
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Hague
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Joseph
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Farmer
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Francis Edward Teague
Witness_2: Joseph Hague
Other_Witnesses: Kathleen Mary Hague
Officiating_Minister: Arthur Kelly Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P354 IN 1/19
Page_Number: 182
Soundex_Groom: C400
Soundex_Bride: H200

I include this also because his wife's name and photo appeared when I searched "Knavingcots" on the Ancestry site. This entry is part of an extensive public tree which has photos of both Ethel and Ernest, their son Kenneth, and many more.
I think these links allows others to view the tree etc without being Ancestry subscribers, hopefully they mean something to B17Fan ?
http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/14586596/person/141014807/facts
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/14586596/family?cfpid=141014807

So B17Fan, here's some starters, but as said we really need more help from you, please, to clarify who,when,whatever you're hoping to find out.
Thanks.

RSS Feed of thread