John Griffiths & Eliz. Miles Mitcheldean (General)

by charwinds @, Friday, December 23, 2016, 20:44 (2678 days ago)

Looking for some help on my Griffiths Line

John Griffiths Mar. Eliz. Miles in 1732 St. Michaels ,Glos,she was from Ross on Wye and he from Great Dean (cannot find this place)
They had family in Ross on Wye, Ester in 1733 who mar, William Bower
Henry 1738 " ?
William 1743 " Marg. Mayoe
Thomas 1744 " Mary Harrison 2nd Ann Hone
Elizabeth 1744 " Evans
Then they show up in Mitcheldean and two more children,
George in 1748 who mar. Sarah Brayne
Mary 1748 " ? Williams
I,m wondering are they all from the same family or two different John,s?

John died in Ruardean in 1804 age 84, born in 1720, which if married in 1732 would give him
12 at marriage, so must be another John.

Found a John born 1706 in Ledbury Parents Rees & Francis
" 1708 " " John & Mary
" 1716 Ross on Wye " Thomas & Eliz.
The latter is more likely giving him 16 at marriage his wife Eliz. Was born 1711, also could be a John from another shire.

My line is Hannah Griffiths, dau. of George Griffiths & Sarah Brayne, who mar. Samuel Fryer, son of Thomas Fryer & Ester Bower, her mother was Ester Griffiths, So would like to know when John was born and who were his parents. Looks like Hannah Griffiths and Samuel were 2nd cousins, his grandmother was Ester Griffiths, who was a brother to Hannah,s father George,if
indeed they are all from the same family.
Also found an entry for a John Griffiths bap. 1737 grandson of widow Miller (midwife), I wonder if it should be Miles.

Many Thanks & A Merry Xmas to All. Charles

John Griffiths & Eliz. Miles Mitcheldean

by shepway @, Friday, December 23, 2016, 21:05 (2678 days ago) @ charwinds

Just to answer your query regarding Great Dean. This is probably Dene Magna better known as Mitcheldean.

Mike

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 09:02 (2677 days ago) @ charwinds

Once of the best pieces of advice given to me whilst researching my husband's Griffiths line from Cirencester 16/17th century - (spelt in so many different ways) and lots of John's (even two of my Grandson's are called John/James) - was to form family groups and check for any clues in family names/Wills and occupations which go on through generations in our case Coopers.

Quickly checking the Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations and Marriage Bonds on this site - for Griffiths

1 January 1743

William GRIFFITTS - Yeoman : residence: Mitchel Dean

Penelope BOSSOM -

by bond
he signs

Witness 1: Richard TAYLER a Tobacconist of the City of Gloucester
Marriage Bond

Memoranda: The groom and Richard TAYLER are bound in the sum of £500. To marry at Mitchel Dean

and

26 July 1750

William BOWER aged 21, Yeoman of Abenhall

Ester GRIFFITH - singlewoman of Mitcheldean

etc etc

I was once told....

The Welsh were banned from England by the Black Prince, as being military dangerous, but could be found anywhere by the time of the Tudors.

----

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608

Mitcheldean

John GRIFFYTH, Cutler A40 (age 40) lower stature

Up until the 1929 Marriage Act: Females could marry aged 12 and Males aged 14 years.

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 09:58 (2677 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Checking on National Archives

A2a

Held at Gloucestershire Archives

Gloucester Diocesan Records: Consistory Court, Court Papers, Mitcheldean. **Amy MATTHEWS v Harry GRIFFITHS: defamation

*** who appears to be buried at Mitcheldean 12 July 1772

---

and

Lease of a messuage, garden grouns and appurtenances situated in Midland Street, Mitcheldean

Mitcheldean: Anglican Parish. Churchwardens and PCC. Church property, (Samuel JAMES, labourer, Thomas GRIFFITHS, quarryman: both of Mitcheldean.

So we have an occupation of a Griffiths being a quarryman

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 10:06 (2677 days ago) @ charwinds

On Ancestry there is the will of a Thomas GRIFFITHS of the Town of Mitcheldean in the County of Gloucester, Quarryman, dated December 31st 1802, which looks to be relevant to your post.

In it he mentions his wife, Ann GRIFFITHS, nephew, Thomas GRIFFITHS, sister, Betty EVANS, niece, Ester FRYER, brothers Henry, William and George GRIFFITHS and the four children of his late sister, Mary WILLIAMS. He also mentions friends Joseph HUGHES, Thomas BENNETT and Richard PREECE.

He makes provision for a headstone for himself "as I have put up for my late wife" (Mary HARRISON?).

Other parts of the will make it clear he was the owner of stone quarries.

One of the executors was duly sworn on May 10th 1806.

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 12:34 (2677 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

From the Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations etc on this website (use the Soundex) click to View Details etc.

Residence: Mitchel Dean or Mitcheldean

GRIFFITTS William - Mitchel Dean : 1743
GRIFFITHS William - Mitchel Dean : 1767

GRIFFITHS Thomas (Widower) aged 30 - to Anne HONE aged 30 Mitcheldean : 1789 (relates to previous reply)

GRIFFITTS William - Mitchel Dean - 1743

GRIFFITS William - Mitcheldean - 1767

GRIFFITH Esther - Mitcheldean - 1750

GRIFFITTS Elizabeth aged 25 - Mitcheldean - 1770 - married Joseph EVANS aged 22 - 3 November 1770 (mentioned: Henry GRIFFITTS - Nailer, Mitcheldean) - again mentioned in Thomas' Will as Betty EVANS

GRIFFITH Ann - Mitcheldean - 1807

GRIFFITTS Elizabeth - Mitchel Dean - 1770

GRIFFITHS Ann - Mitcheldean - 1807

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 17:08 (2677 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

From this site there is also this possibility for John GRIFFITHS,

Record_ID 171724
Entry_Number
Year 1707
Month Sep
Day 17
Parents_Surname GRIFFITS
Child_Forenames John
Fathers_Forenames William
Mothers_Forenames Jane
Mothers_Surname
Residence
Occupation Cooper
Officiating_Minister Richard Hall Rector
Event Baptism
Memoranda Churchwardens: Thomas Platt; Thomas Howse
Notes
Register_Reference P220 IN 1/1
Page_Number 40
Parish_Chapel Mitcheldean

Ancestry has the record too but gives alternative names of John GRIFFITHS or John COOPER. After looking at the image of the PR I can see why the transcriber might have had doubt since the father's name is given as William Griffiths COOPER. However, the records at the time do on rare occasions give an occupation so I think John GRIFFITHS is the best interpretation.

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 17:39 (2677 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

? Interesting William's occupation was a Cooper : same as my husband's lineage from Cirencester, in our case back to Rich GRIFFITH christened in Cirencester 12 April 1665 - son of William.

Thomas GRIFFIN - our line in Cirencester 1791 - he was a Cooper. GRIFFITHS still employed as Cooper's up to first part of 20th century then Carpenters.

----

?

Marriage at Longhope

1 January 1685

William GRIFFITH
Jane PARSONS

children christened at Mitcheldean

1687 GRIFFITT - Mary (parents: William & Jane)
1690 GRIFFITHS - Jane
1694 GRIFFITH - Jonathan
1697 GRIFFITH - Elizabeth
1700 GRIFFITH - Mary (parents William & Jane - Pinmaker
1707 GRIFFITS - John (parents William & Jane - Cooper)
1712 GRIFFITS - Ann
1717 GRIFFET - Mary

Burial at Mitcheldean:

20 February 1733

Jane GRIFFITS

Notes: Wife of W{illa}m GRIFFITHS

by charwinds @, Tuesday, December 27, 2016, 18:59 (2674 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

To MP Griffiths,Mike Pinchin & Shepway, Many thanks for all your info,Looks like the birth of John 1707 with parents William & Jane fits.Have found a burial for Thomas (quarryman) Mitcheldean in 1805 son of John & Eliz. Buried in same plot are John 17?? age 41 and his wife Eliz.1760 age 60, so I think they are his parents.

Still not convinced that the two families one from Ross and other from Mitcheldean are one and the same. I had my ancestor George Griffiths whose parents are also John & Eliz Clarke, married in 1744 in St. Peters Glouc. she was 21 from Redmarley and according to John,s burial of 1804 age 84, he was 20 years old but his parents spelled their name as Griffits. Looks like they had different spellings for Griffiths.

Perhaps a tree on Ancestry will turn up some day.

Many thanks again, and Happy New Year

Charles

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, December 27, 2016, 20:00 (2674 days ago) @ charwinds

I think this may be the burial of John GRIFFITHS (Bap. 1707), so no more children after 1748,

Record_ID 113773
Entry_Number
Year 1751
Month Nov
Day 13
Surname GRIFFITH
Forenames John
Residence
Age_at_death
Officiating_Minister Rich[ar]d Roberts Rector
Event Burial
Cause_of_death
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P220 IN 1/1
Page_No 94

This fits with the possible re-marriage of his widow, [BARNARD, BARNETT and BARNOTE seem to be interchangeable!],

Record_ID 36809
Entry_Number 5
Year 1756
Month Dec
Day 29
Grooms_Surname BARNARD
Grooms_Forenames Jonathan
Grooms_Age
Groom_Condition [not stated]
Grooms_Occupation
Grooms_Residence of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation
Brides_Surname GRIFFITHS
Brides_Forenames Elizabeth
Brides_Age
Brides_Condition Widow
Brides_Occupation
Brides_Residence of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname
Brides_Fathers_Forenames
Brides_Fathers_Occupation
Licence_or_Banns Banns
Date_of_Banns May & June
Signature_or_Mark Both mark
Witness_1 John Williams
Witness_2 John Hayward
Other_Witnesses
Officiating_Minister John Edwards Curate
Event Marriage
Memoranda Banns published by Rev M Cradock then Curate
Notes Surname BARNETT entered in and Bride's Condition taken from BTs
Register_Reference P220 IN 1/5
Page_Number 2

There don’t seem to be any children of this marriage. Elizabeth would have been 44 if it’s the right person.

Elizabeth’s burial?

Record_ID 84025
Entry_Number
Year 1764
Month Aug
Day 19
Surname BARNETT
Forenames Elizabeth
Residence
Age_at_death
Officiating_Minister Richard Roberts Rector
Event Burial