Season's Greetings (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 07:55 (2680 days ago)

[image]

To all our subscribers and supporters wherever you are in this world we extend our very best wishes for Christmas and New Year.
Pauline, May, Graham, David D, David M, Wendy and Michael

Season's Greetings

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 17:12 (2680 days ago) @ admin

Very best wishes to you too, and to all users of this forum.

Dennis Oswald Jones

by JC1947, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 11:16 (2619 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Hi,
I am with the Newent History Society researching some of those who died in the both World Wars. While I realise you were not related to Dennis Oswald Jones, I thought you might have gained some knowledge of his POW experience through your late mother, Mrs Lily Pinchin.
I know this is a long shot but nevertheless worth sending a message.
Kind regards,
Joyce Carter

Dennis Oswald Jones

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 22:37 (2618 days ago) @ JC1947

Hello Joyce,

Dennis Oswald Jones, as I expect you are aware, was my mother's second husband. He died in the far east during WWII. I have very little information about him since, although my mother did on rare occasions mention him, she never spoke about his experiences during the war. Indeed, she may not have known much about what he went through. I think I still have a photograph of him and also a drawing of him made by one of his comrades-in-arms. I also have details of his resting place in Burma. If any of this material is of interest I will try to unearth it although it may take a little while.

Best regards,
Mike

Dennis Oswald Jones

by JC1947, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 10:06 (2617 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Hello Mike

Yes, I did realise that Dennis Oswald Jones was your mother's second husband and it was really optimism on my part that I might find out anything more about him than I have learnt already.
I know which War Cemetery he was buried in and do have a photograph of him from the local paper of the time. I just wondered if your mother might have said whether or not he worked on the Burma- Siam railway during the 15 months he was a POW?
I certainly would appreciate a copy of the sketch you refer to, or any other information you might be able to provide.
I remember your mother very well and often saw her outside the house in Culver Street
Kind regards,
Joyce Carter.

Sent from my iPad

Dennis Oswald Jones

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:22 (2616 days ago) @ JC1947

Hello Joyce,

I’m afraid my mother revealed nothing about Dennis’s suffering as a POW. However, this link (kindly supplied by Jefff) suggests that he did die on the Burma-Thailand railway.

http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/Thailand-Burma_Railway/J/html/jo_database_77.htm

Dennis Oswald Jones

by JC1947, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 20:37 (2616 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you Mike that is most helpful. Should you find the sketch at some point I would still appreciate a copy.
Are you a Family History researcher for the site as your name comes up frequently as I scan through it looking for other names on my list which I have to research?
Kind regards,
Joyce

Dennis Oswald Jones

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 12:24 (2616 days ago) @ JC1947

Hi Joyce,

I'm not part of the site Admin - just one of the users who enjoy the research for its own sake. Anyone interested in FH and born in or near the Forest is very fortunate because they have this excellent site as a resource.

Regards
Mike

Denis Oswald Jones

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, August 20, 2017, 15:12 (2441 days ago) @ JC1947

Hello Joyce,

I have at last located the drawing of Denis Oswald Jones and digitised it. If you would still like a copy please supply me with a suitable email address to send it to. You can do this via the blue envelope next to my User Name – in accordance with site policy it’s likely to be removed if it goes in a public post.

Regards
Mike

Season's Greetings

by hawdon @, Alcossebre Spain, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 21:41 (2679 days ago) @ admin

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and thank you for all your effort and support in 2016.

Dave Hawdon

Season's Greetings

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 23:13 (2679 days ago) @ admin

Thanks for your kind wishes, and thanks again for this great website !
Wishing You and Yours and all forum users a very Happy Christmas and Healthy New Year.
Jeff Jones

RSS Feed of thread