Robert George (Joe) Meek b. 1929 (General)

by Mariondavy, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 14:33 (2645 days ago)

Please does anyone know who 'Joe' Meek's (the musician and producer) great grandparents were? I know that his father was George Leonard (b.1897, married Evelyn Birt), and his grandfather was Leonard Charles (b.1857, married Lydia Powell). Who were his great grandfather and great grandmother? Confusion arises because there were so many 'Josephs' born around 1800.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.[/b]

Robert George (Joe) Meek b. 1929

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 14:43 (2645 days ago) @ Mariondavy

If you Google:

Leonard Charles Meek Lydia Powell

Our old friend from this Forum 'Slowhands' on the 27 December 2005 - on Eng=Glos Forest of Dean Archives went through this whole family.

Link in next reply

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 14:48 (2645 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

This brings you to the Archives page - go down to December 2005

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/ENG-GLOS-FOREST-DEAN/2005

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 18:43 (2645 days ago) @ Mariondavy

Probably covered by the links MPG's supplied, but here's some prior threads about the great Joe Meek of RGM fame. As a lifelong fan of 50s/early 60s pop music, especially British, I was discussing the great man only a few days ago with my son, saying how pleased I was to discover Joe was a Forester even if that was years after first buying some of the fantastic records he created, esp "Telstar". Joe was another one of the London-based record producers who turned-down the chance to become rich with the early Beatles, not to mention David Bowie, Rod Stewart and Tom Jones !

http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=19427
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=1837

by Brian Meek @, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 20:47 (2620 days ago) @ Mariondavy

Hi, just picked up on this. If its any help I was a second cousin to Joe, and I have his family tree if its of use.
Brian Meek

by Mariondavy, Friday, January 27, 2017, 17:11 (2618 days ago) @ Brian Meek

Hi, Brian.  Many thanks for you email posted on the forum.  I would be delighted to receive a copy of your family tree. I have completed mine back to about 1660, but am still fascinated (though often frustrated!!) tracing other branches.
I have traced Joe (Telstar) Meek back to his great grandfather, born in 1814, but can get no further. I thought that we had the same great-great-grandfather (Joseph, born 1742), but I now know this is wrong - so, who is Joe's great-great grandfather?  - born, I guess, in Aston Ingham area (4th. son of another Joseph!!!).
I was born in Ruardean, and my father was Maurice Martin Meek, killed in a mining accident at Northern United Colliery in 1942. If you wish, you may use our email address - xxxxxxxxxxx
With thanks once again.  Betty Marion Turner (nee Meek).

Email address removed from posting. Please see Posting Guidelines.
We suggest you make yourself email contactable - see your profile.
Admin

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, January 27, 2017, 17:51 (2618 days ago) @ Mariondavy

Hi, Brian. 
I was born in Ruardean, and my father was Maurice Martin Meek, killed in a mining accident at Northern United Colliery in 1942. If you wish, you may use our email address - david.turner2@btinternet.com 
With thanks once again.  Betty Marion Turner (nee Meek).

Hi Betty,
I recommend you remove your email address from your post. In fact I suggest you don't post your complete email address on any public websites or forums, such as this one, as criminals use automated machines to scan the internet to find such info, which they will then target with spam emails etc. Some years ago my pc Hard-drive suffered permanent damage as a result of spam email, despite my pc having good security systems in place, so please don't risk it. If anyone wants to send private emails offline they can do so by clicking on the blue envelope icon, see http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/help-faq#faq8
This process will eventually provide each-others private email addresses.

I wonder if we are distantly related ?. My father was a Jones from Joys Green, Lydbrook. His sister Iris Jones married Maynard Seymour Meek in 1949, I think his youngest son David still lives in Ruardean. I haven't traced much of this tree, sadly, and altho I always associate "my" Meeks with Ruardean, Maynard's Grandfather George Meek originated from Tamworth in Staffs but was in Ruardean by the 1881 Census. Does any of this sound familiar to you, I wonder ?.

atb Jeff

by Brian Meek @, Saturday, January 28, 2017, 18:07 (2617 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Hope you got my email to your address, Brian Meek

by Mariondavy, Saturday, February 04, 2017, 13:59 (2610 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff,
I have no doubt that we shall find that we are distantly related, but there are so many Meeks in the Forest of Dean, that, unless you would like to send me more info. about your family tree, I’m afraid I cannot be of much help. I traced my own family tree from 1660 to my father in 1901 and discovered that they had a long tradition of mining, but never seemed to move far from the Drybrook area. I wonder if (long arm of coincidence) one of them may have sought work in Tamworth, returning to the Forest later. I did a short detour into another branch, and found that , in the 1841 census John Meek (age 37) had a son George (age 6months) and was working as a farm labourer in the Lea Bailey area. The1881 census would make George about 40 . (pure conjecture but maybe worth a try) The Meek tree is really frustrating …..too many branches & too many Josephs.
In answer to your second query……..we shall be in the Forest for a few days next week and visiting Ruardean so I will make enquiries about David Meek. Was his father Maynard , in the army during WW2 ?
Good hunting!!

by Mariondavy, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 18:11 (2595 days ago) @ Mariondavy

Hi Brian,
Thank you for the information re: the Meek family tree which you posted on the Forum recently, including a potted version of the family tree of Joseph Meek 1782 & Hannah Cooke. I have researched my family tree back to 1660. And having spent several hours trawling through The Diocesan archives in Glo’ster I believe the result to be fairly accurate. For interest, if you wish…..John Meek 1660 m. Elinor. Son John 1682 m.Clare. known children…… 1.John 1707 m Elizabeth. Son JOSEPH 1749 m.Ann Harris………..2 .James 1711 m.???? Son JOSEPH 1750 …….3.Francis 1717 m.Rachel .son JOSEPH 1746……….4.William 1721 m.Alice. Son JOSEPH 1747
Having established that Joseph ( 1749 ) was my g.g.g.grandfather it was relatively easy to follow the line through to my father (1902 )…….from the time of g.g,grand father (1782), who married Hannah Cooke, most were miners in the Drybrook/Harrow Hill region. I was somewhat confused to find that another Joseph had married Hannah Baldwin at about the same time!! But further research showed that this line were all agricultural workers in the Lea Bailey/Aston Ingham region. Thanks to your in-put, I now know who Jo’s g.g.grandfather was!! Out of curiosity, we once went to Newent and saw a plaque to his memory in the town, and also his grave in the cemetery.
Genealogy fascinates me , and from my own family tree I have discovered several other intriguing branches going as far back as Joseph & Hannah. However, tracing my relationship to the families of dad’s 11 brothers and sisters, I found that dad’s brother, Harry, in the 1920’s married Rose Brain. Census 1901 shows that her parents were Martin (40 ) & Emma Brain (42) ………Census 1861 gives Emma (3) daughter of Moses & Ann Meek……….Census 1841 gives Moses (11) son of John Meek (37) an agri. labourer from Aston Ingham area!!!! What a surprise! I think that John must be part of your “tree” Is it worth trying to trace him ?
Now to general “chat “. I also went to E.D.G.S. as did my brothers, Geof, who died last year, and Tony ,now 76. Sheila Birt was a few years my senior. Is she a relative of yours???
Thank you for all your informative and interesting info. I am thinking of giving up on genealogy as I find it too frustrating and time-consuming….but it is a very tempting hobby, so who Knows?
Yours Sincerely , Betty Turner, nee, Meek.

by cmfenton @, Ferndown, Dorset, Monday, January 30, 2017, 18:56 (2615 days ago) @ Mariondavy

Always looking for an opportunity to extend my Meek info and the site has been quiet on this surname for a while now.
Slowhands links show "Joe's" g-grandparents as Joseph and Sarah which in my tree are Joseph Meek 1805 and Sarah Wall 1816, married 27Dec1840, though I am always happy to be corrected if in error on any of this.
By my reckoning (or my genealogy database's calculations) this makes us 6th cousins - a long way back for a common ancestor!
I don't have Jeff's Maynard Seymour Meek anywhere though.

-Colin

RSS Feed of thread