Problems Using the GlosBMD website (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 17:41 (2640 days ago)

I'm sure some of you have noticed the normally excellent GlosBMD site has been behaving rather oddly these last few months. http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx

Although apparently working correctly, I found it gave me Records which were devoid of dates, so making them rather tricky to work with even alongside the FreeBMD site. At first I suspected it was my ancient pc that was at fault, but it seems that it's definitely the website, altho if anyone else can advise otherwise I'd be pleased to hear. As it's been a month or more since I first noticed this problem, I emailed Gloucester Archives on the belief it came under their jurisdiction. I'm pleased to say I received an immediate reply, as follows

Dear Mr Jones
I can confirm that the index will be reinstated but we haven’t been given a date for when this will happen.
I’m sorry I can’t be more definite but I hope this information is useful.
Yours sincerely, xxxxxx, Archives Assistant, Gloucestershire Archives.

I replied to thank them and ask that all possible pressure be applied to correct this fault on their excellent site, and expressed my hope that it wasn't due to cost-cutting. In the mean time and despite the website homepage stating it was last updated "Jan 2017", as far as I can tell the site is still faulty.

Apologies on their behalf for anyone else who's been affected.

Problems Using the GlosBMD website

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 17:54 (2585 days ago) @ Jefff

Further to the above, I have just found this announcement on the Glos Family History Society website. I'm disappointed to read that what had been a very useful FHS resource is not faulty but has been deliberately changed, and rather than being a very useful research tool it now appears to be a device to help us purchase BMD certificates...
I fully understand and appreciate the need for Data Protection, but feel this response is somewhat over-the-top. I also fail to see what sensitive Data was available on the "old" GlosBMD site that isn't already still available on the various Subscription Research sites. I do hope I'm wrong and even being unfair, I do hope the changes are temporary, but that's the situation as this individual reads it.

Posted on 3rd January 2017 by DAH

Please Note their appears to be a problem with full information being displayed.

Response from Gloucestershire Registration Office:

“The changes to the BMD site were made in order to bring us into line with GRO search criteria. Prior to this we have been potentially contravening Data Protection regulations by allowing searches to provide too much information. By continuing to allow this, we could have been liable for a hefty fine by the Information Commissioner. The amended search will provide enough information for certificates to be identified and ordered although I appreciate that this is a change to what people have been used to seeing and that it has concerned some users. I have therefore gone back to GRO to confirm exactly what they will allow and when we have a response I will let you know.

The registration service falls under the Home Office and their key priority is Public Protection and Counter Fraud. Copy certificates is one of the main areas of concern when it comes to creating false identities and so ensuring that the data that is available is proportionate has to be paramount. GRO had been in touch with us in the past as they had identified that our search facility was allowing too much data to be seen. ”

As soon as we have more information we will inform our users.

Please avoid t/p the centre as we can do no more at this stage.

ref http://gfhs.org.uk/gloucestershire-bmd-wesite/

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:41 (2585 days ago) @ Jefff

"it now appears to be a device to help us purchase BMD certificates... "

And for anyone who isn't aware, it's cheaper to get certificates direct from the GRO.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 19:54 (2585 days ago) @ Jefff

I’m not quite sure what the changes do to enhance Data Protection. It’s still possible for the determined fraudster to find most of the hidden information by narrowing down the search period and ringing the changes on the Districts and Offices. It might take more time but it can still be found.

by shepway @, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 20:06 (2585 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Search facilities are now available on the GRO website for Births up to 1916 and Deaths up to 1957. In the case of Births it is now possible to establish the maiden name of the mother on Births prior to 1912 and in the case of Deaths establish age at date of death where this is not available in the Index. It is also possible to find names of children where maiden name of mother is known but one can only search a spread of 4 years at a time. So far I have found response time quick and when ordering a PDF rather than a certificate not only is the cost less but the response time is good.
Mike

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 00:58 (2585 days ago) @ shepway

Search facilities are now available on the GRO website for Births up to 1916 and Deaths up to 1957. In the case of Births it is now possible to establish the maiden name of the mother on Births prior to 1912 and in the case of Deaths establish age at date of death where this is not available in the Index. It is also possible to find names of children where maiden name of mother is known but one can only search a spread of 4 years at a time. So far I have found response time quick and when ordering a PDF rather than a certificate not only is the cost less but the response time is good.
Mike

Thanks Mike, didn't know this so very helpful indeed.
Cheers Jeff.

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 20:31 (2581 days ago) @ Jefff

I have just come out of the GlosBMD website without problems. I didn't know it existed until I saw your message. I am delighted. I have just found the birth entry for my great grandmother which includes her mother's maiden name, have not been sure for some years as to what my 2nd great grandmother's maiden name was. I have a large public member family tree that I keep on one of the commercial websites. I have made a note for other members to view that maiden names are available on the GlosBMD website and that searching the indexes is free.
Thank you.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 23:58 (2581 days ago) @ Gillymott

Hi Gillymott,
we're glad to hear you've found the current GlosBMD site useful. Sorry you wern't aware of it, it has been occasionally mentioned on the forum in the past. As you say it does helpfully still give maiden names for births prior to 1911, unlike FreeBMD in that respect, so if the two websites are used together then they can still be very helpful, especially if searching a relatively uncommon name (wrt GlosBMD as no dates given to ensure records found do relate to target name).

Just in case you're not aware, this prior thread discussed some other Free Access sites which may be helpful.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=35197

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 10:04 (2580 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you. We all have our own methods/preferences when it comes to family history research.
My preference is always for parish records rather than BMD registers, which only provide
basic information from 1837. I keep a yearly subscription to Ancestry.co.uk and rarely make use of any other website these days. They can afford and do have family history information including that of Gloucestershire which is not available anywhere else and access is simple. I am not interested in buying birth, marriage and death certificates from any site, it's too time consuming and unnecessary.

--
P F Willmott

by ChrisW @, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 17:22 (2580 days ago) @ Gillymott

Don't forget there is also the new GRO Index which also gives the MMN. You can also search Deaths which now gives the age on earlier records which formerly were not stated.

You have to register but it is free to use.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Regards
Chris

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 18:30 (2580 days ago) @ ChrisW

Cheers Chris,
thanks for this, and correcting my mistake. Prompted by this thread, and recent emails from WDYTYA, I have visited the GRO site in the last few days but came away thinking that I wouldn't get any info without paying for a pdf or certificate. Probably due to trying various FH websites in years past which offer "free searches", yet forget to mention you have to buy the results.
My mistake, I "must try harder" !
Thanks Jeff.

by ChrisW @, Sunday, April 02, 2017, 18:32 (2580 days ago) @ Jefff

It's all down to "Information Overload" Jeff!

Chris

RSS Feed of thread