MAILSCOT LODGE still standing? (General)

by Jane Henze, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 03:06 (2615 days ago)

Hello everyone! I hope you can help me. I have traced my family back to MAILSCOT LODGE in HILLERSLAND. Can anyone tell me if the building is still there or is it in ruins? I hope to make a trip there soon and would love to stand in front of the place where my great-grandmother, for whom I am named, lived.

Jane

MAILSCOT LODGE still standing?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 03:35 (2615 days ago) @ Jane Henze

Hi Jane,
welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I must be quick as it's very late here in the UK. Hopefully this link will work, if not just search "Mailscot" in the forum searchbox and should find this old thread which includes links to old and modern photos of the Lodge, plus it's exact location on maps etc. I don't know for certain but barring recent disaster I think the Lodge is still standing. http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=38060

This subject seems to be the preserve of Janes & Janets, have you posted on this subject before or are you a new, different, one ?. All are welcome of course. :-)

"Jevans" aka Janet who posted in the old thread will hopefully reply too, she was online earlier today.

Speak again tomorrow/later, atb Jeff.

by Jane Henze, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 15:43 (2615 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you, Jeff. I've looked at the map and the google earth map and now see where Mailscot Lodge is located. It does look like it is still there.
Janet Evans and I are two different people and we don't live near each other. We are planning a trip to the UK and so are both looking for our family history information. The Forest of Dean History website is fascinating to both of us and we appreciate what we've found there.

by mcowan @, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 15:08 (2615 days ago) @ Jane Henze

There is an old photo on www.sungreen.co.uk

by jevans @, USA, Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 17:53 (2613 days ago) @ mcowan

Hello!
Yes, Jeff, there are a lot of Jane's on this thread. The Jane on this thread Jane is my cousin, who is relatively new to "the hunt", and she is helping me research our gg grandmother Jane Smith, in preparation for our trip this fall.

I found out yesterday that Mailscot Lodge is indeed still standing. It is a farm and has been owned by a man for quite some time. We hope to visit with him when we go and will gladly share with this website any historical information we can glean.

As Jane said in her post, we are both very grateful for all the help and information we have found on this site. It has made all the difference for us.

-Janet

RSS Feed of thread