Flaxley Church (General)

by BFHS, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 18:20 (2514 days ago)

My BURGUM ancestors can be found in the Flaxley parish registers from 1724 until 1760 (spelt Bergum in the registers). However, Flaxley St Mary Church was not built until 1856. It is stated in the British History Online that there was initially a chapel, standing before the abbey gate in 1253, which was probably on a different site to the later parish church. It says a parish church was served by a curate from the late 1600th century and that by 1695 there was a church house next to Flaxley Abbey.

So is there information or a map of the location of the chapel and/or the church before St Marys was built in 1856. My Isaac Taylor map of 1777 does show a church in front of the Abbey, but is this one on or near the existing church? Flaxley Chapel (or church) was conducting burials at least a century before St Marys was built. So where is that churchyard? Is there any specific information about the church before 1856 and was it on the same site, or close by?

The BURGUM men were iron workers (forgemen) during the eighteenth century before moving to other locations in the Forest of Dean. Baden Watkins once gave me a tour of Flaxley Abbey and then arranged for someone to show me some of the remains of the furnace and forges not far from the house. I don't know where they lived in Flaxley, but was amazing to see where they worked!

Doug Burgum

Flaxley Church

by shepway @, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 23:31 (2514 days ago) @ BFHS

The Victoria County History is of some help with regards to the position of the church:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp138-150#h3-0005

Mike

Flaxley Church

by BFHS, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 00:13 (2514 days ago) @ shepway

Yeah, I did the Glos. History thing and it told me very little, It is vague on actual locations and says nothing about a shared burial place. Any other suggestions?

Flaxley Church

by dnelmes, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 15:52 (1464 days ago) @ BFHS

Hi Doug,
I am interested in this query, as I too have Nelme(s) ancestors buried in Flaxley Church going back to 1500/1600/1700's.
I thought there were 3 churches in Flaxley's history
1. The original on the gate to the Abbey
2. A chapel built in 1500's
3. Catherine Boevey wanted to build a new church, but died 1726 before it was built, but it was completed a couple of years after her death/burial.

There is a picture of the 'original chapel' as it appeared in 1712, I presume this was church number 2, and the current St.Mary's is church number 3??

Interestingly the Bigland transcripts record monumental inscriptions for Flaxley from about 1664 to 1770's (including a tablet/monument for Catherine Boevey). Perhaps the new church (number 3) was build on top of number 2, and they both have the same burial ground??

Interestingly, there is a head/flatstone for Thomas Burgum buried 25.11.1748.

One Arnold Wellington also has a head/flatstone 1763, and he married Sarah Nelmes of Flaxley.

Let me know your thoughts.
Daniel

Flaxley Church

by dnelmes, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 16:16 (1464 days ago) @ dnelmes

PS,
examining the literature and maps more thoroughly, I think the chapel/church in Flaxley has always largely been in the same area, despite 4x buildings, meaning the burial ground has probably always been where it is today (give or take).
Let me know if you visit the churchyard and find any old headstones.
Brilliant!
Daniel

Flaxley Church

by shepway @, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 21:11 (1464 days ago) @ dnelmes

The following web page gives a detailed account of the history of Flaxley and the Church:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp138-150

Mike

Flaxley Church

by rhianonturrell @, Sunday, April 26, 2020, 20:59 (1460 days ago) @ dnelmes

I somehow missed the original posts about Flaxley,but I am interested as some HUZZEYS were buried/married/baptised there in the 1600s. They too were iron workers and they too dispersed into the rest of the forest and beyond. The ones in Flaxley are not yet proven relatives of my Huzzey family but all mine in the area were ironworkers as well.
I also have an interest in BURGUMS as a John Burgum married Rolinda Huzzey (Hussey) a niece of my 4 X great grandfather.

Flaxley Church

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, April 27, 2020, 15:41 (1459 days ago) @ rhianonturrell

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608

which is on Coaley.net (available to view on line)

No record of this surname in Flaxley -

There is

Abenhall (Forest of Dean) - Thomas HUSE, Butcher

Buckland and Laverton (Worcs., in Buckland parish of Broadway - Will HUSE, son of Thomas HUSE, sclater. A20 - tallest stature

Forthampton (Tewkesbury) - William HUSE husbandman - A20 - Lower Stature

Minety (now Wilts) - Henry HUSE - butcher

---

Ancestry, Canterbury, Wills, does have a Henry HUSSEY (written double ff) - a Weaver of Lydney - 1674

RSS Feed of thread