WILLIAM ADAMS (General)

by jerigby @, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 18:07 (2512 days ago)

WILLIAM ADAMS

1861 census at Pillowell
Thomas Adams Labourer 37 Newland
Elizabeth Wife 30 West Dean
William Son 8 West Dean

Piece 3981 Folio 89 Page 28
I can’t find the whereabouts of William Adams born c 1852 in West Dean. I thought I had found the birth registration some time ago but on checking the new GRO registers which give the maiden name of the mother, I found it was the wrong one being LABAN. His mother Elizabeth was born Elizabeth Archer 1831 in Ruardean and didn’t marry who I supposed to be the father, Thomas Adams until 26 December 1859 at Parkend. To confuse matters Elizabeth had had two other sons before her marriage as follows:-

1848 Frederick Archer Morse (father Frederick Morse)
1 February 1853 Hiram Archer ( (father unknown)

If she had Thomas in 1852 it looks like she had yet another illegitimate child straight away. I know what happened to Frederick Archer Morse and Hiram Archer but William seems to have disappeared. I can’t find a death or find him in the censuses after 1861. Frederick Archer Morse was registered under the name of Frederick Morse Archer and he also married under this name. A very confusing family. Any help would be appreciated.

WILLIAM ADAMS

by shepway @, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 19:03 (2512 days ago) @ jerigby

Have you been able to locate Hiram in the 1861 Census? He is the only child with his parents in 1871 and given William's age would be the same could the 1861 Census entry contain incorrect information?

Mike

RSS Feed of thread