FoD DNA matches (General)

by aussie @, Tasmania, Australia, Thursday, June 22, 2017, 10:58 (2499 days ago)

Hi,
I've read through some of the posts and found the Origins Through DNA rather interesting. So far it seems that only Lawrence has shared his kit number and I don't have any matches with him.

I tested with Family Tree DNA because it's a cheek swab. I've heard that some saliva tests fail and have to be re-done due to lack of DNA in the sample.

I'm delighted with my Autosomal ethnicity results which came in about 10 days ago. Mostly GB, Scandinavia and Southeast Europe. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who has ancestors from the FoD who hasn't uploaded their raw data to Gedmatch? The choice is yours of course!

Please send me a private message if you want my kit number for FTDNA or Gedmatch. At this stage, none of my known paternal ancestors were from the FoD. My FoD ancestors are all on my maternal branch.

I'm delighted with the ongoing results of genetic genealogy. New matches are being added to my list on FTDNA every few days. Several replies have landed in my inbox and I now have more living cousins who are keen to research our common ancestors. I'd be delighted to find some new cousins from the FoD through genetic genealogy. DNA know more about some of my ancestors than I do!

Cheers,
Aussie

FoD DNA matches

by tkjensen @, Laramie, Wyoming, USA, Monday, August 14, 2017, 23:00 (2445 days ago) @ aussie

Hello! I administer DNA kits for my mom and aunt, whose maternal grandparents both came from the Forest. Both kits are on Ancestry.com as well as GEDMatch and FTDNA. I would love to share info. I think I should know how to do this, but I can't seem to find how to send you a private email. Help? Terri

FoD DNA matches

by aussie @, Tasmania, Australia, Monday, August 14, 2017, 23:44 (2445 days ago) @ tkjensen

Hi Terri,
Wow, this is exciting! Lovely to hear from you and thank you very much for your reply. I've had a quick look on Gedmatch and can only see one kit with an email address of tkjensen. Is that your email address for DM's kit? I may also match your other kits, so please send me all your kit numbers. Gedmatch only displays 2000 matches and some of them are kits that people have entered two or three times which takes up space where other kits could be displayed. There must be over 2000 matches that we don't see on Gedmatch because of their limit. I was also told by Gedmatch that their default settings have to be lowered when doing some of the searches.

If my name is in a blue font on this forum post then you can click on my name and it will take you to my profile. Click on the envelope icon below my name to open the email program on this website. I hope that works. Kind regards, Aussie

Hello! I administer DNA kits for my mom and aunt, whose maternal grandparents both came from the Forest. Both kits are on Ancestry.com as well as GEDMatch and FTDNA. I would love to share info. I think I should know how to do this, but I can't seem to find how to send you a private email. Help? Terri

FoD DNA matches

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Tuesday, September 05, 2017, 13:23 (2424 days ago) @ aussie

Hi Aussie,

I've recently done a DNA test with Ancestry and am slowly working my way through the potential matches and learning a lot of new stuff. I say slowly because I work full-time and my house is currently undergoing renovations ... I wish I had more time/space for family history research!

A lot of my ancestors on my maternal grandfather's line all came from the Forest of Dean, mainly from Westbury, Littledean,, Cinderford and Broadoak. So far I've found two DNA matches with Forest of Dean connections, both of whom are in the USA. In one case the brother of my 4G grandmother emigrated as a Methodist preacher, while in the other it was a brother of a 3G grandmother who emigrated. So far I don't have any connections to Australia ... apart from a different branch where someone was transported there as a convict!

I'll PM you my kit number on Gedmatch - do let me know if you find anything!

Janey

FoD DNA matches

by aussie @, Tasmania, Australia, Tuesday, September 05, 2017, 23:21 (2423 days ago) @ JaneyH

Hi Janey,

Great to hear from you. Yes, I can definitely understand the 'slowly...' I am studying a uni course and have other commitments. So, DNA is not the priority that I'd like it to be. Yes, please do send me your Gedmatch kit number. No convicts on my ancestral line. Mine parents emigrated to Australia, so you wouldn't have known about their voyage. My GLS folk were from Kings Stanley, Leonard Stanley, Arlingham, Fretherne, Newnham, Stonehouse, Cam, Berkeley, Iron Acton, Dursley, Frampton Cotterell, Westbury on Severn and a few other places outside of the FoD. I am accumulating cousins in the USA and around the globe. It's great fun!

Cheers,
Aussie

Hi Aussie,

I've recently done a DNA test with Ancestry and am slowly working my way through the potential matches and learning a lot of new stuff. I say slowly because I work full-time and my house is currently undergoing renovations ... I wish I had more time/space for family history research!

A lot of my ancestors on my maternal grandfather's line all came from the Forest of Dean, mainly from Westbury, Littledean,, Cinderford and Broadoak. So far I've found two DNA matches with Forest of Dean connections, both of whom are in the USA. In one case the brother of my 4G grandmother emigrated as a Methodist preacher, while in the other it was a brother of a 3G grandmother who emigrated. So far I don't have any connections to Australia ... apart from a different branch where someone was transported there as a convict!

I'll PM you my kit number on Gedmatch - do let me know if you find anything!

Janey

RSS Feed of thread