John Williams 1785 (Parish Records)

by RParfitt @, New Zealand, Sunday, July 09, 2017, 05:58 (2454 days ago)

I am searching for the birth of John Williams about 1785 in Forest of Dean. He was buried at Drybrook 15 Jan 1849 age 63. He married Elizabeth (Betty?) Hall at Walford 16 Dec 1816. She was probably 19 and expecting her son Samuel Hall Williams. It says they were both extrapaochial. Does that mean in the Forest of Dean please?

If so maybe John Williams baptised at Ruardean 15 Jan 1786, mother Sarah father John is the best match.
Thanks

John Williams 1785

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, July 09, 2017, 09:33 (2454 days ago) @ RParfitt

For starters

? apart from Samuel Hall WILLIAMS

? names of other siblings i.e. family names - occupation: Williams e.g. Quarryman

assume all the other siblings were christened at Drybrook (from the records)

Mary Ann etc. up to Amos 1837

---

If you use the Advance Search and search for witnesses

i.e. Samuel HALL/Elizabeth PARRY/John Williams/Elizabeth HALL

- there are some marriages where the above are witnesses etc. at Walford

?

Marriage at Walford

20 April 1828

Beriah MEEK - extra parochially

Tryphena WILLIAMS - extra parochially

witnesses: John WILLIAMS and Elizabeth WILLIAMS (this could well be, John WILLIAMS and Elizabeth HALL)

Tryphena WILLIAMS christened at Ruardean, 25 May 1804 - parents Thomas & Sarah

Tryphena/Beriah MEEK + family

On the 1841 census (Dean, Forest, District 16, Page 10 of 13) +++ ??? WILLIAMS living either side inc Jos 25& George c1800
Ross District
Extra Parochial
Ruardean Hill

George WILLIAMS christened 22 June 1800 Ruardean, parents, George & Betty - (tree on Ancestry)

John WILLIAMS and his family are in the same District - but page 6 of 13) so very close, and again on the 1851 census

(stone cutters/quarrymen etc)

1841 Census,
Dean Forest
St Briavels (above Tryphena MEEK)

Jos WILLIAMS - 25 (christened 25 July 1813, Ruardean, parents: George (Quarryma) & Elizabeth
Amelia WILLIMS - 30
Jude WILLIAMS - 2
Luesa WILLIAMS - 3
Sarah WILLIAMS - 75

-----

Ancestry has transcribed Gloucestershire Wills and the various WILLIAMS listed in Ruardean appear to be Quarryman - mentioning wives/brothers/nephews etc - may be these could help.

John Williams 1785

by RParfitt @, New Zealand, Monday, July 10, 2017, 06:38 (2453 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks. That is a good clue. Tryphena WILLIAMS parents were Thomas & Sarah. They seem to have come from Weston under Penyard and had a John in 1786, and 3 other children there, then 8 more at Ruardean. He would have been Tryphena's older brother. John born in 1786 is close to what I am looking for, but 1785 would be better because he died age 63 in Jan 1849. But ages may not be exact, and the baptism could be when the child is older. Maybe this is my John or maybe this lot are cousins to my John. There are so many Williams.

RSS Feed of thread