Voll Mill Pauntley (General)

by sianb, England, Saturday, July 29, 2017, 11:41 (2461 days ago)

I have been looking at the will of William Puckmore of Pauntley buried 1729 in it he leaves all his 'wearing apparrell'(sic) to John Puckmore of the Voll Mill. Does anyone know where this place might have been? I have been looking at Old Maps and cannot find a place with this name. Any help would be welcome.
Thank you.
Siân

Voll Mill Pauntley

by sianb, England, Saturday, July 29, 2017, 12:06 (2461 days ago) @ sianb

I posted too soon. I have just found it on 'Know your Place - Gloucestershire' as Vell Mill, lying north of the river Leadon, East of Dymock. Now known as Field House.

Siân

Voll Mill Pauntley

by nimrod, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 14:34 (2457 days ago) @ sianb

There are two photographs of Vell Mill taken before alterations in 'A Photographic Survey of the Parish of Pauntley 2000 - 2006' at the Gloucestershire Archives.
William Puckmore is recorded without an inscription in Bigland or Rudder. He was aged 84 when he died but his MI no longer exists. There is also his inventory at the G/A - 1730/103. Nimrod

Vell Mill Pauntley

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 20:33 (2457 days ago) @ nimrod

Gloucestershire Wild Life Trust

http://www.gloucestershirewildlifetrust.co.uk

'Click on Wild Places'

then : Nature Reserves

scroll down to

Vell Mill Daffodfil Meadow - (also a map showing where the meadow is located).

----

Forest of Dean records has

Burial : 13 May 1624

Gwy HILL, The Vellmill

Vell Mill Pauntley

by sianb, England, Saturday, August 05, 2017, 13:10 (2454 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you. Beautiful.

Sian

Voll Mill Pauntley

by sianb, England, Saturday, August 05, 2017, 13:11 (2454 days ago) @ nimrod

Thank you Nimrod. I shall look that up.

Voll Mill Pauntley

by nimrod, Tuesday, August 08, 2017, 15:38 (2451 days ago) @ sianb

Also an old photograph and short paragraph in The Mills of Gloucestershire by Stephen Mills and Pierce Riemer. Referred to as Payford Mill. Would you like the paragraph?

Nimrod

Voll Mill Pauntley

by Loveridge @, Tuesday, August 08, 2017, 20:55 (2451 days ago) @ nimrod

You will be interested to know that my ancestor Richard Loveridge (1813 - 1880) also lived at Vell Mill, Dymock and I have an oil painting of his daughter Elizabeth. John Loveridge

Voll Mill Pauntley

by sianb, England, Friday, August 11, 2017, 12:06 (2448 days ago) @ nimrod

Yes please Nimrod. That would be great.
Siân

Voll Mill Pauntley

by nimrod, Monday, October 09, 2017, 15:21 (2389 days ago) @ sianb

Correction. Vell Mill is at Dymock, not Pauntley. Sorry!

The Mills Archive describes it as a bone mill on the RIver Leadon.

britishhistory online states that it was known as the mill in the field (de la felde)in the 13th century and had gone out of use by the time of Thomas Hill d. 1756.

On the lane from Ryton to Dymock there is a late Victorian red brick house adjacent to the lane named Vell Mill. The next property is mainly stone built and set well back from the lane and will be on the Leadon and probably the original mill house. I do not know its name but will find out.
Nimrod

Voll Mill Pauntley, and other Leadon valley mills

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, October 09, 2017, 17:26 (2389 days ago) @ nimrod

Hi Nimrod,
I suspect you've already see it, but thouight I'd mention there's an extensive article describing the various mills of the Leadon Valley in this GSIA newletter, starting at page 26. (Apologies if it's already been mentioned within this thread, but short of time here to check).

http://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/news/ginl07.pdf

Hope it helps, Jeff.

by nimrod, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 12:03 (2381 days ago) @ Jefff

The article about the mills was very interesting. Thank you. I've traced the ownership of Staunton mill for 175 years from wills.
Nimrod

by sianb, England, Thursday, February 09, 2023, 12:33 (440 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you very much . this is really interesting.

RSS Feed of thread