Richard MORGAN & Elizabeth PRITCHARD (General)

by windriff, Sunday, July 30, 2017, 21:34 (2459 days ago)

Hi All,

I'm researching RICHARD MORGAN born abt 1800 who married ELIZABETH PRITCHARD b.1799. They married in Gloucester St Nicholas in 1824, then had 4 children baptized in Little Dean where they lived (Edwin, Emma Elizabeth, Ann & Elizabeth). In 1831 they sailed to the US to live in Albany, New York. Richard was not on the ship with Elizabeth & children but he was on the 1840 New York census with them. There was another Morgan family on the ship: William & Mary Morgan with their children (Mary, William, Henry, Richard, Juliana, James). Unsure if they were related, though I'm thinking they may have been acting as chaperone for Elizabeth & children.

There are 2 Richard Morgan lines that are being confused. My Richard was a "Nailer", which he continued to list as an occupation in the US. I'm unsure if my Richard has parents John & Mary Morgan, bapt. Sept 1800 in Little Dean. Richard & Elizabeth's marriage showed no parents but had witnesses Theophilus Woodcock & Jane Smith (I've found nothing on them that would help).

Family lore is that they were Welsh, Non-Conformists/Congregationalists, tended to be religious leaders (Reverends, etc), ?someone was from the Isle of Man. That is all that is known.

Looking for anyone with an idea of how to determine parentage. Dna done...no help. Have good documentation from 1824 marriage onward but need to know parents in order to research further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amy in USA

Richard MORGAN & Elizabeth PRITCHARD

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, July 31, 2017, 02:22 (2459 days ago) @ windriff

Hi Amy and a warm welcome to the site & forum.
I'm afraid I can't help much this week as am moving house in a few days, first time in 25 years so rather busy. Not that my absence matters, the forum is blessed with several really helpful members so you're still in safe hands.

You mention John & Mary - I'm sure you have, but to assist other replies please confirm that you've searched the forum for prior posts, such as this one ?
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=47473#p47475

By the way if you're interested in Richard's trade of nailer, which might well have been common with his father, then you'll find several prior threads discussing this occupation in detail, eg.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=44335

Thanks and good luck, J.

by windriff, Monday, July 31, 2017, 14:33 (2459 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you for your response and HAPPY MOVING! :)

The other post re: Richard Morgan (so that other members are aware) gave me the inspiration to post here looking for help. I've looked through books, joined every FB group I could find for the area, looked at ever member tree everywhere, Ancestry, Family Search, Wiki, etc. The dna relatives who match through Ancestry have incorrect info with no sources. I'm out of ideas.

I'll be sending for Richard & Elizabeth's death certificates from New York, though it can take up to a year to receive them. I'm hoping the names of their parents will be listed.

Once I figure out the lineage, I will be sure to post it in my tree (on Ancestry) and on here to help others in their research.

Amy

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, July 31, 2017, 16:21 (2458 days ago) @ windriff

Common names always cause problems : although Christian family names more often than not continue through generations.

---

???

One of the witnesses at the wedding of Richard MORGAN to Elizabeth PRITCHARD - in 1824 was Jane SMITH

????

Forest of Dean records

Marriage at St Briavels

1 October 1826

John MORGAN - Batchelor of this Parish

Jane SMITH - of this Parish

witnesses: George and Hannah THOMAS

(will see where John & Jane MORGAN appear on records etc)

RSS Feed of thread