BARNARDs of Mitcheldean and Abenhall (General)

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, August 11, 2017, 17:50 (2421 days ago)

hi everyone

after many many months of intensive researching I have connected my partner Mike's line to Richard BARNARD (with slight variations in surname) baptised 27 Nov 1683 in Mitcheldean to an Edward BARNARD and his wife Mary...... Richard married a Mary HADEN in Lea 5 Jan 1706

Mike's line goes through Jonathan BARNARD baptised 4 April 1708 in Mitcheldean ....and Elizabeth CONSTANCE married 29 June 1731 in Huntley.

around the same age as Edward (possibly born 1655 ish as his first child is born 1677) there seems to be a Mathias who might also be known as Mathew (or this may be two different men but they both then have a wife called Elonor with various spellings), I've found a George BARNWOOD sometimes BARNARD having children baptised in the 1620s. and in 1591 I found a Thomas the son of Richard BARNWODE baptised.

now I've tried to look at all the BARNARDs in Mitcheldean, and Abenhall (various spellings), to find a connection between the Mitcheldean Barnards and the Abenhall Barnards with no luck so far other than a Jonathan Barnard baptised in 1770 in Mitcheldean marrying Nancy or Ann Good in 1796 in Abenhall and then going on to have Thomas baptised in 1797 in Abenhall.

but I'm sure the Abenhall Barnards go back further than Jonathan.... with two BENNOTT ladies marrying in 1633 ....

I have found a Thomas BARNARD and wife Mary baptising Ann in 1799 (but I don't know where they fit in)

sorry this is so long and complicated ...... is anyone else researching this line? and have you found a connection between the families? the villages are far too close together to there not to be a connection... I'm sure.

any help would really be appreciated :-)

BARNARDs of Mitcheldean and Abenhall

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, August 11, 2017, 17:58 (2421 days ago) @ macast

forgot to say that I have been looking at Thomas BARNARD born about 1771 .... then marrying Mary Goode in 17 February 1799 in Abenhall. for a long time I thought these were my partner's line.... but people on here helped me sort out all the Thomas BARNARDs that I seemed to have found to connected me up to the correct Thomas.

I don't seem to be able to find this Thomas's father.

so I was trying to see if he connected up to the Mitcheldean Barnards. but I'm not getting anywhere with it. and all that seems to be happening is me finding more and more Barnards lol

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, August 11, 2017, 20:18 (2421 days ago) @ macast

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608

is a list of 20,000 men fit to fight - this can be found on the website Coaley.net

http://www.coaley.net

When seaching for the surname : just enter first 4 letters i.e. Barn as there are a number of variations :

Gloucestershire Archives - Genealogical Search (another useful search website)

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

---

Advance Search i.e. Christenings

Mitcheldean

1681: Elizabeth : father : Edward
1683 : Richard BARNHOOD - parents: Edward & Mary
1686 : Margarett BARNWOOD - parents: Edward & Mary

+ a couple of BERNARD baptisms, father, Edward

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, August 11, 2017, 20:30 (2421 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

thanks for this.... but I've tried them and found nothing

thanks again

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, August 11, 2017, 21:33 (2421 days ago) @ macast

? Have you checked the National Archives (A2a)

These records are held at the Gloucestershire Archives

Date: 1728

Reference: GDR/B4/1/1749

Gloucestershire Diocesan Records. Consistory Court. Court Paper.
Mitcheldean

Sarah BARNARD v Jonathan BARNARD : defamation

---

Gloucester Diocesan Records. Consistory Court. Court papers. Mitcheldean

Sarah BARNARD v Mary BARNARD : defamation

----

Same Heading as before : Mitcheldean

Mary BARNARD v Matthew BARNARD : defamation

-----

Date: 1731

Same heading : Mitcheldean

Tacey Stephens v Eliz. BARNARD, defamation

---

FoD records has

baptism at Mitcheldean: 1 July 1733

Sarah STEPHENS, parents: John & Tacey

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, August 12, 2017, 13:01 (2420 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks for these. I assume looking at these records would give me clues as to who the people are. But my computer has had to go to hospital to be fixed and it is difficult looking at records on a phone.

Do you know if they are available to view or do I need to order and pay for them to be scanned/photocopied etc?

Thanks in advance

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, August 19, 2017, 17:48 (2413 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

only just got my computer up and running again and discovered that I can't have photocopies of these documents and have to visit in person.

so that is the end of that for the foreseeable future as I live in North Yorkshire.

thanks anyway for the information.
any further information on these BARNARDs will be gratefully received :-)

RSS Feed of thread