cavenaugh/Brain (General)

by cavender, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 22:53 (2409 days ago)

Looking for any information on the Brain or Cavenaugh family. Daniel Cavenaugh wife margaret and son James, daughter Catherine, Catherine married an Enos Jenkins.

cavenaugh/Brain

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 12:55 (2408 days ago) @ cavender

Could you give more information e.g. Dates/Places

cavenaugh/Brain

by cmfenton @, Ferndown, Dorset, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 19:10 (2408 days ago) @ cavender

If you search the Parish Records for just the Cavenaugh surname with the Soundex option selected you will find only 20 or so entries.

One of them is a baptism for Catherine in 1820 (parents Daniel and Margaret) at Littledean.

Catherine's marriage to Enos Jenkins on 7th Dec 1838 at Bream records her surname as Cavender (father's name as Daniel).

One baptism for Tom Jenkins in 1839 at Parkend.

cavenaugh/Brain

by cavender, Monday, August 28, 2017, 20:07 (2404 days ago) @ cmfenton

Margaret King (Cavanaugh, Beach) was buried in Parkend FOD 1850 aged 60.

cavenaugh/Brain

by evepoppy, Saturday, August 26, 2017, 10:47 (2406 days ago) @ cavender

I have the family tree going back to Daniel Cavanaugh (my 3x gt. grandfather) born abt. 1787, Wexford, Ireland, who married Margaret King, born Lydney, FoD, 1788. Please let me know what info. you would like.

Daniel CAVANAUGH

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, August 26, 2017, 11:40 (2406 days ago) @ evepoppy

?

Assume you have seen/ or is yours - Daniel CAVANAUGH's Tree on Ancestry

Canada British Regiment Register of Services 103rd Foot Regiment age 21 years @ 25 August 1808 - /UK British Army Musters Books and Pay Lists 1812-1817 and uK Military Campaign Medal and Awards Rolls 1793-1949

were born : At the Parish of St Mary Wexford Ireland / his height etc etc +

and parents as: James and Catherine CAVANAUGH (as stated on tree)

---

Daniel CAVRNER married Margaret KING - 9 November 1809, St Mary's Warickshire (on Tree and on Copy Originals on Ancestry)

Daniel CAVANAUGH

by evepoppy, Saturday, August 26, 2017, 18:46 (2406 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Yes this is my family. The one thing I have been unable to find is a record of Daniel's death. This must have been between his daughter Catherine's baptism 1820 and his wife Margaret's marriage to Thomas Beach. This in itself is unusual as the first marriage between them was in January 1823, her disclosures being incorrect, and a duplicate marriage in the following June, at Awre. Daniel was a Catholic but I cannot find any catholic burial for him. Their son, Thomas, who was born in Quebec, was buried at Lydney, surname spelling given as Caveneugh. I have found about six differing variations of their surname through the years. It's a free weekend on Ancestry so my tree should be available and I will check that it's up to date. Cheers!

Daniel Cavenaugh

by cavender, Monday, August 28, 2017, 19:56 (2404 days ago) @ evepoppy

Hi, I have after much searching, found a burial reference for Daniel Cavenaugh in Westbury on severn in 1848.The age would be about right, although its interesting to know that when Margaret King (Cavenaugh) married in Jan/June 1823 she had declared herself as a widow ?

cavenaugh/Brain

by cavender, Monday, August 28, 2017, 20:03 (2404 days ago) @ evepoppy

Any information would be most welcome, as I seem to have ground to a halt.

many thanks.

cavenaugh/Brain

by evepoppy, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 16:02 (2403 days ago) @ cavender

Daniel Cavanaugh born 1787, Wexford joined British Army 1808 in Cork. 1809 marries Margaret King in Warwick. Margaret born 1788 Lydney. Posted to Guernsey with the 103rd regiment Dublin Fusiliers where son James born in 1811. Baptised by a french emigre priest, Father Navet. 1814 Daniel posted to Canada,second son Thomas born and baptised Quebec 1816. Discharged from army and returned to Forest where daughter Catherine born April 1820 and baptised at Bream (marries Enos Jenkins 1838 and emigrated to Schuykill, Pennsylvania). Living at Whitecroft, Daniel reverts to his trade as a stone mason.Between June 1820 and January 1823 Daniel disappears/dies as Margaret marries Thomas Beach at Awre but gives her name as King and condition spinster. Married Thomas Beach again in June 1823 stating her correct name and a widow. Thomas was about 12 years her junior. Their daughter Fanny was born 1826.Thomas Cavanaugh died 1830, buried Lydney. James Cavanaugh married Eliza Brain in 1832. Sons Thomas 1833 (unmarried), James 1835, Daniel 1837-48, William 1839-46, Fanny Brain 1843-46, Enos 1848-49, Catherine 1850 (marries Thomas Webster 1868, Sheffield). James married Mary White 1862, St James Church, Parish of St. Michael, Gloucester.Son Benjamin born 1863, Flaxley, Sons James 1867, Edward 1870 (unmarried), Thomas William 1873, Daniel 1876-97, John White 1877(marries Emma Wilkinson) born in Rotherham, Yorkshire.Benjamin and James emigrated to America, where they both married and have many descendants. Thomas William joined the army in 1890 and served in the second Boer War, being discharged 1902, he returned to work in Rotherham as a steel fettler and died in 1924 leaving a wife and young family of six children, a baby daughter had died. His family still live in Yorkshire.

Margaret CAVENAUGH Removal Order 1822 from Exeter

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 17:21 (2403 days ago) @ evepoppy

By Searching the National Archives e.g. Daniel Cavenaugh

This record is held by Devon Archives and Local Studies Service (South West Heritage Trust)

Reference: 4781 A - 99/PO 15/103

Title: Removal Order:

Margaret Cavenaugh widow of Daniel Cavenaugh of Wexford, Ireland, deceased

James (10)
Thomas (4)
Catherine (2)

her children to Lidney, Co. of Gloucester

---

so assume the family were living in Devon at the time of Daniel's death and the family would have been a burden on them

Margaret CAVENAUGH removal Order 1822 from Exeter

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 17:25 (2403 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Also

Removal Order:

Margaret CAVENAUGH widow of Daniel CAVENAUGH, of Wexford, Ireland, deceased

James (10)
Thomas (4)
Catherine (2)

her children to Lidney. Co of Gloucester

St.Thomas' Parish, Exeter.

OVERSEERS of the POOR

Parish Documents, Removal Order.

Held by: Devon Archives and Local Studies Service (South West Hereitage Trust)

Date: 1822
Reference: 4781 A - 99.PO 15.103

Daniel CAVANAGH - Buried 1822, Exeter Holy Trinity

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 18:13 (2403 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Don't belong to FindmyPast - but can see the brief outline of

Burial: Exeter Holy Trinity: Anglican

Daniel CAVANAGH birth year: 1790 : burial year: 1822

Daniel CAVANAGH - Buried 1822, Exeter Holy Trinity

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 18:34 (2403 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

This information has been sent to me

---

First name: Daniel
Last name: CAVANAGH
Age: 32 (=c1790, may be Daniel lied about his age when he joined up and was 18 not 21)
Death year : 1822
Burial date: 08 July 1822

Burial place: Exeter, Holy Trinity
County: Devon
County: England

Notes: Abode: Hospital

Archive: South West Heritage Trust

Record set: Devon Burials
Category: Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory: Deaths & burials
Collection: from: England, Great British

---

The Removal Orders held by Devon Archives and Local Studies Service (South West Heritage Trust) should make interesting
reading.

cavenaugh/Brain

by shepway @, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 19:19 (2403 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Burial of Thomas:

Year 1831
Month Aug
Day 20
Surname CAVENAGHT
Forenames Thomas
Residence Whitecroft Forest of Dean
Age at death 14
Officiating Minister H.C.H.Hawkins Curate
Event Burial
Cause of death
Memoranda
Notes V or a tick in margin as if checked
Register Reference P209 IN 1/11
Page No 77
Parish Chapel Lydney

Mike

cavenaugh/Brain

by evepoppy, Wednesday, August 30, 2017, 09:10 (2402 days ago) @ shepway

Well thank you so very much for Daniel's burial details - I have been looking for years, obviously in the wrong place. As Holy Trinity Church in Exeter was being rebuilt in 1820, I wonder if he had gone there to work on it as he was a stone mason by trade, who knows. Margaret must have been a strong woman as she had travelled as an army private's wife and lived in Canada for four years, the sea journeys with young children must have been horrific, don't think being repatriated to Lydney would have fazed her! She would have had some great stories to tell. Again, many thanks. xx

cavenaugh/Brain

by cavender, Saturday, September 09, 2017, 20:12 (2392 days ago) @ evepoppy

Thank you so much, this has answered so may questions I had.
I am still finding it difficult to find any connections in Wexford for Daniels parents, James and Catherine.

cavenaugh/Brain

by evepoppy, Monday, September 11, 2017, 14:18 (2390 days ago) @ cavender

The names of Daniel's parents are pure guesswork, given the naming patterns of the time. As many of Ireland's parish records were destroyed at the beginning of the 20th century, it may be impossible to trace the family although from time to time new facts come to light which often solve a long standing problem - this forum a true example of this help. The thing is to never stop looking, something always turns up! Regards to all.

cavenaugh/Brain

by cavender, Monday, September 11, 2017, 20:52 (2390 days ago) @ evepoppy

have you any information as to the village/ town Daniel was born in, in Wexford ? my maiden name was Cavender and I am the daughter of James Cavender (born in Rotherham)

Cavenaugh/Brain

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 08:43 (2389 days ago) @ cavender

By Googling:

300 years of Parish Records now online - Wexford people

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/300-years-of-parish-records-online-31426348.html

There is an article on the net

'Almost 300 years of Catholic parish registers, containing information on births and marriages, held by the National Library of Ireland have been made available online.

The church records date from the 1740s to the 1800s and are mainly baptisms and marriages and includes records from many Wexford parishs' etc etc. (as is free)

As Daniel was a Mason, this was most likely a family occupation and having just returned from holiday in Southern Ireland, it is very rural and towns are sparse!

cavenaugh/Brain

by evepoppy, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:27 (2387 days ago) @ cavender

When Daniel enlisted in the British Army he gave his parish as St. Mary, Wexford. This church, as far as I am aware, no longer exists. However, the old church burial ground is still there I believe although in a poor state. I am hoping to get down to looking through the Wexford online registers soon. Oh for some free time! Regards to all.

cavenaugh/Brain

by cavender, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 21:57 (2382 days ago) @ cavender

I think I may have foune a thread for James Cava.... deported to NSW for his actions in the Irish uprising in 1798 deported to nsw on the Atlantis 11 given his freedom for assisting the governor and moved to Sydney. next found in america on the 1851 census aged 81 living with his daughter Catherine.

RSS Feed of thread