Family research (General)

by kimmy-lou @, Friday, September 08, 2017, 10:16 (2393 days ago)

Hi everyone, firstly, I want to thank the members who helped me with my last thread on this family research...........

But i once again am looking for some help with a particular member of this tree, I want to make sure I havnt gone off on a tangent and got all over excited.

I have managed to get quite far back with this family tree so far and if i have gone in the correct direction, I have come to 1807 in Cold ashton.
The person in question is a Jonah Rawlings. He is my friends possible 4x great grandfather.

Im not sure if this is the correct person and I also wanted to ak for help with regards to this person as he has come up saying he was sent to Tazmania for 7 years for stealing a sheep off John Britton the Elder.

Below I will right in order the main rawlings men and their wives names so you can see the direction, im hoping someone could help me as ive looked at this until im cross eyed. I shall start from my friends grandmother, violet.

Thanks to you all once again

Kimberley x

Violet M Rawlings
Father - albert rawlings (1894-1967)
Mother - mary smart ( 1894 - 1974)

Albert rawlings (1894 - 1967)
Father - albert rawlings (1867 - 1931)
Mother - laura Jones - Blake

Albert RAwlings (1867- 1931)
Father - frederick rawlings (1836 - 1897)
Mother - sarah

*** this is where im not sure ***

Frederick Rawlings (1836 - 1897)
Father - jonas rawlings?
Mother - hannah rawlings?

Family research

by richards @, Friday, September 08, 2017, 18:07 (2393 days ago) @ kimmy-lou

There is a previous thread for Rawlings, are any of these yours?

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=31503#p31581

Family research

by kimmy-lou @, Friday, September 08, 2017, 23:01 (2392 days ago) @ richards

No, sadly they are not, but thankyou anyway

Family research

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, September 09, 2017, 15:08 (2392 days ago) @ kimmy-lou

I don’t know how much of this information you have already but I think it points firmly towards Jonas and Hannah being the parents of Frederick

From Ancestry,

April 16 1829, marriage at Cold Aston,
Jonas RAWLINGS, batchelor of this Parish
Hannah RAWLINGS, spinster of this Parish
Both mark.
Witnesses, Danill GISFORD, Aaron FRANCOMB (Parish clerk?)

Then the children, all baptised at Cold Ashton, abode Cold Ashton,

30th May 1830
Rebecca, daughter of Jonas and Hannah RAWLINGS

Name: Rebecca Rawlings
Death Age: 3
Birth Year: abt 1830
Burial Date: 8 Aug 1833
Burial Place: Cold Ashton, Gloucestershire, England

29th July 1832
Frederic, son of Jonas and Hannah RAWLINGS

[ his birth year in Census ranges from 1831 to 1834]

29th June 1834
Rebecca, daughter of Jonas and Hannah RAWLINGS

4th December 1837
Peter, son of Hannah RAWLINGS
Her husband transported more than 13 months since.

2nd April 1839
Jane, daughter of Hannah RAWLINGS

In GR 1841 Hannah (aged 45) is in Cold Ashton with Frederick (9) and Rebecca (7) but Jonas does not appear. In GR 1851 and 1861 she is recorded as a widow (aged 50 and 60 respectively and as Ann in 1851) and in the latter Census she is with Frederick as a boarder.

From the BNA,

There are several reports in 1835 of Jonas RAWLINGS being sentenced to transportation. They give the term as life but this is not correct – the record of his trial says seven years. The crime is recorded as receiving stolen goods.

From the Australian Convict Transportation Registers on Ancestry,

Name: Jonas RAWLINGS
Vessel: Bardaster
Conviction date: 23 March 1835
Voyage: 7 Sep 1835
Colony: Tazmania
Place of conviction: Somerset England

From the Launceton Examiner (Tazmania) Sat 19 Mar 1842,

COLONIAL SECRETARY’S OFFICE

The periods for which the undermentioned persons were transported expiring at the date placed after their respective names, Certificates of their Freedom may be obtained…………etc

Jonas RAWLINGS 23rd March

NSW Tazmania Convict Musters for 1846,

Jonas RAWLINGS
Convicted Somerset 1835
Arrived 1836
Term 7 years
Accidentally killed

Australian Death Index,

Jonas RAWLINGS
Birth: about 1807
Death date: 6 Dec 1842
Place: Horton, Tazmania

Family research

by kimmy-lou @, Monday, September 11, 2017, 16:22 (2390 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thankyou Mike, i thought it was this guy!!!! Just needed a second pair of eyes.

Could you suggest how i would go about looking for his baptism and his parents?? I cant seem to find any record for him existing?

Many thanks again everyone

Family research

by kimmy-lou @, Monday, September 11, 2017, 16:55 (2390 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Not sure if my last post went up.....

Thankyou Mike for your help, was wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to look for jonas' baptism and his siblings/ parents?
I cannot find any record of him existing

Thanks again guys

Kim

Family research

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, September 11, 2017, 19:57 (2390 days ago) @ kimmy-lou

I don’t know what resources you have available to you but I use Ancestry for this kind of thing because of the availability of images of Gloucestershire Parish Registers and Bishop’s Transcripts. However, Ancestry has the profoundly annoying habit of hiding things which ought to be obvious. This is the case with Jonas RAWLINGS. The usual kind of search for baptisms refuses to show him up. Under these circumstances the only thing to do is guess at his baptism date (in this case the Australian Death Index is the only evidence and implies c1807) and baptism place (probably Cold Ashton). Then search the Parish Records with no name entered, Cold Ashton Gloucestershire as the place,1807 as the year and select the Gloucestershire records 1538 to 1813. Pick a baptism close to the date and simply step through the entries backwards and forwards until you either find the person or not. Doing this for Jonas reveals the following,

Jonas the son of Daniel and Ann Rawlings was baptised February 9 1805.

In fairness to Ancestry the volume is in poor condition around the margins and the name RAWLINGS is only just readable. Perhaps their transcriber gave up too easily.

Family research

by kimmy-lou @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 12:41 (2389 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Oh my gosh thankyou so much, so i would guess that daniel and ann are Jonas parents??
Thankyou so much for the advice

Family research

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 22:37 (2388 days ago) @ kimmy-lou

Unless I’ve missed something this seems to be the only Jonas RAWLINGS in the right place at the right time. The same register reveals at least six potential siblings,

Jane the Daughter of Daniel and Ann Rawlins was baptised March 19 1811.

George the Son of Daniel and Ann Rawlings June 4 1804.

Joseph the Son of Daniel and Ann Rawlings was baptised November 1 1801

Abraham and Isaac the Sons of Daniel and Ann Rawlings were baptised April 9 1800

Thomas the Son of Daniel and Ann Rawlings was baptized October 5 1799
(this entry has been squashed in later)

If the children were baptised soon after birth there are some potential anomalies here but, then again, a baptism date is not a birth date.

There is also this entry from the Cold Ashton marriage register,

The banns of marriage between Daniel Rawlings of the Parish of Cold Ashton and Ann Cox of the Parish of Marshfield were duly published in the Church of Cold Ashton on the three following Sundays (viz) the 12th, 19th and 26th of April 1795.
John Whittington, Minister

However, this is not followed by a record of the solemnisation of the marriage as is usually the case in this register.

RSS Feed of thread