Delaney's and Davies's (General)

by Diannep @, Norwich, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:57 (2390 days ago)

Good morning
Can anyone help please, I am visiting the area this weekend and would like to try to find my relatives graves and give them a spruce up if necessary .
The graves I am looking for are
My Maternal GrandfatherWilliam Charles Delaney and
My Grandmother Evelyn Delaney (Davies)
Daniel Davies
Daniel Davies
Eleanor Delaney
Earnest Edward Delaney
Hubert Delaney
Sarah Jane Delaney
John Delaney
Maria Delaney

I believe some are are in Staunton churchyard but not entirely sure whereabouts of most of them ! Berryhill, Christchurch and English Bicknor
If I find only my Grandparents I would be happy
Many thanks
Dianne

--
DL pickering

Delaney's and Davies's

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:19 (2390 days ago) @ Diannep

Some dates would help???

In the PRs on this site there is a William (1917) and a Evelyn (1941) buried in Christchurch. There is a grave reference for Evelyn but not William. Ages are completely different so only one of these might be what you are looking for. There are other Delaneys listed too.

Delaney's and Davies's

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:02 (2390 days ago) @ probinson

I can see from your previous posts that your grandmother was the Evelyn that died 1941.

Details:

Record_ID: 248048
Entry_Number: 94
Year: 1941
Month: Apr
Day: 3
Surname: DELANEY
Forenames: Evelyn Mabel
Residence: Christchurch. Died in Infectious Disease Hospital Highnam
Age_at_death: 27 years
Officiating_Minister: Wyndham Jones vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: new church yard No.40 row 3
Notes: not sure if grave no. correct
Register_Reference: P82 IN 1/17
Page_No: 12
Parish_Chapel: Christchurch
Soundex: D450

Delaney and Davies families

by Diannep @, Norwich, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:44 (2390 days ago) @ probinson

Apologies for not inserting dates
Here are some dates that I have found and have kindly been given from people on your site
The graves I am looking for are
My Maternal GrandfatherWilliam Charles Delaney born 1915 died 1982
My Grandmother Evelyn Mabel Delaney (Davies). Died of TB 1941
Daniel Davies Evelyn's brother died around 1940 of TB like his sister
Daniel Davies Evelyn's father 1916. Burial English Bicknor

Eleanor Delaney (Hopkins) Born c 1886 died 1959
Earnest Edward Delaney born in Staunton 1886 died 1964
Hubert Delaney born c 1850 Berryhill
Sarah Jane Delaney born c1849-52

John Delaney born 1882
Kate Delaney born 1874. Died 1947
Annie Delaney born. 1878

I believe some are are in Staunton churchyard but not entirely sure whereabouts of most of them ! Berryhill, Christchurch and English Bicknor
If I find only my Grandparents I would be happy
Many thanks again
Dianne

--
DL pickering

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 15:40 (2390 days ago) @ Diannep

On the Christchurch church website (http://www.christchurchfod.org.uk/cguide.html) it says that after 1967 burials took place at Mile End Cemetery. It doesn't say 'all' burials took place there but clearly some did so your grandfather might be buried there rather than at Chistchurch.

The website also mentions a survey was taken of all the headstones at Christchurch in 1991 but it doesn't say where that information now is.

Delaney and Davies : FoD Council Cemetery Burial Records

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 18:52 (2390 days ago) @ probinson

On the Christchurch church website (http://www.christchurchfod.org.uk/cguide.html) it says that after 1967 burials took place at Mile End Cemetery. It doesn't say 'all' burials took place there but clearly some did so your grandfather might be buried there rather than at Christchurch.

The website also mentions a survey was taken of all the headstones at Christchurch in 1991 but it doesn't say where that information now is.

Regarding the survey, I'd suggest contacting Christchurch itself using their website.

In theory our FoD FH website includes PRs for Burials that took place over 30 years ago, so 1984 just falls within that timescale. However my own searches suggest the PRs only include Burials at Christchurch upto the 1950s or so. Hence like PRobinson I doubt anyone buried in 1984 were interred at Christchurch even if the funeral took place there. (This page confirms this http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/transcript-summary )

Mile End Cemetery is a local council cemtery near Coleford hence Christchurch. It was founded in 1967, presumably at much the same time as Yew Tree Brake Cemetery was at Cinderford on the other side of the Forest. # These are the only council cemeteries in the Forest.

See this website for Mile End cemetery, it discusses the availability of burial records. Be warned the link to the Council website is broken.
http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/GLS881.php

Burials records for both can be made via the Council website, altho my own occasional visits show this site's search engine can occasionally give errors presumably because of errors when entering records into the site's database. Hence it might be worth enquiring at the Council office in Coleford. I find the relevant Council webpages have been recently revamped, the last time I used it the burial records were held at Cinderford, but now it's at Coleford.
http://www.fdean.gov.uk/residents/environment/environmental-health/deaths-funerals-and-...

The Burial Register search engine can be found here
http://apps.fdean.gov.uk/OnlineCemeteries_Live/

It only lists these two DELANEY / DELANY records, which may possibly be relevant;

Cemetery: Yew Tree
Grave Ref: A327
Name: DELANEY, Ivy Kathleen
Address: 5 The Purples, Coalway, Coleford, Glos
Note: Ashes - See record 3625 also - Purchased - Mr E Delaney - 22.2.02
Date of Death: 12-Jan-02
Date of Burial:
Place of Death: The Coombs Nursing Home, Sparrow Hill, Coleford
Officiating Minister: No Minister

Cemetery: Yew Tree
Grave Ref: A328
Name: DELANEY, Ernest William
Address: The Elms Nursing Home, Coleford, Glos
Note: Purchased A327 & A328 - See record 3624 also Interment of Ashes
Date of Death: 04-Nov-08
Date of Burial:
Place of Death: Home Address
Officiating Minister: A De Witt

# UPDATE: The British History site states
"To meet a shortage of burial places within the Forest the East Dean rural district council opened a cemetery on the road from Cinderford to the Speech House in 1956, and the West Dean district council a cemetery at Mile End for an area covering Milkwall, Berry Hill, and Lydbrook in 1967."

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp377-381

This statement seems odd to me... surely Coleford residents may be buried there too ??, especially as Coleford is the largest town in the western Forest, comparable in size to Cinderford in the east. Or does this mean Coleford burials are elsewhere, Monmouth or Lydney perhaps ???.

================================

UPDATE EDIT, 1st Nov 2017.
Apologies for incorrectly believing that Mile End was the only Council-run cemetery in the Coleford area, I didn't know there was another within Coleford itself.
Please see this later thread, http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=48756
Thanks Mike Shepway for clarifying this.

Delaney and Davies : FoD Council Cemetery Burial Records

by Diannep @, Norwich, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 08:50 (2389 days ago) @ Jefff

Good morning Jeff
That is very helpful ,I shall look forward finding the graves ,it's been on my list to do for too long now .
Many thanks
Dianne

--
DL pickering

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 16:03 (2390 days ago) @ Diannep

Do you know where your grandfather lived when he died? You said in a previous post that he moved away from the FoD so he may not be buried in the area at all.

I found a William Charles Delaney, born 1915, died 1984 in Yorkshire. That's the closest I can find.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 18:21 (2390 days ago) @ probinson

Do you know where your grandfather lived when he died? You said in a previous post that he moved away from the FoD so he may not be buried in the area at all.

I found a William Charles Delaney, born 1915, died 1984 in Yorkshire. That's the closest I can find.

Hi all,
I currently don't have access to any of the subscription websites, but would add that googling "William Charles Delaney" shows that this is quite a common name set across the country. One hit shows FMP having the Yorkshire death record to be in Leeds.
Similarly searching the FreeBMD site shows several entries, including a Marriage of a William C Delaney in Leeds, Yorkshire in 1933, which MAY be the gentleman above.
Unfortunately FreeBMD doesn't show Deaths after the 1960s or so, hence no chance of finding a 1984 death on that site.
However I am surprised that I cannot even find any FreeBMD Birth record anywhere in the UK for our William, despite the clear Staunton baptism PR quoted on one of the past threads by Slowhands. ??

I've also searched the GlosBMD site, which again gives no deaths c1984 - altho I must say I'm not a fan of that site since it's been revamped to only give records against a specified known year.

I've also tried searching the BNA old newspapers site, but no luck as yet.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
For all these searches I've tried Delaney AND Delany, are their any other spelling variations to try ?

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 18:53 (2390 days ago) @ Diannep

Hi Dianne,

I found a tree on Ancestry that looks to be yours (dianne_logan1?).

In it you have William as died in Yorkshire 1984.

Are we wasting our time looking for a burial in the FoD?

It's always good to give as much information as you know when asking for help here. It saves a lot of wasted time.

by shepway @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 21:08 (2390 days ago) @ Diannep

I will endeavour to provide details for the names you provide and in the same order:
William Charles Delaney - Unable to find a death or burial for the year you give. The nearest was provided in an earlier post:
Name: William Charles Delaney
Death Age: 68
Birth Date: 12 Jun 1915
Registration Date: Apr 1984
Registration district: Leeds
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume: 5
Page: 182

However there is a Memorial as follows:
Location Row X
Reference Number 339
Type Headstone
Surname DELANEY
First Name William Charles
Day 14
Month Dec
Year 1964
Age 70
Details In loving memory of William Charles Delaney died 14 Dec 1964 aged 70 years.
Notes
Parish Christchurch

Evelyn Mabel Delaney. Buried at Christchurch on 3 April 1941. There is a Headstone in the new section. To find it enter the churchyard by the gate and you will find this section furthest point to the right. Headstone reads:
DELANEY, Evelyn, wife of William 1941 Mar 31 age 28
and she is buried with Daniel:
DAVIES, Daniel, her brother 1942 Aug 9 age 26

Daniel William Davies - Buried English Bicknor on 6 February 1916
He is listed on Commonwealth War Graves Commission website so there should be a headstone. The following is from cwgc.org -
Private
DAVIES, DANIEL WILLIAM
Service Number PLY/852(S)
Died 03/02/1916
Aged 22
2nd R.M. Bn. R.N. Div.
Royal Marine Light Infantry
Son of Mrs. Hannah Davies, of Hillersland, Coleford, Glos; husband of Lily May Davies, of Mordiford, Hereford.

Eleanor Delaney listed as Ellen Delaney in the Burial Register. Buried 19 March 1959 at Staunton. GFHS have available a CD which includes Memorial Inscriptions for Staunton. Maybe someone on this site has a copy?

Ernest Edward Delaney buried 9 June 1964 at Staunton. GFHS CD maybe helpful.

Hubert Delaney buried 22 February 1914 at Christchurch. The Memorial Inscriptions are in a database on this website and Hubert is not listed.

Sarah James Delaney buried 19 July 1915 at Staunton. Again GFHS CD may be helpful.

Unable to help with the remainder.

Mike

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 21:54 (2389 days ago) @ shepway

Ancestry Probate

DELANEY William Charles of The Mount, Hillersland, Coleford, Gloucestershire died 14 December 1964 at The Royal Hospital, Southgate Street, Gloucester. Adminstration Gloucester 21 May to Kate DELANEY, Widow. £2,142

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 08:53 (2389 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

William Charles Delaney

Birth: abt 1894

Baptism: 4 Feb 1894 • English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England

Marriage: 9 Apr 1928 • Forest of Dean, Christchurch, Gloucestershire, England. Kate Collicott (1902–1994)

Death: 14 December 1964 • Gloucestershire, England

Based on the info Dianne originally supplied, this isn't her grandfather.

Delaney and Davies families, esp wrt Kate COLLICOTT ??

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 17:11 (2389 days ago) @ probinson

William Charles Delaney

Birth: abt 1894

Baptism: 4 Feb 1894 • English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England

Marriage: 9 Apr 1928 • Forest of Dean, Christchurch, Gloucestershire, England. Kate Collicott (1902–1994)

Death: 14 December 1964 • Gloucestershire, England

Based on the info Dianne originally supplied, this isn't her grandfather.

Hi PR,
I share your apparent confusion with this thread.
Easy for me to say as I'm short of both time and resources at the mo, but has anyone fully researched the life of Kate Delaney nee Collicott, and specifically her time with William Charles Delaney ? I'm probably wrong ;-) , but to me the evidence suggests that either William had two marriages running concurrently, or there are two Williams.

I ask as apart from the your post above and MPG's post ref Kate being widowed in 1964, and a suggestion? of a family connection in Dianne's post, I've seen no other mention of her. I've read and re-read the related threads, searched the forum & PRs for her, and so on. eg I'd love to know where and when was she buried ?
Sadly I don't have access to Ancestry so cannot access "recent" deaths & burials, or the Public Tree that you've mentioned (as you say it would be very helpful if Dianne could please confirm if this is her tree).

My gut feeling agrees that the above William is not the same man that married Dianne's grandmother Evelyn Davies.

Or have I totally misunderstood this situation ?... as we all know I can be dim at times !

Looks to me that this is a clear case for plotting two family trees, one for Delaney/Davies and one for Delaney/Collicott, and hopefully all will become clearer.

??

UPDATE: I've now split this post which was growing rather long, to remove my COLLICOTT findings to a newer post later in this thread.

J

-------------------------

Not sure if this has already been posted, but for my help, here's Kate's marriage PR:

Record_ID: 82079
Entry_Number: 73
Year: 1928
Day: 9
Grooms_Surname: DELANEY
Grooms_Forenames: William Charles
Grooms_Age: 34
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Crown Employee
Grooms_Residence: Hillersland
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Delaney
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: William
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Crown Employee [deceased]
Brides_Surname: COLLICOTT
Brides_Forenames: Kate

Brides_Age: 26
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Berry Hill
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Collicott
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Thomas Charles
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Master Tailor

Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both Sign
Witness_1: Sydney James Delaney
Witness_2: Elizabeth Annie Collicott
Other_Witnesses: T C Collicott

Officiating_Minister: Albert Hoyle
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P52 IN 1/8
Page_Number: 37
Soundex_Groom: D450
Soundex_Bride: C423

So this William was born abt 1894, father William(dec).

Clearly this is not the same William Delaney (born in 1915) who Slowhands mentioned in the 3rd post in this old thread, altho there are several links (location,occupation etc) which suggest he's related. Slowhands' post doesn't mention this Wm's marriage or death. Oddly FreeBMD doesn't have his Birth record, perhaps as it was in wartime.
http://forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=39608

However FreeBMD does have this Marriage, which seems to place Wm b1915 as Dianne's Grandfather (based on dates/ages);
Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1937 (>99%)
Davis Evelyn M Delaney F. of Dean 6a 1027
Delaney William C Davis F.of Dean 6a 1027

I also found this record on FreeBMD which looks very much like the death of our other William born c1894
Surname Given Name Age District Volume Page Transcriber
Deaths Dec 1964
DELANEY WILLIAM C. 70 GLOUCESTER C. 7B 482 JulieW

The 4th post in the above-mentioned old thread shows that Dianne's mother Gillian Delaney was married in Leeds in 1959, and suggests Gillian's father Wm Chas Delaney married Doris Micklefield in Leeds in 1943, after first wife Evelyn died in Gloster in 1941. I wonder if work or armed forces service took William to Leeds during WW2 where he met Doris (cannot find her Birth on FreeBMD so unsure if this was her home area) and settled there after the war. These records suggest this is indeed the same Wm who died in Leeds in 1984 as per our posts at the top of this current thread.

Apologies to all of you who already understood this, but it's helping me.

J.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 18:08 (2389 days ago) @ Jefff

Looks to me that this is a clear case for plotting two family trees, one for Delaney/Davies and one for Delaney/Collicott, and hopefully all will become clearer.

Hi Jeff,

I did just that and this is clearly two different families. Just a coincidence with the names and a few other facts.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 18:46 (2389 days ago) @ probinson

Thanks PR for confirming that I'm not as dim as usual (or maybe you are too ;-) !.
For ease of future reading I'm now going to edit my previous post, which is getting rather convoluted, and will extract the elements I found about Kate and her COLLICOTT family.

atb J

Kate COLLICOTT b1902 Berry Hill, & family

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 18:48 (2389 days ago) @ Jefff

Not sure if this has already been posted within these threads, but for my help and hopefully other researchers too, here's Kate's marriage PR:

Record_ID: 82079
Entry_Number: 73
Day: 9
Grooms_Surname: DELANEY
Grooms_Forenames: William Charles
Grooms_Age: 34
Grooms_Occupation: Crown Employee
Grooms_Residence: Hillersland
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Delaney
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: William
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Crown Employee [deceased]
Brides_Forenames: Kate

Brides_Age: 26
Brides_Occupation:

Date_of_Banns:
Witness_1: Sydney James Delaney
Witness_2: Elizabeth Annie Collicott
Other_Witnesses: T C Collicott

Officiating_Minister: Albert Hoyle
Memoranda:
Notes:
Page_Number: 37
Soundex_Groom: D450

So this William was born abt 1894, father also William(dec). Both were Crown Employees (aka Forester/woodcutters etc), from Hillersland area.

FreeBMD also has this death which fits his age

Surname Given Name Age District Volume Page Transcriber
Deaths Dec 1964
DELANEY WILLIAM C. 70 GLOUCESTER C. 7B 482 JulieW

I cannot find any PRs for Kate's father Thomas CollicOtt, but there are several PRs for some earlier Thomas CollicUtts in the Ledbury area thro' the 1700s and 1800s.

I cannot find any obvious marriage(in our area) for Thomas Charles Collicott/Collicutt on FreeBMD.

Ref witness Elizabeth Annie Collicott, I had wondered if this was Kate's mother, but now I suspect it's her older sister. Sadly I don't have access to the 1911 Census to confirm this.

FreeBMD has this record, again no PR.

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcribers
Births Mar 1904
Collicott Elizabeth Annie Monmouth 11a 35 iandb
COLLICOTT Elizabeth Annie Monmouth 11a 35 Lee

On first reading the following record I'd assumed she's marrying the other witness Sydney James Delaney a few months after Kate's wedding, but apparently not.

From FreeBMD: ??!:
Marriages Sep 1928 (>99%)
Collicott Elizabeth A Grisedale Monmouth 11a 75
Delaney Sydney J Gwilliam Monmouth 11a 75
Grisedale Thomas Collicott Monmouth 11a 75
Gwilliam Sylvia E Delaney Monmouth 11a 75

From this site's PRs;

Record_ID: 82085
Entry_Number: 79
Month: Jul
Day: 28
Grooms_Surname: GRISEDALE
Grooms_Forenames: Thomas
Grooms_Age: 32
Grooms_Occupation: Chauffeur
Grooms_Residence: Ballingham
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Grisedale
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: John
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Farmer
Brides_Forenames: Elizabeth Annie
Brides_Age: 24
Brides_Occupation:
Date_of_Banns:
Witness_1: T Collicott
Witness_2: K Delaney
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: C L Doddrell
Memoranda: Rector of English Bicknor
Notes:
Page_Number: 40
Soundex_Groom: G623

Meanwhile back to Kate, this looks like her birth, from FreeBMD. :

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcribers
Births Dec 1901
Collicott Kate Monmouth 11a 21 SandraDBrown
COLLICOTT Kate Monmouth 11a 21 LindaAnn

I cannot find any later records for Kate within this site's PRs,or FreeBMD, unless this record is hers (wrong age, perhaps the original record was 56 and was mis-transcribed?).

Deaths Sep 1960 (>99%)
COLLICOTT Kate 86 Gloucester R. 7b 405

I cannot find any Collicott Burials within the FoD Council Cemeteries site.

This looks like another of Kate's sisters, again from this site's PRs;

Record_ID: 82103
Entry_Number: 97
Year: 1930
Month: Dec
Day: 27
Grooms_Surname: BROWN
Grooms_Forenames: Walter John
Grooms_Age: 26
Grooms_Occupation: Pilot RAF
Grooms_Residence: RAF Donibristle Scotland
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Brown
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Timothy
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Stone Mason
Brides_Forenames: Alice Gertrude
Brides_Age: 24
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Berry Hill Glos
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Tailor
Date_of_Banns:
Witness_1: T Brown
Witness_2: T Collicott
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Wyndham Jones
Memoranda:
Notes:
Page_Number: 49
Soundex_Groom: B650

----------------------------------

I've tried searching the old Trade Directories of Coleford, Christchurch, West Dean etc for references to "Thomas Collicott, Master Tailor", but sadly no luck yet.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cbennett/

However, I did find this;

Kelly's Directory of Christchurch 1894.

COMMERCIAL:-

DELANEY William, The Rock P.H.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cbennett/christchurch1894.htm

I guess this maybe Kate's father-in-law William, the father of William Charles Delaney born 1915.
A John Delaney Jr is mentioned in this detailed history of this pub.
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/AllGlosPubsDatabase/RAIGConnection.php?pubid1=1359

??

by shepway @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 19:39 (2389 days ago) @ Jefff

From 1939 Register:
Delaney Household (2 People)
The Mount Hillersland , West Dean R.D., Gloucestershire, England
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
William C Delaney 09 Jan 1894 Male Wood Cutter Forestry Commis Married 34 1
Kate Delaney 05 Oct 1901 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 34 2

William's Baptism:
Year 1894
Month Feb
Day 4
Parents Surname DELEANY
Child Forenames William Charles
Fathers Forenames William
Mothers Forenames Eliza
Mothers Surname
Residence Hiller's Land
Occupation Time keeper
Officiating Minister George Hustler
Event Baptism
Memoranda Twins *
Notes note in left margin Confirm surname spelling as register
Register Reference P138 in 1/5
Page Number 176
Parish Chapel English Bicknor

and his twin brother:
Year 1894
Month Feb
Day 4
Parents Surname DELEANY
Child Forenames Gerorge Ernest
Fathers Forenames William
Mothers Forenames Eliza
Mothers Surname
Residence Hiller's Land
Occupation Time keeper
Officiating Minister Geo. Hustler Rector
Event Baptism
Memoranda Twins *
Notes note in left margin Confirm surname spelling as register
Register Reference P138 in 1/5
Page Number 177
Parish Chapel English Bicknor

Marriage of parents:
Year 1892
Month Jun
Day 6
Grooms Surname DELANEY
Grooms Forenames William
Grooms Age 27
Groom Condition Bachelor
Grooms Occupation Collier
Grooms Residence Hillersland
Grooms Fathers Surname Delaney
Grooms Fathers Forenames George
Grooms Fathers Occupation Collier
Brides Surname DOBBS
Brides Forenames Eliza
Brides Age 28
Brides Condition Spinster
Brides Occupation [not stated]
Brides Residence Hillersland
Brides Fathers Surname Dobbs
Brides Fathers Forenames George
Brides Fathers Occupation Labourer
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns
Signature or Mark Both sign
Witness 1 Henry Smith
Witness 2 Annie Delaney
Other Witnesses None
Officiating Minister C. Barnes Vicar
Event Marriage
Memoranda -
Notes -
Register Reference PFC82 IN 1/7
Page Number 186
Parish Chapel Christchurch

Now to Kate Collicott:

Births Dec 1901
Collicott Kate Monmouth 11a 21

1911 Census:
Name Relation to Head Birth Date Age Gender Marital Status Occupation Birth City Birth County Birth Country Address
Thomas Collicott Head 1875 36 Male Married Tailor Maker Chelmsford Essex England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos
Kate Collicott Wife 1874 37 Female Married Coleford Gloucestershire England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos
Thomas Collicott Son 1898 13 Male Tailor's Apprentice Maidstone Kent England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos
Harry Collicott Son 1900 11 Male School Maidstone Kent England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos
Kate Collicott Daughter 1902 9 Female Coleford Gloucestershire England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos
Annie Collicott Daughter 1904 7 Female Coleford Gloucestershire England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos
Alice Collicott Daughter 1907 4 Female Coleford Gloucestershire England Berry Hill, Coleford, Glos

Marriage of Parents:
Marriages Sep 1897
Collicott Thomas Charles Maidstone 2a 1379
King Kate Maidstone 2a 1379

Kate King's baptism:
Year 1873
Month Nov
Day 27
Parents Surname KING
Child Forenames Kate
Fathers Forenames Henry Rowe
Mothers Forenames Mary
Mothers Surname
Residence Berry Hill
Occupation Quarryman
Officiating Minister W.H. Taylor
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference PFC82 IN 1/4
Page Number 58

Death of Thomas Charles:
Deaths Mar 1943
COLLICOTT Thomas C 67 F.of Dean 6a 399

His burial:
Year 1943
Month Mar
Day 25
Surname COLLICOT
Forenames Thomas Charles
Residence Christchurch Glos
Age at death 67 years
Officiating Minister Wyndham Jones vicar
Event Burial
Cause of death
Memoranda new church yard 4th row No.31 Double depth
Notes
Register Reference P82 IN 1/17
Page No 20

From MI List:
? Thomas Charles 1943 Mar 21 age 67
? Kate, wife, 1960 Jul 2 age 86 surname not on stone unless "CHARLES"

Burial transcripts available up to 1955.

Kate's death:
Deaths Sep 1960
COLLICOTT Kate 86 Gloucester R. 7b 405

Probate:
COLLICOTT Kate of The Almshouses English Bicknor near Coleford Gloucestershire widow died 2 July 1960 at Coney Hill Hospital Barnwood Gloucestershire Probate Gloucester 27 September to Henry Rowe Collicott miner.

Mike

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 20:07 (2389 days ago) @ shepway

Thanks Mike, especially for the 1939 & 1911 records. Can't help noticing that Kate shared her first name with her mother-in-law and her sister-in-law.
Interesting to see this Collicott clan originate from Chelmsford, Essex - my earlier searching in FreeBMD suggested this surname may originate from the South-East esp Essex.
J

-----------

Finally for now; I've found just one Collicott in this site's WW1 Servicemen database. it would appear to be Kate's father Thomas Charles Collicott;

Record_ID: 1015
Year: _
Surname: COLLICOTT
Forename: T C
Regiment: Army Reserve
Service_Number: _
Residence: Berry Hill
Notes_1: Enlisted 01_December_1915 _ _
Notes_2: _
Newspaper: _
Date_Published: _
Image: _
Soundex: C423

The database also includes two Delaneys, it seems likely that these are our William Charles Delaney and his twin brother George Ernest, both born 1894, as mentioned by Mike Shepway in the previous post;

Record_ID: 1371
Forename: William
Regiment: 2nd Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment
Residence: Christchurch
Notes_1: _

Record_ID: 1370
Forename: George
Regiment: 2nd Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment
Residence: Christchurch
Notes_1: _

We've already covered William's marriage, to Kate in 1928.

FreeBMD has this partial record which appears to be brother George's:

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1935 (>99%)
Delaney George E Bloxham Monmouth 11a 83

From which we can find his bride
Surname Given Name Spouse District Volume Page
Marriages Jun 1935
Bloxham Elizabeth Delaney Monmouth 11a 85

Cannot find an "obvious" birth record for Elizabeth, not a rare name but none in our area. However can find one child;

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Dec 1935 (>99%)
Delaney George R Bloxham Monmouth 11a 30

(GlosBMD gives second name as Rex)

But sadly;
Record_ID: 263909
Entry_Number:
Year: 1938
Month: Feb
Day: 15
Surname: DELANY
Forenames: George Rex
Residence: St Lucy Hosp Longford
Age_at_death: 2
Officiating_Minister: Wyndham Jones vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P82 IN 1/16
Page_No: 73

I cannot find any more definite records for Elizabeth on FreeBMD or in PRs, but do find

Deaths Dec 1965 (>99%)
DELANEY GEORGE E 71 F.OF DEAN 7B 442

--------

Ref little George's death at "St Lucy Longford, I've never heard of this hospital before, so thought I'd look-up it's interesting history.

"CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL.

In 1866 a free hospital for children of the poor was begun next to St. Lucy's Home of Charity between Kingsholm and Longford. The home, a converted villa east of the Tewkesbury road, was occupied by the sisters of St. Lucy, an Anglican community founded in 1864 by Thomas Gambier Parry of Highnam to train nurses and tend the sick in their homes. By 1866 the sisters, who were sent to many parts of the country, nursed some patients in the home. Gambier Parry also conceived the idea for the children's hospital in connexion with the home and paid much of the building costs. The hospital, a brick building designed by William Jacques, opened in 1867 with 22 beds. Children of the poor from any distance were admitted and out-patients were treated at a house in Bell Lane. The hospital was supported by subscriptions and donations.

In 1872 the sisters of St. John the Baptist from Clewer (Berks.) took over the work of the sisters of St. Lucy. In 1876 Gambier Parry moved the home to a large house at the corner of Hare Lane and Pitt Street. The new home included a ward for fee-paying incurables from 1885 and adjoined the hospitals out-patient department, which occupied that building, known as College Gardens, from 1873 to 1905, when a new dispensary opened in the hospital's grounds. In 1921 the sisters gave up their work at the hospital and the management committee made new arrangements, introducing payments for patients' keep according to means. Further changes in management came in 1928 when the Clewer sisters resumed their work, and from 1929 children sent by the Gloucestershire Royal Infirmary were admitted. The Clewer sisters were succeeded at the hospital in 1939 by the nursing sisters of St. John the Divine from Deptford (Kent). In 1941 accommodation was increased but in 1947 the hospital was closed and sold to the city corporation. The proceeds of the sale supported a fund for the relief of sick children. In 1951 the charity of George Peters, who by will proved 1909 had provided a bed in the hospital, was added to the fund, which in 1971 had an income of £2,000. The hospital, which was used by the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital as a nurses' home until the mid 1970s, was demolished in 1979. St. Lucy's Home was closed in 1933 following the withdrawal of the Clewer sisters."

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol4/pp269-275#h3-0005

Daniel William Davies RMLI; contacting Staunton Church

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 22:40 (2389 days ago) @ shepway

Daniel William Davies - Buried English Bicknor on 6 February 1916
He is listed on Commonwealth War Graves Commission website so there should be a headstone. The following is from cwgc.org -
Private
DAVIES, DANIEL WILLIAM
Service Number PLY/852(S)
Died 03/02/1916
Aged 22
2nd R.M. Bn. R.N. Div.
Royal Marine Light Infantry
Son of Mrs. Hannah Davies, of Hillersland, Coleford, Glos; husband of Lily May Davies, of Mordiford, Hereford.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I've just googled Daniel RMLI and find we covered him in some detail in 2014, his grave is indeed marked,sorry I didn't remember sooner.
Chris Howell posted
"I stumbled, by accident, upon DWD's grave which is on the North side of English Bicknor church; (I do not think his name is listed anywhere else except perhaps on the Royal Naval memorials in Plymouth or Portsmouth). At that time the grave was covered with brambles, weeds and tree branches and was lost to view unless someone was searching closely. I uncovered the stone, recorded the details and placed his name in Coleford."

and Bill Webb added
"Daniel William Davies is listed on the War Memorial at Goodrich, his mother's family lived at Colwall, Huntsham/English Bicknor and before that at Bridstow."

Diane has seen the relevant thread http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=43865

More details and photos of the Goodrich War Memorial here:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32843
https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/91493/

---------------

Re the burials in Staunton All Saints, I suggest Diane contacts the church in advance of her visit, perhaps they will be able to assist in locating the graves.
https://www.achurchnearyou.com/staunton-all-saints/

also http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/GLS463.php

For background info see
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/StauntonColeford/Gaz1868

It maybe a little late to order by post now, but Diane could perhaps stop-off at Gloucester Archives en-route to the Forest to buy the GFHS cd that you mentioned, see
http://gfhs.org.uk/products-page/cddvd/monumental-inscription-2003-2/

----------------

Finally, thought I'd mention that I've just stumbled across this image of the beautiful War Memorial inside Staunton All Saints, it has the following names, William Ebborn AMBURY and William Edmund BARNETT.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-war-memorial-in-all-saints-church-staunton-forest-of-d...

According to this site's WW1 Servicemen database, William Ambury served in the same unit as Daniel Davies.

Surname: AMBURY
Forename: William Ebbon
Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry 2nd Royal Marine Battalion
Service_Number: PO/2071/S
Residence: Staunton
Notes_1: KIA 14 July 1918 Remembered or Buried in Valenciennes (St Roch) Communal Cemetery V C 3

R.I.P.

RSS Feed of thread