Oaklands Park: Gardeners and other staff (General)

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 12:39 (2353 days ago)

One particular focus of my research into the Oaklands estate has been the gardeners, for a project we are running at Oaklands garden. I have been able to identify some of the gardeners who have worked on the estate and am researching their lives (where possible!):

1841: George Godin (Godwin) – probably from Herefordshire
1851: Henry White – from Northamptonshire
1871: Charles Smith (from Herefordshire), his son William Smith and William Sims (possibly born in Awre; moved to Llanelly)
1881: Thomas Postians (from Herefordshire; moved to Llanelly) and Thomas Smith (son of Charles Smith above)
1891: Mark Hall
c.1901-1927/28: James Gill Pavey – from Devon; retired to Newport (I have been in touch with his descendant, Judith, who has contributed to this forum, and she has very kindly sent me a photo of James.)
1901: George James Eveleigh – from Devon; he had returned there by 1911
c.1909-c.1913: William Charles Redfern – from London; I think he ended up in Cheltenham
c.1920-1917: James Baylis – from Kempley; he was 65 in 1911 and died c.1917.
1930-1973: James Sidney Bowkett – born in Blaisdon; he died in 1980.
1932-1971: Frederick John Jaynes – born in Soudley, died in 1971; his father, Hubert, was head gardener at The Haie. I think there are descendants of Hubert still in the Forest area.

(The dates in bold above are the years when they are recorded as being gardeners at Oaklands according to censuses and/or electoral rolls.)

I will also be looking at the other staff listed in censuses.

I would be interested to know anything about anyone who worked at Oaklands and to see any photographs that might exist of any aspect of Oaklands.

Many thanks
Stephanie

Oaklands Park, nr Soudley/Newnham: Gardeners and other staff

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, October 20, 2017, 00:40 (2352 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Hi Stephanie,
I wholeheartedly commend your efforts researching these people. For the sake of this forum, can we assume you've completed the routine "family-tree" census & BMD researches for them ? I ask as there's a lot of names hence potential work here, and it would be good for us to try and fill-out the gaps in your researches, but without wasting time and effort retracing old ground that you've already covered. Similarly I presume you've already searched this forum for related prior threads ?. Please can you more clearly define any specific queries you have, and so help us to best help you ?
Many thanks, Jeff.

eg prior related threads include
http://forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=23415
http://forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=48169
http://forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=22219

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 12:48 (2351 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff

In answer to your question, yes, I have seen all the related threads on the forum, and have been in contact with Judith in particular.

I have researched the owners of Oaklands extensively using Google, British History Online, Ancestry (censuses, Land Tax Records, electoral rolls); 1939 Register and newspapers (Find My Past); deeds and a biography of Sir James Jelf (written by his great-grandson) deposited at Gloucestershire Archives. Research at Gloucestershire Archives is ongoing.

I have researched the gardeners listed in my original post quite extensively using censuses, electoral rolls and newspapers, as above.

I think what I was hoping for from this post is names of gardeners not on the list (as Mike has provided), and (a shot in the dark, I know) information from any descendants of anyone who worked on the estate - anything in addition to a rather dry list of dates that will give the story a bit of 'colour'.

For example, I have discovered that Sir Evan Gwynne-Evans (owner 1927-1959) represented Great Britain at Wimbledon from 1904 to 1914, and that his younger son was a professional singer (stage name Francis Loring) - I found his obituary online. I have found that the The Tatler (via Find My Past) has a few photos of the Gwynne-Evans family.

I believe the Dean Heritage Museum in Soudley holds some photos of Oaklands and am planning to go there at some point.

So, I don't have a question as such - just a hope that the subject of Oaklands will trigger some memories of family stories/photos.

Fingers crossed ...

Stephanie

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 03:00 (2350 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Thanks very much for confirming that Stephanie, very helpful indeed. Sorry for asking but I'm sure you can see my thinking.
I do wish you all the best with this.
yours Jeff

Oaklands Park: Gardeners and other staff

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 11:17 (2351 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Here’s another name, an under-gardener,

BNA Hereford Times - Saturday 12 December 1857

Newnham Petty Sessions, Monday.
Stealing Potatoes.— George Virgo, of the parish of Awre, gardener, was brought up in custody, charged with having on Monday, the 6th inst., at the Oaklands Park, stolen a quantity of potatoes and a glass bottle, the property of Henry Crawshay, Esq. Mr. Crawshay deposed that on Sunday he was walking in his park, when he saw Virgo, who is his under-gardener, and has been employed by him from a boy going across the park in the direction of his house …………………………………………..

This one might have been an Oaklands Park gardener looking to move on,

Hereford Times - Saturday 26 August 1882

WANTED, Situation as SECOND GARDENER in gentleman’s establishment. Seven and half years’ good experience. Good character Bothy preferred.-E. Davies The Gardens, Oaklands Park, Newnham Park, Gloucestershire

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 12:18 (2351 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you, Mike - two more names to add to the list.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 16:49 (2350 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Given the proximity to Oaklands Park and the fact that they style themselves “servants” these two might be a possibility as well. However, The Haie is not far away so they could belong there.

GR 1861 Census, Parish of Awre, Hulins House

Arthur SHUDWICK, Head, Mar, 36, Gardener Serv, b. Surrey, Witley
Sarah, Wife, Mar, 39, Essex, Finley
George, Son, 7, Glostersh, Newnham
Olive, Daur, 1, Glostersh, Awre
John BAILEY, Serv, Widr, 36, Under Gardener Serv, Glostersh, Tirley

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Monday, October 23, 2017, 13:47 (2349 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you, Mike. I think you are right that he was probably a gardener at The Haie, as I understand that Hulins was owned by the Rev. Jones, owner of The Haie. I have seen a map of the Oaklands estate in 1895 and it didn't extend that far to the north.

‘… Hulin's Farm, on the north boundary, (fn. 120) was named from the Hulin or Huling family which bought it, with the adjoining Hulin's wood, in 1682. The Hulins sold their farm in 1820 to the Revd. Edward Jones, (fn. 121) owner of the adjoining Hayhill estate in Newnham, (fn. 122) …’
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp14-46

In 1820, Sir James Jelf negotiated to purchase land from the Rev. Edward Jones, Joshua Hulin and John Knowles into order to build a road from the main Newnham-Blakeney road to the house at Oaklands, at a cost of £214 6 shillings. This is the current entrance drive to Oaklands from Lower Lodge on the A48. (from deeds held at Gloucestershire Archives)

Stephanie

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, October 28, 2017, 18:45 (2343 days ago) @ stephaniejr

This could be one more,

BNA Cheltenham Chronicle - Saturday 08 September 1894

ALLEGED HORSE-STEALING. —At the police court at Newnham, on Monday morning, before Mr Arnold Thomas, Peter McLean, 19, general labourer, of no fixed abode, who said he belonged to London, was brought up, charged by P.C. Jackson with the theft of a horse on the 8th inst., value £18, the property of Charles Stubbs, gardener, in the employ of Mrs Henry Crawshay, of Oaklands Lodge , Blakeney………………………………………………

GR 1901 Census, Civil Parish of Awre, Blakeney Parish, Church Sq.

Charles STUBBS, Head, Widr, 45, Gardener, b. Blaize Bailey, Glos.
George, 22, Farmer, Blakeney, Glos.
Margaret, Daur, S, 15, Blakeney, Glos.
Caroline BEVAN, M-in-Law, 60, Housekeeper, Longhope, Glos.
Elizabeth MARTIN, Boarder, S, 34, Mother’s help domestic, Cheltenham, Glos.
George BRIGHT, Boarder, S, 28, Grocer’s Assistant, Awre, Glos.

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Friday, November 03, 2017, 13:14 (2338 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you, Mike.

by Anne Martin, Friday, November 03, 2017, 22:31 (2337 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Dear Stephanie =I believe that my Ancestors worked at Oaklands Park. Joseph and Ephraim Fenner were Farm Bailiffs. They lived at Bullo Pill, Brains Green and Awre.
I have no photos at all and would be grateful if you have any knowledge of this family. Thank you Kind regards Anne Martin

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 15:49 (2329 days ago) @ Anne Martin

Hi Anne

The name doesn't Fenner doesn't ring a bell immediately, but I will see what I can find in my notes. I haven't looked in detail at the farm workers yet.

Can you give me any rough dates?

Regards
Stephanie

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 20:22 (2329 days ago) @ stephaniejr

If it’s any help Ephraim Fenner, bailiff, was recorded in the BNA Gloucester Citizen - Monday 01 December 1879 - as one of the pallbearers at the funeral of Henry Crawshay in 1879.

He is also recorded in the BNA Gloucester Citizen - Saturday 03 December 1881 as an informant in a case of trespassing on the lands of Mrs CRAWSHAY in pursuit of game…………..

Later (1904) he seems to have been employed at Elmbridge Court.

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 14:12 (2317 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike. The report of the funeral is interesting. I have only been able to find Ephraim Fenner as a farm bailiff in relation to Hulins Farm.

Stephanie

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 15:11 (2317 days ago) @ Anne Martin

Hi Anne

I haven't found much about the Fenners and their links to Oaklands. What I have found I expect you already have.

I have found Joseph listed as a farm bailiff in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, and as a farm bailiff living at Oaklands Farm on the baptism record of his son Joseph in 1849.

I have found Ephraim listed on numerous occasions as a farm bailiff, and once as a farm bailiff living at Hulins Farm (baptism record of his children Walter and Ellen in 1875). Interesting that he was a pall bearer at the funeral of Henry Crawshay in 1879 (see Mike's message). Hulins Farm is next to Oaklands but was not part of the estate. Maybe he performed this duty because of the close family links to Oaklands (and I believe his father Joseph died in 1874?).

Regards
Stephanie

by MV, Friday, April 17, 2020, 14:57 (1441 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Hello Stepahnie

I have just spotted the research you have been doing about Oaklands Park gardeners and other staff: really interesting. Did you ever complete your list of gardeners, and others, for Oaklands Park? I am researching the history of the Bledisloe area of Awre, specifically where people worked and what they did in the 1800s and 1900s. The significant farms and houses of the area, such as Oaklands Park, The Haie and Hulins are of partiocular interest, as they would likely have employed quite a few local people. I am interested in the names of gardeners, servants, labourers, in fact all workers at such places going back to the 1900s and earlier if possible. Can you help please?

Regards.

Mr V.

by Margaret Pirnie, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 16:58 (1136 days ago) @ stephaniejr

Hi Stephanie
Just came on your posts re staff at Oaklands Park. I don’t know if you are still researching but thought I would send you this info anyway. My great aunt and Uncle were employed at Oaklands for many years as cook and butler to lord and lady Gwynne Evans. I don’t know exactly when they started but think it might be in the 1940’s and were there until my uncle’s death in 1965. They were Fred and Lizzie Grimmet. I used to spend my holidays there as a child and remember a couple of other names such as a Mrs Organ and Peggy, both I think worked in the kitchens there. I was able to make a visit there a few years back and was given a guided tour by one of the staff members. So pleased to relive the happy times spent there, if you need to contact me further feel free to do so.

RSS Feed of thread