Buried plot in Christchurch parish church. (General)

by Bridewell @, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 12:41 (2368 days ago)

I am trying to find my Grandmothers grave in the grave yard. I have been to the Gloucestershire archives, who told me the parish burial book is at Christchurch parish church, the helpful Mr Trevor Harvey, showed me the book, with her name and details the grave yard map showed the name and row number, but l was still unable to find her. I also want to find my grandfather who is also in the same grave yard. My sister has written to the the Reverend Tony Williams unfortunately he was unable to help me.Can anyone help us of the correct way to proceed or take another route.

Thank you
Bridewell

Buried plot in Christchurch parish church.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 13:43 (2368 days ago) @ Bridewell

Hi Bridewell,
I don't know this particular graveyard at all at first hand, bar the photos on this website and other online images, so please excuse my ignorance.
Please clarify or confirm the following;
I think you're saying Mr Trevor Harvey was at/near the Church itself in Coleford, and not at Gloster Archives, presumably the same man who helped write this http://www.christchurchfod.org.uk/cguide.html
Oops I now see he's the Churchwarden, sorry ! http://www.christchurchfod.org.uk/team.html
So clearly you've already done the right things and seen the "local experts" including the vicar and best of all had access to a graveyard map etc.

I presume you then searched the graveyard pre-armed with this information, presumably you were able to locate the approximate area of the graveyard where the book indicates your grandmother was buried ?. Are there other graves nearby - if so were they also on the map ?. I ask as this could help ensure the map is correct and you're correctly interpreting both the map and the book regarding plot number etc; i.e. ensuring you were indeed searching the right area based on comparing against other referencing "landmark" graves nearby ? How confident/experienced was Mr Harvey with the accuracy of the map, and interpreting the plot reference numbers, sometimes these aren't as logical as it may seem ?

In the apparent absence of your grandmother's grave, I'd want to search for other graves, especially those whose burials were recorded on the same page as your grandmother as they were presumably at the same time and the same part of the grave yard. This might then indicate if an apparent unmarked gap between marked graves was hers, for example.

Do you know if the grave was marked with a stone ?. If yes, is it likely to have become eroded and unreadable with time, compared to others nearby ?. It's not as if it's a particularly ancient one, but some stones do suffer from the frosts etc... ??

Is the part of the graveyard where you looked still in good order - not overgrown, grave stones in place, etc ?. Were other stones readable, assuming they were a similar age ?.

It might well help if you can please post the burial details here; especially as the current weather is so good if anyone lives locally they might enjoy a wander thro the graveyard before wet weather arrives (sadly I'm not local at all).

Are you local to Coleford area ?.

Many thanks Jeff.

by Bridewell @, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 14:56 (2368 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for all the information you have kindly posted.
Our Grandmother died in 1961 so as to the state of a headstone it is highly unlikely that it has eroded. We have found other headstones with the family name on in row 20 which came courtesy from a sort of map that the church warden had.
The problem we have is that her name Mary Eliza Townsend was registered in the burial book which is kept in the church, it says her name , when she died, the number in the book so we have assumed that she is buried there.

The churchyard has been neglected in the past so this also causes problems, I do not live in Gloucestershire although a couple of my siblings do but are of advancing years.

All I want to do is to find her grave and pay my respects and to put a headstone up if there is none so that my grandchildren will know where there ancestors came from and the proud heritage of the Free miners and Gloucestershire.

by shepway @, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 14:16 (2368 days ago) @ Bridewell

Could you provide the name(s) of the person(s) you seek please.

Mike

by Bridewell @, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 14:43 (2368 days ago) @ shepway

Dear Shepway,
My sister and I are looking for the grave of our Grandmother Mary Eliza Townsend, who died 12th September 1961.
In the burial book which is kept in the church it shows her name so we believe she is buried in the churchyard but we can find no grave. Our Ancestors we believe are in row 20 and perhaps the fallen stone has her name on the back but unless we get it raised we cannot confirm this.

Any information would be greatly received.

She may have been buried with her husband Thomas Milson Townsend, Date of Death 8th April 1923 who was a free miner but we have yet to find any information on him either.

by shepway @, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 15:14 (2368 days ago) @ Bridewell

Dear Bridewell,
Indications are that there is a no Headstone. There is a database on the site for Christchurch Memorials:
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/resources/memorial-inscriptions
This database does not include Memorials in the new section (the furthest point away from the gate) but I have a list and having searched both I find none listed for your Grandparents.
I have also taken the opportunity to check the Burial database and find that Thomas Milson is listed but not correctly and will need to be checked:
Year 1923
Month Apr
Day 11
Surname TOWNSEND
Forenames William
Residence Bridewell
Age at death 46
Officiating Minister E S Morton
Event Burial
Cause of death
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P82 IN 1/16
Page No 26
Parish Chapel Christchurch

The burial database includes burials up to 1955.

As had been suggested by Jeff it would be helpful to establish the names of those buried either side of your grandparents to assist in pinpointing the position of the grave.

Mike

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 18:01 (2368 days ago) @ shepway

In the unlikely case you've not spotted it Mike, we discussed Thomas earlier this year, but despite MPG mentioning "Bridewell" and his widow Mary Eliza wrt probate records, his burial records were uncertain.
see http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=48222

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, November 01, 2017, 19:04 (2368 days ago) @ shepway

The burial entry has been checked against the original and the forename should read Millsom Townsend. The database has therefore been updated.
Admin

RSS Feed of thread