Brick wall finding birth record for Henry GURNEY (General)

by Rossgee, New Zealand, Monday, November 13, 2017, 22:17 (2354 days ago)

I have returned to Forest of Dean Family history for help.
I still cannot find any reference to a birth for Henry Gurney (with one exception where there is an unsubstantiated link to Dymock.
Gurneys are referenced in Newent, Dymock and Kempley, so it is clearly a place to search.
Can anyone help please? Is it common, likely that a birth is not officially recorded?
I have tried various spellings. The birth year is either 1768 or 69.
Using Findmypast I have used a wildcard for first name and obtained a list of 16 Gurneys but all show death dates but not birth dates, and none have the firstname Henry. Henry is recorded as marrying Phebe Perkins in 1799 in St Mary, Kempley.
How can one identify parents for Henry?
Appreciate any kind assistance from more experienced researchers than me.

Brick wall finding birth record for Henry GURNEY

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, November 13, 2017, 23:18 (2354 days ago) @ Rossgee

Hi and welcome back Rossgee,
to prevent repeating past researches, please can the forum note this prior thread from 2010, thanks.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=26017

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 11:28 (2354 days ago) @ Jefff

Just to recap

William & Hester GURNEY - six children christened at Kempsey

1761 - Letitia
1762 - William
1768 - Joseph
1769 - Jane (****)
1774 - Ann
1777 - Betty

----

On Ancestry, William GURNEY died in 1799 - but didn't leave a leave, just two pages of Adminstration - which names his Wife Hester, but also a Son named JOHN - (two of the next of kin)

----

England & Wales Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills

John GURNEY - 14 April 1823, Yeoman of Kempley

Leaves; Emphraim BLEWETT in the Town of Rofs - most of his belongings + mentions his daughter Maria GURNEY (SLADE) - who will inherit money when she reaches the age of 30

----

Marriage at Kempley - 20 March 1796

Emphraim BLEWITT - Bachelor, residence: Ross in the County and diocese of Hereford
Jane GURNEY - Spinster, residence: Kempley

by Licence (on this website: William GURNEY was a bondman)

witnesses: Robert POWELL and John BAYLISS

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 14:58 (2354 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

'Quote' from previous thread

A letter from the Gloucestershire County Archivist, Brian SMITH in 1979, reported three other children of Henry & Phebe (which the member couldn't find on the Forest of Dean records...

George 1815 (listed as George GUERNEY - 18 June 1815) on Forest of Dean records - Kempley

Edward 1817 (listed as Edward GARNEY - 7 December 1817 ) on Forest of Dean records - Kempley

Maria 1821 (Ancestry: Mima GURNEY/Mirma, Forest of Dean records) - 28 January 1821, Henry (labourer) & Pheebe - residence, Kempley - at Dymock

--

There are the occasional Non-conformist baptisms including

John GURNEY christed 12 July 1776 at Gloucester Independent - Southgate Street, Chapel, parents: John & Elizabeth

by Rossgee, New Zealand, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 07:59 (2279 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you MPGriffiths. You have effectively reminded me of other sources of relevant information. What is quite frustrating from this distance is that the FOD records tend to be the most extensive, and that there were numerous Gurneys scattered all through the Forest and into neighbouring areas. I have tried to sort out which ones belong where - but it is far from easy.

Besides the William and Hester that you named there are several other families that could potentially be Henry's close relatives. And the earliest Gurneys in the Forest, dating back to 1538 were in Longdon or Ledbury. A general search of FOD parish registers does not throw up any Henry that could be a possibility. Hence I am thinking he came from out of county.
There were certainly Gurneys in Hereford. Buckinghamshire was also a Gurney stronghold - and of course Norfolk.

I am building a tree in MyHeritage - and even with its millions of records, it throws up no Henrys that look even remotely possible. Clearly I need to be more creative in my searching or have some other leads from family - you appear to be an experienced family researcher. WOuld be grateful for any shared wisdom and suggestions.

I wonder if there are any other Gurneys who are doing research - could we share experiences?

Most appreciative

Ross

by Brian Meek @, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 12:44 (2279 days ago) @ Rossgee

Not sure if its of any use, but I have 1st cousins Gurneys born Ross on Wye and Weston under Penyard. It may well be that the records you need are in Herefordshire.

by suehampshire, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 19:16 (1529 days ago) @ Rossgee

Hi....may have contacted you before but have now resumed my Gurney search as on TV today featured the ancient church at Kempley
I went there years ago and it was amazing to think my ancestors may have been married there. My mother’s mother was Beatrice Gurney and I have traced her ancestors to 1769 when Henry Gurney was born. He marries Phebe Perkins in 1799 and died in 1820 age 51. Phebe was born in Kempley in 1777 and died in 1847.

That is as far back as I got. My grandmother died before I was born, and lived in Rochdale Lancashire where I grew up. Interested to know how your line matches

Best Wishes

Sue Greene
Winchester

RSS Feed of thread