Your Guidelines, Terms & Conditons, Copyright, Privacy etc. (General)

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 10:20 (2304 days ago)

Re printing, scanning, copying photographs of transcribed parish records and more of your content directly to commercial genealogical websites without annotation/permission to/from your website. I can't help but notice this and feel uncomfortable about it.

Careless/illegal? I keep a large public family tree on a commercial website. I'd like to have your views please?

Also - web browsers. I use google chrome which states your website is insecure.
How safe is your website to browse, make use of, please? Are people taking a risk when searching your website for family details because usage is FREE?

Your Guidelines, Terms & Conditons, Copyright, Privacy etc.

by rsligi @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 14:42 (2303 days ago) @ Gillymott

re keeping a family tree on a commercial web site > my family tree is of an unique surname, any one with it is of our tree since Napoleon for tax reasons had all surnames in his empire registered and spelt the same > my ancestor spelt it in a traditional way while every other family with a similar surname were spelt slightly different. One Dutch relative kept this tree (and photographs) on the open web so anyone could access it and add to it. It meant that anyone could find my mother, her maiden name etc etc all which form part of security for many sites, financial or otherwise. I and some other relations questioned the security of this but the web page owner was a programmer and at that time to get a web page done was new technology. It ended with his own details being used to forge official documents and actual access to a financial account because one of his passwords was linked to a former relative. It is now private but I am sure there is so much info on Genealogy sites that hackers would find this a goldmine???
I am very aware of this and try not to give to much info to others unless I totally trust where they will use it and have cautioned my children and grandchildren of the family book that they have all been given.

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, January 01, 2018, 13:20 (2300 days ago) @ Gillymott

The whole philosophy of the FoD website has been to make information available free of charge to users. We do not make any imagery available, but it is true that with a little effort a commercial website could obtain copies of our transcripts and publish them. All we ask is that the source and our copyright is acknowledged.
As to the site's security we are not aware of any problems, but if users are concerned they can choose not to use the site. We take all reasonable steps to make sure the site is secure and this includes keeping the software up to date. Personal data of our users stored on our servers is limited to the information users include in their profile. The minimum required is Email address, Username and password which is encrypted.
We all give of our time freely without reward, do the best we can within our capabilities and seek professional assistance where appropriate.
Admin

by rsligi @, Monday, January 01, 2018, 17:49 (2299 days ago) @ admin

Eh-ummm, No criticism of this site was intended in any way. My previous reply was to the general question asked by* Gillymot" and related to a previous experience on another genealogy web site and in no way reflects on this site. It was the unique spelling of a surname that led to the problem and I would add that due to this I have had issues with a large banks credit card a few years ago where they upgraded my card and without informing me posted it out, it was intercepted at their post out and the new pin was intercepted a few days later in the same way and someone had a weekend away with it before my statement arrived. How simple was that for an inside job!!! I was not informed how but whilst sorting it out the card company operative inadvertently left the phone line open and I could hear the conversation at the other end,

In no way was I implying this site is lacking the security required but ALL persons researching or giving information ref genealogy have to appreciate the risks involved.

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, January 01, 2018, 18:12 (2299 days ago) @ rsligi

Thank you for your contribution to this thread and our apologies if we have caused any offence. Our comments were in response to the post by Gillymott and not in any way directed at you.
Admin

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 09:07 (2299 days ago) @ admin

It seems that I may have opened a 'can of worms' it was not my intention to do so.
People are making photographic copies, mostly of your parish transcript details without referencing their source or to where they obtained the information from when posting to other websites even when some of the other websites, eg. commercial websites, make provision for people to reference.
It is misleading, careless and does not appear to follow the Guidelines on this website.
I bring it to your attention and to all members because of the lack of 'community respect'
that some people appear to have when tracing their family tree(s).

by rsligi @, Monday, January 08, 2018, 17:43 (2292 days ago) @ admin

I have absolutely no issues with this site, most of my family are on it, I think I got the issue that Gillimot was referring to wrong in the original thread. Incidentally Gillimot my family are one of the Williams from St B.

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 10:41 (2292 days ago) @ Gillymott

I've been trying to reply to your message rsgli re your family Williams of St B. Keep getting,
no authorisation. My mother's maiden name is Preest, also loads of connections to the Forest & St B from my father's side of the family, should I start a new thread? I love this site, I use
it a lot and always reference any sources I might take from the website, it doesn't take a minute and it brings people to the site. My personal gripe I suppose, it doesn't hurt to share, so selfish not to I believe.

by ChrisW @, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 17:05 (2291 days ago) @ Gillymott

"My personal gripe I suppose, it doesn't hurt to share, so selfish not to I believe".

Believe what you like, but it doesn't mean that anyone has to agree with you!

Researching and building a family tree is a personal journey of discovery. No-one HAS to share their findings with anyone else unless they CHOOSE to.

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 13:03 (2291 days ago) @ ChrisW

and you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine.
I think you are extremely rude to express your opinion in this way.
I hope admin. takes note!

--
P F Willmott

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 13:13 (2291 days ago) @ Gillymott

I will take no further emails for this thread.

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 13:35 (2291 days ago) @ Gillymott

We refer to Posting Guidelines and in particular sections headed:
Keep to Forest of Dean People and Places
and
Be kind and polite in your posting

We have nothing further to add other than to say "This thread is now closed and locked."
Admin

RSS Feed of thread