John WORGAN (General)

by dave051366 @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 21:23 (2306 days ago)

Hi, I am looking for a birth year of a John Worgan, unsure of his birthplace, his wife was Prudence and they had a son named William born in Yorkley F.O.D in 1750, I have a John Worgan in my tree born in English Bicknor 1691, could this be Williams father, as he would have been 59 when he fathered William, any help would be appreciated, thank you, Dave

John WORGAN born c1700, wife Prudence, Western FoD.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 23:24 (2306 days ago) @ dave051366

Hi,
to avoid anyone re-treading old ground on this query, please note that it's already been discussed in some detail on these prior threads.

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=36445

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=35462

Hoping this helps.

by obscurasky @, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 16:21 (2302 days ago) @ Jefff

I'm also interested in any information on Mary Worgan, as her name is in our deeds. It appears she was from Poolway, Nr Coleford and, given the early date, there's a good chance that this is the same family as John. The only other information I have on her is that she sold some property in Parkend to John Keare (also Kear) in 1785.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 17:27 (2302 days ago) @ obscurasky

Could this be her death notice? The implication is that she was a WORGAN by marriage.

Gloucester Journal - Monday 07 December 1801

DIED. On the 22nd of November, Mrs. Mary Worgan, of Poolway, near Coleford, in this county, aged 78 years; a character well known in the religious world for her piety, zeal, and benevolence, and whose loss is sensibly felt and much regretted by all who knew her.

Ancestry has the will of a Mary WORGAN of Coleford in the Parish of Newland (made 2nd April 1791, proved 6th May 1802). In it she mentions “my Capital Messuage wherein I now dwell called Poolway”, husband John WORGAN, deceased, daughters Ann and Elizabeth WORGAN and Thomas WORGAN, deceased, called late RICHARDSON.

by obscurasky @, Sunday, January 07, 2018, 01:52 (2302 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks for this Mike. It could be either, difficult to tell without more info. I'll read the deed again to see if there's any more email on her.

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, January 07, 2018, 12:07 (2302 days ago) @ obscurasky

Looking at the National Archives and held by Gloucestershire Archives

Reference: D4493/17

Date: 1822

COPY MORTGAGE FROM LARWILL TO ELIZABETH HOULBRIDGE (1) LAZARUS BRIAN LARWILL OF LOWER EASTON, ST

Berry Hill and Poolway Estates. Pool way Estates, tithing of Coleford.

Copy mortage from LARWILL to
Elizabeth HOULDBRIDGE (1)
Lazarus Brian LARWILL of Lower Eastonb, St George's Parish (2)
Mary his wife (nee WORGAN) - grand-daughter of William WORGAN of Whitecleeve

---

Reference: D1833/T5
Date: 1826

MESSAGE AND LAND AT WYEGATE, NEWLAND; include abstract of Title (1788-91) copy will of John....

ROOKE family. DEEDS. Newland and St Briavels.
Messuage and land at WYEGATE, NEWLAND:
inludes abstract of title (1778-91); copy wills of
John WORGAN of Poolway, Newland, 1780, proved 1783; Mary WORGAN of Coleford, widow, 1791 proved 1802, which

---

John WORGAN Will 1783 on Ancestry - just reading, very clear handwriting (written in his own hand)

So far, daughter; Mary LARWILL

daughters:
Ann WORGAN - leaving her money left by her Grandfather DEW
Elizabeth WORGAN - (will be dealt with by her Uncle John DEW or George DEW of Hunstham

his later father-in-law was Mr John DEWS

and mentions one son, William WORGAN

witnesses: George/John/Alice WHITE

---

The will of John DEW of Coleford 1777 - mentioned at the end are the names: John DEW and John WORGAN. Talks about his wife Sarah, and son John. Daughter Mary WORGAN and grand-daughters, Elizabeth & Ann WORGAN

by obscurasky @, Sunday, January 07, 2018, 15:59 (2301 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I've read my deeds again and John is listed as her husband. The opening paragraph reads;

"This indenture, made the twenty sixth day of February in the twenty fifth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the third by the grace of God of Great Britain France and Ireland, King, Defender of the faith and so forth, and in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty five Between Mary Worgan of Poolway in the parish of Newland in the county of Gloucester, widow and also surviving Devise named in the last will and testament of John Worgan, Gentleman ??? late husband and Deceased of the one part and of John Keare of Parkend in the Forest of Dean in the said county of Gloucester, coalminer, of the other part."

by obscurasky @, Sunday, January 07, 2018, 16:02 (2301 days ago) @ obscurasky

dave051366 is it possible your John had more than one wife?

by dave051366 @, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 17:33 (2299 days ago) @ obscurasky

Hi and thank you so much for your reply, yes it could be possible, the John Worgan in my tree would have been married to Prudence and had a son William who was born in 1750 in Yorkley, William went on to marry Mary Mutloe. The John Worgan I have was born in 1691, I was just wondering if he was from another generation of is it possible that I have the right John, thank you. Regards Dave

by dave051366 @, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 17:39 (2299 days ago) @ obscurasky

Wow thank you so much for this

by dave051366 @, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 17:36 (2299 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you so much for your reply, il look int this, thanks again kind regards Dave

RSS Feed of thread