Preest family, Moseley Green (General)

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 11:05 (2270 days ago)

My mother was born in Moseley Green on 19 August 1909, she had one sister & 4 brothers.
Some members of the family lived in the Barracks. The properties my mother's family lived in
were demolished in the 1950s. My mother, Lilian Ellen Preest left Lydney Grammar School and trained to be a nurse in London 1929-1933. She met my father when she was a nursing sister in a mobile unit, part of the Middle East Forces during WWII. She married my father on 1 September 1943 in Aleppo, Syria.
My grandfather George Preest was the deputy underground inspector for the New Fancy NCB colliery, died December 1949. He was a freeminer as were many of the Preests from Bream, mostly.
I am searching roots for the surname Preest which our family believes comes from Carmarthenshire, Wales. The National Archives holds an early record for a John Preest in Gloucestershire, a tax document from the 13th century.
The surname Preest, also others eg. Preece have derivations to ap Rhys - Lord Rhys, Rhys ap Gruffyd and the ancient rulers of Wales. Lord Rhys died in 1197. Have much info. on this guy if anyone interested in researching family links to the Forest.

Preest family, Moseley Green

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 20:25 (2270 days ago) @ Gillymott

An acknowledgement of your mother's achievement,

BNA Gloucester Citizen - Friday 06 October 1933

FOREST NURSE'S SUCCESS. Miss Lilian Preest, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. Preest, Council Villas, Yorkley, has been placed second in examinations at the Central Middlesex County Hospital, and second in the whole county. Miss Preest, who is a nurse at the Hospital, is well known in the Forest.

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 10:37 (2269 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you so much Mike. Yes I have my mother's original certificate which is beautiful,
with dark red seal and very big. She was awarded the county silver medal for Middlesex, Gtr.
London and her name put on the hosp. honours board 1933. We've lost that medal and also her army rank medal from WII. We, her children were born in the hospital after the war.
The Nursing Council Register 1898 up to 1968 is available on Ancestry.co.uk and reveals name,
training hospital & date of qualifications and re-registering details. Available on subscription/pay as you go etc.
Wonderful if you have had nurses in your family.

by tuffers64, Cinderford, Thursday, January 11, 2018, 13:09 (2268 days ago) @ Gillymott

Just to clarify a point and not wishing to be pedantic - New Fancy was never an NCB colliery as it closed in 1944, a few years before the coal mining industry was nationalised. The government did run the coal industry under the Coal Commission at time of closure.
Apologies
Dave T

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Thursday, January 11, 2018, 14:26 (2268 days ago) @ tuffers64

Thanks Tuffers, tuff eh, my grandfather died of silicosis (mine dust), my mother told me.
Nothing to do with silicone or silicone polish, she added. At least he retired before the
mine closed. Liked the pub.

RSS Feed of thread