A question of illigitimacy - and father from The Forest? (General)

by sophiewilliams @, Sunday, March 18, 2018, 19:59 (2230 days ago)

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me with a family mystery that might unlock the mystery of who my maternal great grandfather was.... apparently a Forest man was all my mum knows about her grandad as he wasn't talked about.

I wondered if anyone knows anything or it rings any bells although it's all a long time ago I do appreciate

A question of illigitimacy - and father from The Forest? 2

by sophiewilliams @, Sunday, March 18, 2018, 20:02 (2230 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

(For some reason didn't post rest so here it is ....)

Mygreat maternal grandmother Alice Bick (nee Goode) holds a secret. Alice was born Alice Goode in Brampton Abbots, nr Ross, Herefordshire in 1876. Alice married a George Bick (of Aston Ingham) in Foy Church in 1899 and they went on to have two children - Ada (1900) and Alice May (1905) or May as everyone called her.

George Bick died in the asylum in Hereford in January 1916 leaving Alice with two children and also pregnant with my grandmother Kathleen. The thing is, George was in the Asylum when Alice got pregnant.......

Part 3 ...

by sophiewilliams @, Sunday, March 18, 2018, 20:04 (2230 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

Having trouble with posting all of this message sorry ...

Alice then went on to marry a David Waters in 1917. I've connected, through Ancestry, with David's family through matches we've had but we don't match up through Ancestry DNA matches - so this rules out Alice getting pregnant with David's child before they married which is what we always thought.

Ada was 16 when her half sister Kathleen was born and we have wondered if Kath was actually Ada's child which would be interesting and Alice covered for her so to speak. Very conveniently Kathleen doesn't have a birth certificate and Alice apparently gave birth to her on her own at Hole-in-the-Wall. Very suspicious and mum says it just wasn't talked about when she was a little girl, Kath told my mum she knew she was illigitimate and that her father was from the Forest. Just as a sidenote, George was from Aston Ingham and David from Dancing Green, very close/just in forest but his parents were originally from Jarrow!

I'm still holding out that one day a DNA match will appear that leads me to my great grandfather's family.

In the meantime, this might ring a bell with someone out there.

Thanks for reading!

Sophie

Part 3 ...

by Carole41, Friday, March 30, 2018, 23:45 (2218 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

I have Forest of Dean ancestors and have taken an Ancestry.com DNA test. My user nae on Ancestry is Carole41. I wonder if I show up in your matches?

Part 3 ...

by sophiewilliams @, Saturday, March 31, 2018, 07:01 (2218 days ago) @ Carole41

I have Forest of Dean ancestors and have taken an Ancestry.com DNA test. My user nae on Ancestry is Carole41. I wonder if I show up in your matches?

Hi Carole

Thank you for your message. When I type in Carole41, it comes up with a "Carole G Gilmour"? Living in USA?

Would that be yourself? (And I don't match up).

Kind regards

Sophie

RSS Feed of thread