Marriage Rychard Hill and Sibel (General)

by spiner910, Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 17:04 (2207 days ago)

I've been searching for months for the marriage of Rychard Hill (c1541-1608) and his wife Sible (c1545-1635) (Variety of spellings).

The have 2 areas of evidence for their marriage

1. her name alongside Richard's on the baptismal records of their many children (all checked in Parish records on here, Ancestry, Find My Past and Family Search.)
2. She is named as his wife in Richard's will.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a marriage please?

There are several trees on Ancestry who have her surname as Woodward, but they have no sources and contain other copied errors, so I'm inclined to find them suspect.

The first child I have for them is in 1573, so the marriage would be around then I expect.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Marriage Rychard Hill and Sibel

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 18:11 (2207 days ago) @ spiner910

? This is a 'bit of a long shot'

? Why does Richard HILL residence of Dimocke - travel 10 miles to Hartpury to have 'Elinor christened 18 Jan 1573

? There is a Will in old English handwriting on Ancestry for Eleanor WOODWARDE (Widow) dated 1581 - of Hartpury - and it's very difficult to read, but half-way down ? there is possible mention of her daughter Sibble HYLL (on the 20th line) - (early records show HILL can be spelt this way) - Early on talks about (Eleanor Hill and leaving money - on the 8th line)

It needs a few pair of eyes to read the Will

? might be other HYILLS etc listed (Johan etc)

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 18:55 (2207 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Other WOODWARD Wills on Ancestry may shed clues e.g.

The Will of William WOODWARD of Twyning 1564, mentions a Sybil WOODWARD - and other names - so difficult to read these early Wills

---

Tree on Ancestry

Sybil WOODWARD - Dec 1545, Hartpury

parents: John WOODWARD 1515-1568 and Elinor ARNOLD/YARNOLD - 1519-1581

by rhianonturrell @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 10:12 (2206 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I agree this does mention Sibble Hill - I think what appears to be a y is the tail of an ornate h and there are several other Hills mentioned.I think the rest of the names in the will are do-able but the whole text would be quite a lengthy job.

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 14:26 (2206 days ago) @ rhianonturrell

Held at Gloucestershire Archives

Reference: D640/T81 ***

Description: Messuages and lands

Including probate of Jn Woodward yeo 1567/8; and writ to J.P.s to receive fealty of Ellen, widow of J.W. for lands in Hartpury, with form of oath affixed, 1581

Date: 1567/8-1608

Physcial Description: 7 documents

-----

Early Hartpury records on Ancestry - don't go back that far.

If you click on the number is does include other information inc: Will of Richard YARNOLD, Hartpury etc.

Looking at the datebase the date of the Will is 1544

Incredibly clear writing in Old English on Ancestry - not idea what is says - obviously starts off In the Name of God etc

by rachelfry1970, Saturday, July 28, 2018, 13:40 (2098 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Hi
John Woodward's will from 1568 (on Ancestry) refers to daughters Margerie and Sybille who don't appear to be married at this date.

His wife, Eleanor's, will from 1581 refers to Sybill Hill as well as Johane Hill and Richard Hill the younger which ties in with the children of Richard and Sybil Hill who were born by that date.

I have seen other trees on Ancestry with a date of 1569 for the marriage of Richard and Sybil but I cannot find any sources.

RSS Feed of thread