Vicars & Ministers in various Churches (General)

by HalkyardT, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 20:44 (2171 days ago)

Hi i have found Various references for Baptisms/marriages & Burials on this & other sites. I have the names of the Vicars & Ministers in attendance but do not know the name of the church the vent was in. Does anyone know what churches the following Vicars & Ministers served in:

John Harris in Ruardean around 1773
J. H. Beeston in Ruardean around 1791 to 1808
B. Thickins in Ruardean around 1813
G. D. Fosbroke in Ruardean around 1830
William Parry in Mitcheldean around 1771
John Copner in English Bicknor around 1791
J. Morse in Drybrook arouns 1818
R. T. Budd in Drybrook around 1841
William Lockett in Drybrook around 1862
George Ridout in Newland around 1837
Alfred Sotching in Hope Mansell around 1825
Henry C Davies in Hope Mansell around 1831
J. Sell in Abenhall around 1835

any help would be appreciated
thankyou Tracy

Vicars & Ministers in various Churches

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 23:51 (2171 days ago) @ HalkyardT

So far the BNA has yielded just this,

Gloucester Journal - Saturday 09 September 1865

Littledean Church Missionary Society

……………… the Rev. William Lockett, incumbent of the parish………………..

GR 1861 Census, Ruardean, White Hill,

William LOCKETT, Head, Mar, 33, Curate of Holy Trinity, b. Cheshire, Macclesfield
Mary Bunsley, Wife, 35, Cheshire, Macclesfield
+1 servant

But, also, from Census,

GR 1841 Census, Newland Parish, Lecturers House

George RIDOUT, 50, Clerk, Not born in County
John, 20, Ind, Born in County
Eliza, 15, Born in County
Mary Ann, 14, Born in County
+ 3 female servants

But,

Gr 1841 Census, Newland Parish, Vicarage,

Henry SHEPPARD, 30, Clerk, Not born in County
Mary, 40
Henry, 5, Born in County
Thomas , 3, Born in County
Henry, 70, Ind, Not born in County
Mary, 60, Not born in County
+ 3 female servants and 1 male servant

And then,

GR 1851 Census, Newland Parish, Newland Village

George RIDOUT, Head, Wid, 62, Vicar of Newland, b. London
Mary A, Daur, Un, 24, Glos, Newland
+ 2 servants

by HalkyardT, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 19:53 (2170 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thankyou for info...dont think i'm going to be able to trace the churches these people served. have tried on various search engines without any luck. I have the parish records info for various baptism/ marriages & burials for my family tree, but they only state for instance: in 'Ruardean' by 'J. H. Beeston' i would like to know which of the churches in 'Ruardean' it was at. As i'm doing the family tree i'm trying to keep a record of the churches used by the families. a bit of a long shot.
thankyou anyway

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 20:28 (2170 days ago) @ HalkyardT

This seems to suggest that R.T.Budd was associated with Holy Trinity, Drybrook,

GR 1841 Census, Parsonage House, Holy Trinity, Quarry Hill (near Harry or Harrow Hill).

Henry BIRKIN, 60, Rector, born in county
Maria Louisa, 70, not born in county
+ 4 servants

Not far away, also at Quarry Hill, is

Richard BUDD, 23, Curate, not born in county
Amelia UNDERWOOD, 15, Servant, born in county
Sarah Ann PUGMORE, 9, Ind, born in county

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:50 (2167 days ago) @ HalkyardT

I am slightly puzzled by the wording of the original posting - if the event, e.g. a baptism is recorded as having taken place in a particular church then that is where the baptism took place: the vicar/curate, etc. may have been the priest at another church (or covered several churches as is often the practice now).

"B. Thickins in Ruardean around 1813" B. Thickins was Rev. Bowen Thickins of Ross-on-Wye. His wife, Elizabeth, was buried there in 1799, and he in 1825 (see parish records on this site). An advertisement in the Hereford Journal of 4 September 1811 indicated that he also oversaw Hope Mansel (St. Michael) Church.
TO THE CLERGY
WANTED immediately, a resident CURATE
for the Parish of Hope Mansel, near Ross, Here-
fordshire --- For particulars apply (if by letter post
paid), to the Rev. Bowen Thickins, Ross.

"G. D. Fosbroke in Ruardean around 1830" Rev. Thomas Dudley Fosbroke was vicar of Walford (there are several newspaper references to this). He died in January 1842 and was buried in Walford churchyard (see parish records on this site). The burial record confirms that he was vicar of Walford, but he was also curate of Ruardean. Report in the Hereford Times 3 February 1844 -
On Thursday, the Reverend Henry Formby, M.A.,
was admitted to the Perpetual Curacy of Ruardean, in
the county of Gloucester, vacant by the
death of the Rev. T. D. Fosbroke. Patron, the Rev.
Thomas Huntingford, Precentor of Hereford Cathedral

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 11:57 (2167 days ago) @ HarryBrook

The Revs. Thickins and Fosbroke being Church of England priests they would have officiated at Ruardean (St. John the Baptist). This is the only church in Ruardean. There were two chapels.

Mike posts above - William Lockett curate of Holy Trinity: this would be Drybrook (Holy Trinity)
George Ridout at Newland: this would be Newland (All Saints).

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 16:05 (2167 days ago) @ HarryBrook

"J. H. Beeston in Ruardean around 1791 - 1808" - Ruardean (St. John the Baptist) Church. Rev.
John Howton Beeston was vicar of Walford and died there in 1811, burial at Walford on 17 April.

Announcement in the Hereford Journal of 5 September 1849 refers to his connection with Ruardean.
Aug. 28, at Ross, deeply regretted, in her 87th years, Alicia,
youngest daughter of the late John Stratford Collins, Esq., of Wythall,
Walford, and relict of the Rev. John Howton Beeston, M.A., Rector
of Hope Mansell and vicar of Walford, in this county cum Ruar-
dean, Gloucestershire.

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 19:14 (2167 days ago) @ HarryBrook

"R. T. Budd in Drybrook around 1841" was Rev. Richard Trist Budd, B.A., Curate of Drybrook (Holy Trinity) Church under the Rev. Henry Berkin. He had graduated from Magdalene College, Cambridge.

1841 census. He was recorded at Quarry Hill (same location as Drybrook (Holy Trinity)Church) apparently lodging with Richard Howell a schoolmaster.
Richard Howell 35 schoolmaster
Sarah Howell 35
Richard Budd 23 Curate
+ one servant.

Richard Trist Budd was born in Cornwall in 1817 and died in Uxbridge, Middlesex in 1861.
He was ordained a Priest by the Bishop of Gloucester, at Gloucester Cathedral, on Sunday 19 December 1841 (report in the Gloucester Journal).

by HalkyardT, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 19:38 (2167 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Hi sorry if my original post was confusing....all i had was for instance 'Elizabeth Roberts Baptised/or Married/ or Buried, Minister/ or Vicar ect...the date then in Ruardean/or Newland ect... it did not give the church by name only who ministered there, & in such as Ruardean there are more than 1 church or chapel. That is why i listed the names of the ministers hoping to find out where they worked.
looking through your following posts, you have given me some info to work from & confirmed the ones i had already found myself, so i thankyou for your help. Tracy x

by janehope @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 19:45 (2167 days ago) @ HalkyardT

If querying vicars and where they served I've often used this site. http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

It might help with searches.

Jane Hope

by HalkyardT, Monday, April 23, 2018, 18:44 (2166 days ago) @ janehope

Thanks for that will keep as a future reference.

by RogerrGriffiths @, Swindon, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:26 (2165 days ago) @ HalkyardT

You have George Ridout. He took over All Saints, Newland from Henry Douglas. All Saints, the Forest Cathedral. There's even a photograph of George Ridout on the Net, 1850's? Newland had Chapels of Ease. Satellite chapels, easier to get to in a large parish. Clearwell, Coleford, Redbrook and Bream.

RSS Feed of thread