House Numbering at Newham (General)

by NElkins, Sunday, April 29, 2018, 15:14 (2189 days ago)

Seeking help in finding any documents that are available that list the numbers for houses in Newnham High Street. There are confusing fragments of house numbers so I am hoping there is a document indicating the roots of any numbering system.
NormanE

House Numbering at Newham

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Sunday, April 29, 2018, 15:27 (2189 days ago) @ NElkins

Maybe the Lloyd George Survey of Land Values? It has maps with lists of the properties and the lists include house numbers.

https://www.glos1909survey.org.uk/

by peteressex @, Wednesday, May 09, 2018, 07:35 (2180 days ago) @ probinson

Not many properties in and around Newnham appear to have been numbered street-wise way back, but the Lloyd George survey did prove of great interest to me. Under entry number GA/D/2428, there's a house and garden near Newnham station and a footnote says "Occupant changed to A E Sterrey." He was none other than my grandmother's brother, who appears with his wife Rose nee Houldey and son Albert Henry Hector Sterrey (known as Bert) under "Station Cottage, Newnham" in the 1911 census. You can get to the 1911 census through findmypast.co.uk as well as through Gloucestershire Archives and it might give you more clues on property numbering in the main street.

by RogerrGriffiths @, Swindon, Friday, August 24, 2018, 10:53 (2072 days ago) @ peteressex

My grandfathers brother Thomas Henry Griffiths (1871 to 1940), retired Met. Police constable, lived at No. 4, High Street for a few years. He retired 1926. He and his wife Ellen were on the Register of Electors 1929 BUT no house numbers given. Also 1934 and 1935.

I had to ask people in High Street where Thomas Henry and family lived. Luckily there was a neighbour who remembered them and the house number, No. 4.

by peteressex @, Friday, August 24, 2018, 12:14 (2072 days ago) @ RogerrGriffiths

As a point of family history interest, Roger, I wonder if you have ever heard any suggestion that Thomas Griffiths came across my grandfather William Frank Essex during his service in the Metropolitan Police. He became a Chief Inspector and was variously stationed (to the best of my recollection) at Brixton, Kennington, Golders Green and Finchley. He served 1911-1938. He was born in Cheltenham 1888, but soon moved to Lydney where he was married in 1913 and retired back to in 1946, dying there in 1961. He was the brother-in-law of Arthur Sterrey of Station Cottage, Newnham, mentioned earlier in this thread. Lydney actually produced another senior Metropolitan Police officer in that era in the form of Bob Sterry who ended up as Chief Superintendent at Uxbridge. Somewhere, I have seen a poster that was up in the Forest of Dean advertising opportunities in the police in London. It obviously worked!

by RogerrGriffiths @, Swindon, Friday, August 24, 2018, 13:27 (2072 days ago) @ RogerrGriffiths

Admin., I wrote a long reply to Peteressex re housenumbering in Newnham. When I posted it, message came up 'not authorised'. Can you sort out please.

Lengthy Posts and how not to lose them

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, August 24, 2018, 14:08 (2072 days ago) @ RogerrGriffiths

We regret to say that there is nothing we can do to recover the message as you were most likely timed out and it was never sent to the server. Our advice to users when presented with this response is to press the browser back button and the message will generally be recovered from the cache on your computer. Next step is to copy and paste it to a text file, log back in to the site and post again.
The time available to prepare a post is governed by the server and for security reasons the server will automatically disconnect after a period of inactivity. In cases where the preparation of a post is taking a long time users can upload to the server using the preview button and thereby keep the line open but the best advice we can give is prepare the post offline, login and copy and paste the message to the site.
Finally if you still have the webpage open there is a chance you may still be able to recover your message by use of the browser back button.

Admin

by RogerrGriffiths @, Swindon, Friday, August 24, 2018, 14:48 (2072 days ago) @ RogerrGriffiths

Sorry Peter, lost it.

Thomas Henry Met. 1900 to 1926. 1st Woolwich Division. Warrant no. 86050.

Transferred to Royal Dockyards 1914.

Buried St Peters, Newnham, no gravestone but as burials in date order, can be seen where he is.

Our greatgrandmothers father James Evans, Glos. Constabulary Warrant no. 300 1839 to 1852. Post Station Newnham, and then Minchinhampton.

RSS Feed of thread