Proving my Worgan descent (General)

by anthonyworgan @, Friday, May 04, 2018, 15:44 (2184 days ago)

For many years I have believed that my direct ancestor Anthony Worgan d 1746 was the grandson of Thomas Worgan, who was named as a son with 4 unnamed children in the 1668 WILL of his father Richard Worgan of English Bicknor.

Recently I was browsing on the National Archives website and came across a reference to a Litigation Bill 'Worgan v Wyndham 1714' on their online catalogue. The actual documents have not been digitised and cannot be downloaded, so I ordered the 3 quoted. They were expensive but saved me the equally expensive train fare to Kew. After transcribing the Bill document (very large - 3ft x 3ft and difficult to work on) it confirmed my theory.

Plaintiffs: Anthony Worgan (great grandson and heir of Richard Worgan and Sybil Worgan his wife; i.e. son and heir of John Worgan, who was son and heir of Thomas Worgan, the eldest son and heir of said Richard Worgan and Sybil Worgan his wife.
Defendants: Francis Wyndham, esq and William Symons alias William Holder

Apart from the genealogical details, the documents revealed that there was conflict within the family which was caused by Anthony Worgan d 1694 (a younger brother of Thomas) disputing a claim over inheritance rights of an enfeoffment (land held in trust) at Clowerwall - old name for Clearwell.

Without the benefit of surviving baptism/marriage/burial records for Thomas and his family, I can now positively link up 5 generations of my Worgan ancestors from these documents.
As a footnote: it seems that Thomas, 'went overseas and continued there to his death' so no wonder there was no WILL or trace of a burial for him in the Forest of Dean parish registers!

Proving my Worgan descent

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, May 04, 2018, 16:34 (2184 days ago) @ anthonyworgan

'Without the benefit of surviving baptism/marriage/burial records for Thomas and his family'

Assume you have from the records

Marriage by licence: 24 January 1662

Thomas WORGAN, aged 25, batchelor : Gentleman: residence: Clowerwall parish of Newland

Anne RICKETTS, aged 30 - Spinster, residence: Clowerwall

by licence

Event type: Marriage Allegation

--

Men in Amour for Gloucestershire 1608

http://www.coaley.net

CLEARWELL (Forest of Dean)

Robert WORGAN unable in body findeth half a corslet

Richard WORGAN has one corslet furnished **

John WORGAN Senior and Christopher WORGAN unable in bodies have between them one corslet furnished

** Ancestry: England & Wales Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills : Richard WORGAN of Clowerwall, 20 January 1653 (wishes to be buried in Newland, and mentions various children etc)

Proving my Worgan descent

by anthonyworgan @, Saturday, May 05, 2018, 11:25 (2183 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks for your reply but unfortunately I don't think the Thomas linked to the Anne Ricketts you suggested is my Thomas. He is more likely to have been the Thomas son of Richard Worgan of Clowerwall/Newland (WILL dated 14 Dec 1652 & proved 20 Jan 1653/4) who married a Jane Unknown. Children: Thomas b circa 1637 (to be 25 in 1661/2), Anne b circa 1638, Blanche b 1641, Jane & Richard (of unknown birth dates).

Whereas my Thomas was born probably circa 1625 with siblings: Dorothy (unknown birth date), Richard (unknown birth date) & Anthony Worgan d 1694. Their parents: Richard of English Bicknor who married Sibell Whitson (1594-1677/8)

The Litigation Bill also mentions that Thomas had 3 sons, Richard the eldest who died without issue, John d 1691 (my ancestor) who then became the eldest son & another younger son. The fourth unnamed child of the 1668 WILL was probably a daughter Sibell.

The Thomas linked to Anne Ricketts appears not to have had any children. However, I always keep an open mind because of the condition of the parish registers of Newland/Staunton/English Bicknor - there are many missing names & dates so nothing is certain!

Many years ago I spent one lovely day at the Society of Genealogists in London & photo-copied all of the Forest of Dean people mentioned in the Men & Armour for Gloucestershire 1608. A wonderful resource which has helped me a lot over the years.

RSS Feed of thread