Photographs (General)

by BFHS, Friday, May 18, 2018, 09:23 (2163 days ago)

I am looking for photographs (should any exist) of certain Inns or Alehouses in the Forest of Dean that were occupied by my Burgum and Burgham ancesters. I am looking for pictures or information I could add to my family history website at www.burgumfamily.co.uk/ref_pubs_hotels.php

They are -
The Parrot Inn, Hewelsfield. Eliza Burgham ran an alehouse for the Redbrook Brewery in 1891 and 1903.
The Prince of Wales, at Sparrow Hill, Coleford, ran by Oliver A. Burgham of the Redbrook Brewery in 1903.
The Royal Oak, Fetter Hill, Coleford. It was run by Daniel Nelmes in 1891 and Louisa Banks (mother of Hannah Burgum) in 1903. I understand it was opposite The George and was demolished in about 1954.
Victoria Inn, Cinderford, owned by the Forest Brewery, in Mitcheldean, and ran by Elizabeth Burgham in 1891. It was sited almost opposite the Forge Hammer Inn, but was closed in 1900.

Thank you.

Doug Burgum

Photographs

by BFHS, Friday, May 18, 2018, 09:25 (2163 days ago) @ BFHS

Also the Bush Inn, at Redbrook.

Doug Burgum

Old Photographs, FoD pubs

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, May 18, 2018, 14:37 (2163 days ago) @ BFHS

Hi Doug,
Probably a silly question, but have you searched for prior-post about these pubs within this forum ?. Asking because any photos that exist in the "usual" photo websites and books would probably have been mentioned in those posts, I know I would have, I'm sure these pubs have been discussed before ?.

Such sites include this site's Gallery, http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/photo-gallery
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Default.htm
http://www.forestprints.co.uk/cinderford.htm
www.archive-images.co.uk/index.php (owned by Neil Parkhouse, a collector and the writer of some of the excellent local history Lightmoor Press books. Another huge archive collection).
http://www.oldukphotos.com/

etc

I've just had a flick thro' Heather Hurley's excellent book "The Pubs of the Royal Forest of Dean", couldn't find any period photos of the pubs you mention. There is a recent one of the Bush, not a pub now of course, and a mention that the building that was the Victoria in Cinderford is still there, but doesn't specify exactly where.
I commend this book to anyone interested in local pub history, as well as dozens of photos and images of old adverts etc, it also contain's many mentions of past landlords.

I'm sure you know there are several excellent books of old FoD photos, such as those by Humphrey Phelps, however they are not indexed and the images are usually very small, but still worth browsing thro'.
I've not been for a while, and I know they lost a lot of articles in their fire a few years back, but the Gage library at the Soudley Heritage museum should be worth visiting, best to contact in advance though.
https://www.deanheritagecentre.com/about-us/dean-heritage-museum-trust

Last but most def not least of course Geoff Sandles' books and website
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/FeatureFiller/index.php

Hope this helps, look forward to your reply and maybe helping further.
Jeff

Old Photographs, FoD pubs. Victoria Inn

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, May 18, 2018, 15:41 (2163 days ago) @ Jefff

This is the location of the Victoria and the best I can do from Google street view.

[image]

[image]

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, May 18, 2018, 16:26 (2163 days ago) @ probinson

Wow, thanks sir, clever man ref the map labels etc.
Did you already know where the pub was/is, or have you other reference books etc ?

Thanks J

ps hope you had success with Ancestry's 1939 Register t'other weekend ?. How did it compare to the FindMyPast site ? I found it brilliant and aggravating, depending on who I was looking for.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, May 18, 2018, 17:29 (2163 days ago) @ Jefff

Wow, thanks sir, clever man ref the map labels etc.
Did you already know where the pub was/is, or have you other reference books etc ?

Thanks J

ps hope you had success with Ancestry's 1939 Register t'other weekend ?. How did it compare to the FindMyPast site ? I found it brilliant and aggravating, depending on who I was looking for.

Hi Jeff,

I was born/grew up about 200 yds from there so know the area well. I also have an interest in the Victoria as I believe the one time owner was responsible for building the house I grew up in. Still researching that though.

The Victoria is shown on old maps so pretty easy to identify.

Yes, having the 1939 register on Ancestry is useful. I'm getting lots of new 'hints'. Still easier to go to FMP to search for an address though.

Photographs

by obscurasky @, Friday, May 25, 2018, 20:32 (2156 days ago) @ BFHS

Hello Doug,
We run the Fountain Inn, at Parkend, which was owned by Eliza Burgham between 1872 and 1895. We've quite a lot of information relating to her, but no photographs that old. Our pub isn't on your list, but if there's anything I can help with, let me know.

I have also emailed you on a semi-related matter.

Cheers,
Alan.

Photographs

by BFHS, Sunday, October 21, 2018, 11:28 (2007 days ago) @ obscurasky

Hi,
I live in Andorra and Spain now, but before that I lived on Bradley Hill. My parents Jo and John Burgum lived in Woodland Road, Parkend, while my sister Susan Allen owned the post office at Yorkley.

What sort of information and papers do you have about Eliza Burgham? Would it be difficult or expensive to have them copied? I would certainly like to pop in on one of my occasional returns to the UK.

My Burgum family mostly lived in Flaxley and Littledean, while other parts of the family lived in Lydney, Abenhall, Mitcheldean, then further north at Aston Ingram and Linton. I have spent 40 years chasing the History and placing it on the Burgum Family History Society website at www.burgumfamily.co.uk

Doug Burgum

Photographs

by obscurasky @, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 17:28 (2001 days ago) @ BFHS

Hello Doug.

The information I have relates to Eliza Burgham's ownership of our pub (The Fountain Inn at Parkend). I emailed you on Fri, 25 May 2018 with some photographs of our deeds showing when she bought and sold the pub, with a comment that they didn't match the details on the Burgham website. You didn't respond, but I notice that the details on your website have now gone - so I'm assuming that you did receive the email?

If you have any information relating to Redbrook Brewery's (Eliza Burgham's) ownership of the Fountain Inn, I really would love to see it.

Cheers,
Alan.

RSS Feed of thread