Christopher Brain / Brayn b.1744 Ruardean (General)

by Arrowhead @, Monday, June 04, 2018, 18:56 (2124 days ago)

I am trying to work out the parentage of Christopher Brain / Brayn b.1744 in Ruardean. In the parish records there is a Christopher that was born to a James and Margarett as is a Mary (b.1738). However, there is a marriage for what I believe to be that James in 1735 to a Mary Goode. Then when this James dies he names his son Christopher and wife MARY as beneficiaries in the will. As the marriage for James and Mary predates the birth of the children, the Will that mentions Mary being proved in the late 1760's and no trace of a marriage between a James Brain / Brayn and a Margarett I am confused. If someone could help it'd be much appreciated.

Christopher Brain / Brayn b.1744 Ruardean

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 08:34 (2123 days ago) @ Arrowhead

The transcripts of both baptisms on this site show that the PRs give the mother's name as Margarett but the BTs give it as Mary.

by Arrowhead @, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 10:44 (2123 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike. It is odd but guess that she may have been known locally as Margarett. Perhaps she was even Mary Margarett Goode (?). I'll work with BTs as they marry up with the other documents.

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 16:09 (2123 days ago) @ Arrowhead

James GOOD of Ruardean, married Jane BENNETT of Ruardean - by banns 6 January 1758

Witness 1: James BRAIN and Joseph HARPER

Just reading the Will of Richard GOODE (Coalminer) 1759 of Ruardean mentions lots of names including Mary wife of James BRAYN..... who is one of his sisters, and Margaret BRADLEY (another sister) wife of John BRADLEY. I don't think Richard's parents are dead according to the Will

various signatures at the bottom including James BRAYN
---

Margaret BRADLEY buried at Ruardean 18 November 1774

by Arrowhead @, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 18:39 (2123 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks MP. It all helps to confirm the right person. Looking at some trees on Ancestry makes it difficult to understand how some concluded what they have. I am going to do another post with regards to his great-grandfather Giles as there is conflicting information with names there also.

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 18:48 (2123 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

James BRAYN Will dated 1766 - also talks about his son-in-law: Richard MARFIELD

Marriage at Ruardean: 13 February 1759

Richard MARFELL (NOTES state: MARFIELD in BT) - with consent of parents

MARY BRAIN, witnesses: Lucy & Mary JEFE

---

Baptism at Guardian: 12 February 1738

Mary BRAYN, parents: James & Mary

Notes: Dual page numbers in PR. Mother's name is Margaret in PR; and Mary in BT

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 19:34 (2123 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I've been trying to find the marriage of a John BRADLEY to a Margaret GOOD(E) without success. However, on the 18 October 1829 at Walford, John BRADLEY of Ruardean, married a Margaret SMART - and then started having children at Ruardean.

Looking at the marriage at Hope Mansell - 31 August 1713,

James GOODE of the Parish of Ruardean, married Mary SMART of the parish of Ruardean

Need to check whether Margaret was the daughter of Mary SMART

??and then we have at Ruardean

13 December 1707

Magret SMART, parents: Walter & Mary

Notes: Child is stated as Elizabeth in BT

Walter SMART buried at Ruardean: 9 June 1708

Walter SMART christened at Ruardean: 14 September 1669 - father Anthony

RSS Feed of thread