Stephen Blanch Family Bible 1815. (General)

by christine woodward ⌂ @, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 20:00 (2108 days ago)

My husband ancestor was Cornelius Hale who married Mary Blanch in 1837 at Abenhall.

In my search I have found a William, Thomas and John Blanch who I have been able to link through their wills and the census records of 1841 and 1851 to Mary Blanch.

From looking at the Ancestry website I have discovered a Stephen Blanch who had a family Bible with information concerning two brothers Joseph and Stephen who died at the Futteral Mine in 1815.

Can anyone help with the details that is within the bible.

Thank you for any help you are able to help me.

From
Christine Woodward

Stephen Blanch Family Bible 1815.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, July 12, 2018, 02:00 (2108 days ago) @ christine woodward

Hi Christine,
sadly I don't currently have access to Ancestry, and am a little confused by your query.
Please can you clarify, are you asking for help accessing or reading the Bible info which may, or may not, be visible on Ancestry, or are you asking for general background info, abt the accident at the mine, and perhaps more abt your BLANCH ancestors ?

If it's the latter, for starters please see this prior forum post. (Unless of course you are also the "ChrisW" who transcribed this Inquest !?)
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=10762

Stephen Blanche and "Futteral" (aka Fetterhill) is broefly mentioned in this history of Darkhill colliery.
http://lightmoor.co.uk/forestcoal/CoalDarkhill.html

Sadly very little appears to be known about Fetterhill pit
http://lightmoor.co.uk/forestcoal/CoalFetterhill.html

Hoping you can please help us to help you,

many thanks, Jeff.

by shepway @, Thursday, July 12, 2018, 14:41 (2108 days ago) @ Jefff

Futteral Colliery is better known as Hopewell Engine. Go to:
http://lightmoor.co.uk/forestcoal/CoalHopewellEng.html

Mike

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, July 12, 2018, 20:43 (2107 days ago) @ shepway

Thanks Mike, very interesting.

It also helps explain why I couldn't find the pit in the map included within this article about Coalmines in Coleford area before 1850.
However it does include a brief mention that "Blanch & James" owned "Fetteral" pit at least as early as 1841, quite productive output too.
https://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/1980/gi198038.pdf

by christine woodward ⌂ @, Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 11:40 (2046 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks for responding.

My interest is in knowing the names of children listed hopefully from 1810 to 1817 that were born.

My husband ancestor was Mary Blanch. She married Cornelius Hale in 1838. From looking at her history and marriages she was associated with I have linked her to I believe to three brothers. The first was John born at Ellwood in 1800. He was baptised. Two more brothers I believe that were baptised were Thomas and William 1809 and 1811, however Mary was not. I think the reason could be the disaster in the pit in the same year as her birth.

Hence my reason for wanting to check to see if she is mentioned in the bible.

Thank you again for answering me.

From Christine

by christine woodward ⌂ @, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 16:41 (2041 days ago) @ Jefff

The Fetterhill mine was shown in the inquest of Stephen and Joseph Blanch in 1815 as being located between Ellwood and Fetterhill. The Fetterhill road runs from Coalway Cross at the top to Parkend/Bream cross road at bottom.

Stephen Blanch the father of the above brothers up to the 1804 owned the Darkhill Pit and sold it to the Mushet family.

I hope this helps.

From
Christine

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, August 01, 2018, 22:31 (2087 days ago) @ christine woodward

On Ancestry I can see a reference to the bible of Stephen BLANCH and it gives dates for him of 1750 – 1804.

Gloucester Journal - Monday 15 May 1815

The report of the inquest into the deaths of Stephen and Joseph BLANCH at the Futteral mine gives their ages as 22 and 20 respectively. This corresponds to these baptisms from this site,

Record_ID: 99338
Entry_Number:
Year: 1793
Month: Jan
Day: 26
Parents_Surname: BLANCH
Child_Forenames: Stephen
Fathers_Forenames: Stephen
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P93 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 16
Parish_Chapel: Coleford

Record_ID: 99352
Entry_Number:
Year: 1794
Month: Aug
Day: 31
Parents_Surname: BLANCH
Child_Forenames: Joseph
Fathers_Forenames: Stephen
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Ellwood
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P93 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 16
Parish_Chapel: Coleford

Both entered at Newland as well. The inquest report mentions their father simply as Mr BLANCH.

I can’t see a Stephen BLANCH who died in 1804 but there is this entry from this site,

Record ID 263701
Entry Number 322
Year 1817
Month Jul
Day 20
Surname BLANCH
Forenames Stephen
Residence Standfast
Age at death 70 [years]
Officiating Minister Tho[mas] F Jennings
Event Burial
Cause of death