Watery Lane End (General)

by NElkins, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 17:34 (2080 days ago)

I have come across the location which looks like " Watery Lane End". Its on a census document from the general area of Popes Hill. There are lots of properties linked to this lane.
Would appreciate knowing it location
N. Elkins

Watery Lane End

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 21:03 (2080 days ago) @ NElkins

Can't really help but I've found, when I've been trying to find specific locations, that looking at adjacent census entries for recognisable buildings, such as pubs, helps to pinpoint where the location is.

Watery Lane End

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 09:00 (2080 days ago) @ NElkins

Could you give us the name - as the Enumerators notes on Page 1 - will talk his route through.

There is a baptism at Drybrook in 1839 (parents: William & Sarah BRISCOE) - residence: Watery Lane End - but they appear to have moved by 1841.

Watery Lane (without the End) is mentioned in other baptisms etc

Watery Lane End

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 11:20 (2079 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

This is from another Contributer which gives the Enumerator's Notes from the 1851 census

Westbury on Severn,
Newnham
District 4A

All that part of the Township of East Dean which comprises

Popes Hill
Hangman's Hill
Chestnuts Lodge
Greenway
Shapride Hill
Watery Lane End

----

Then I googled: Hangman's Hill Drybrook

and from the website

British History on Line

Forest of Dean - Settlement

about 18 pages but

"East of the Mitcheldean-Littledean road there were 15 cottages on the lower slopes of Chestnut Hill in 1782 some were on the south-western side at Waterend Lane (fn.358) on the Littledean boundary where six cottages stood on Crown Land in 1834." etc

Watery Lane End

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, July 20, 2018, 14:06 (2078 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

From https://www.fdean.gov.uk/media/3820/littledean-parish-plan.pdf

"Outside the village the parish contains scattered dwellings including Dean Hall, by the Newnham road, which for over two centuries belonged to the Pyrke family and was the principal residence in Littledean. In the 17th and 18th centuries several small settlements were formed by squatter development on waste ground just outside the Forest, notably at Callamore in the west but also on Dean hill in the southeast and at Waterend Lane (formerly Waterlane End) on the old Mitcheldean road in the north."

and

"At Waterend Lane five squatter cottages belonged to Littledean in 1679. Further north a homestead built by Richard Taylor (d. 1712) became known as the Greenway."

Greenway is clearly marked on old maps so that's a good reference.

Watery Lane End

by NElkins, Saturday, July 28, 2018, 09:07 (2070 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for all the replies to my Watery Lane Question.
I lived on Popes Hill and unknowingly walked there.
Thank you all
NormanE

RSS Feed of thread