Near identical baptism records. Is this just a coincidence? (General)

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 10:18 (2104 days ago)

I have these two baptism records. Could the similarities be a coincidence or might there be some other reason?

[image]

[image]

Near identical baptism records. Is this just a coincidence?

by shepway @, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 11:44 (2104 days ago) @ probinson

At that time Coleford was in the Parish of Newland. The baptism took place in Coleford Chapelry and appears in both registers.
Coleford Parish was founded in 1872.

Mike

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 11:56 (2104 days ago) @ shepway

That explains it then. Thanks Mike.

by RogerrGriffiths @, Swindon, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 13:33 (2104 days ago) @ probinson

In 1796, Coleford was a chapel of ease to All Saints, Newland. My ggreatgrandfathers sister Mary was baptised there in 1829. Remnants of the chapel of ease can still be seen. The 1872 church is a quite new building in a different part of Coleford. I can't remember now, I don't think Newland registers have double entries. Clearwell and Bream were originally chapels of ease. Clearwell has a new church (1830) and Bream was similar or a new church built(1813).

Added: Also Redbrook.

by obscurasky @, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 18:51 (2103 days ago) @ RogerrGriffiths

Thank you for raising this. Parkend was also in the Parish of Newland and it had previously occurred to me that this was a long way to travel to have a baby baptised, etc. From what you say this was probably not the case then. Do you know where Parkenders went for baptisms before the village church was built?

by shepway @, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 23:24 (2103 days ago) @ obscurasky

Using the Advanced Search:
Where Parkend is recorded as residence we establish the following:
Before 1798 Baptisms took place at Newland
From 1798 to 1822 the majority took place at Bream and the remainder at Newland.
From 1822 onwards Baptisms took place at Parkend.

Mike

by obscurasky @, Thursday, July 26, 2018, 08:26 (2099 days ago) @ shepway

Thanks Mike.

RSS Feed of thread